“This was an OK place. Not great.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in New Buffalo
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
“This was an OK place. Not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was a pretty average place. Seemed high priced for such a little town, but I suppose the casino causes that. Room was non-smoking, but did have a smokey smell. But service was good. Pool wasn't open at 10 a.m. as it said it would be. Very inadequate room for breakfast. Lots of people but no place to eat. Inadequately small breakfast room for size of hotel. Room and bathroom were pretty average.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Pretty clean although we stayed 3 days and our sheets were not changed, stains on the comforter(white??), carpet was not vacuumed in our room during our stay. Staff, some were friendly, others not so much. Price of room was higher than I was quoted over the phone and the manager was not going to give in. A very stubborn man! I'll get with corporate to get back what the owe me. We were told breakfast was until 10:00 am which was one of the reasons we stayed. A little past 9:00 Monday I took my 9 year old and 4 year old down to get a hard boiled egg for the 4 year old and yogurt for the 9 year old, the same manager tolde they close at 9:00 on weekdays. You could see the eggs and yogurt in the fridge but it was locked. I asked if I could just get an egg and yogurt for my children and he flat out said no, even after I told him that we were told 10:00 am from the staff and it was only a little past 9. He wasnt going to budge. We will never stay at this Comfort Inn again!

• Stayed July 2012
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

An impromptu road-trip to Chicago prompted our stay here.

The west coast of Michigan is a popular tourist area and we were pleased to find a room at a reasonable rate when we called at the last minute. The woman at the desk was very friendly and helpful even though it was late at night. We commented on the patio table and chairs in the parking lot, thinking that this would be a nice place to sit and have a beverage, as it was nearly midnight and the temperature was still in the nineties! She explained that the owner had provided them for smokers (the hotel is non-smoking). When we got to our room we were quite pleasantly surprised! The room was immaculate and well furnished with a large desk (free Wi-Fi), occasional chair and ottoman, refrigerator, and microwave. The king-sized bed was quite comfortable, with a down comforter and a selection of pillows from soft to firm. We stayed up for a while to unwind from the drive and enjoyed our beverages in the room. During the night the air-conditioner began to make a terrible racket, the sound of metal grating on metal would last for two minutes and would repeat every ten minutes. The hotel was full and we could not change rooms. We turning the unit off, but then it was too hot to sleep. After a fitful night of sleep, we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and were on the road again. When we checked out I noticed an adjustment of ten percent off the room price, not compensatory, but appreciated. I would definitely stay here again. However, I might not request room 322.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chi Town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Before you read this I want you to know I stay at a lot of hotels. We go to Vegas 3/4 times a year and stay 7-10 days at a time. I stay downtown Chicago, Rosemont, Florida, ect... I made it to Senior Reviewer by staying at a lot of hotels. This was teh WORST TRAETMENT EVER!! Seriously. After we stayed and called corporate they REFUSED TO DO ANYTHING. Even corporate was shocked. Choice did give me some points- which are useless because I will never stay here again, but this place refused to do a thing. Sidenote. I stayed again for the 3rd/4th of July since we had boughr advance pay rooms which cannot be refunded. After out stay- they charged us an extra 40 dollars...I assume because they knew I complained. It is still on my credit card, and they have not gotten back to me about it. Stay at One of the other 4 hotels and save yourself the grief.

Here is my letter to corporate:First of all, I hope you are having a great day. I am contacting you in regards to a stay which I did for my birthday, Friday June 15th 2012 at the Comfort Inn in New Buffalo Michigan. I am a frequent customer, and I have stayed at this particular location several times. We booked at this hotel, over the one next door due to the microwave and refrigerator that we are provided with the room, plus we had never had any issues with this hotel before and it is much newer than many of the hotels in the area. We had purchased a small cake, and food to microwave for my birthday since my diet pretty much restricts what I can eat due to a medical condition I have. Well, long story short, we put the food in the fridge, went out for the day, and came back at the end of the night to eat. The fridge was broken. It made a noise like it was turning on, but it did not turn on or get cool. We called down, and the woman working the front desk was really nice and said she would come up. I carried the fridge from our room to another room, and switched out the fridges, but at this point the food was all melted and so was my cake. Very depressing. Top put a cherry on top of my melted cake, we had asked for a 12 p.m. check out when we checked in, which we have received each time we have stayed at this hotel. The woman was nice enough to say to give us the 12 p.m. check out. Well, the next morning while I am in the shower housekeeping knocks and starts to come in. We told her that we have a 12 p.m. check out. She said – “Well how much longer are you going to take?” Got on her phone called downstairs and began to complain about us. I called downstairs, and asked the girl who answered the phone to speak to her manager, she quickly and with an attitude said, yeah there’s a manager right here- then she stated to the manager while I am on the other end of the phone, “This guy won’t leave the room and now he wants to complain about his fridge not working!” Well, at this point I was not having a happy birthday at all. We hurried up and got out, since that was how we were made to feel. I went to talk to the manager and he said, that “fridges don’t come with the rooms. “ I really don’t get what that means since every room had a fridge/freezer. It was just that this one did not work. I know it all may sound a bit dramatic, but for a loyal customer to have a worker talk so rudely about me – well I just don’t get it. I work hard for my money and even on a bad day I treat all of the people I work with and my students with respect. I save up to specifically stay at Comfort Inn many times throughout the year. I spent almost $400 to stay there for two days before. I was booking my room stay for the 3rd and 4th of July and I really want to stay loyal to Choice Hotels because I like the loyalty program, but I feel something should be done to at least make me feel like this was “made right” in some way. My food, cake were replaceable, but the way I was spoke to, on what was supposed to be a fun day, I just don’t understand. I plan on booking my next stay today, but I will await a response before I do. I am a Top Contributor(Highest Ranking) on Tripadvisor and love to write reviews, but I have not written my review for this stay yet, since this is pretty much the review. I do greatly appreciate your time and I hope you have a great day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kenosha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My bf and I stayed here while visiting the Four Winds Casino. I thought it was a little pricey for the type of hotel, but it seemed to be the same at comparable properties in the area, and certainly cheaper than staying at the casino itself. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We appreciated the fact that there was a shuttle to the casino, but ended up not needing it. The free breakfast was more than I expected, with egg and sausage biscuits and waffles plus the normal continental fare. I used the computer in the lobby to check email, but it is not so private being next to the elevator and facing the room. The room itself was clean and newer.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed at this Comfort Inn on May 31st, 2012. The desk staff person was very friendly and also helpful when we asked about things we needed. It was very modern, clean and they had a many choices for breakfast. Comfy bed, lots of pillows. We did hear doors in the middle of the night but one could expect that at any hotel. We would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Rude Staff? What? Long story short, I have stayed in many hotels, even the designer labels and I would have to say by far this place for the money was Extremely Clean, Home Friendly, and Very comfortable! I visited for Four Winds Casino and researched this property very well. Made my decision, and was extremely pleased. The staff was absolutely not rude at all. They helped me very much with shuttle info to the casino, which I recommend this location for its free ,very close, on time, and your there, and back! No need to drink and drive! Also very quiet. A very good experience and would come back again! I highly recommend~!
Mr. Gambler.

Room Tip: I always found staying on the top most floor works best, so no one is making noise above you!