“Double Winner” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 39 restaurants in New Buffalo
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: At front, a casual diner serving breakfast and lunch daily from 8:30am - closed Tuesday. At rear, a cozy take-home store offering some of Grateful Diner's most popular offerings as well as a wide assortment of delicious muffins, cupcakes and cookies - just like you'd make if you only had the time. Grateful Catering will help make your event one to remember.
Granger, Indiana
“Double Winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

The name says old time place but it is anything but. Great food, service, and value if these are retro then it has the right name. I expected a 50's themed diner, greasy, heartburn. They have healthy choices 21st century style. The food is locally grown certainly more natural than any 50's diner.
My wife and I split a scramble of sausage and mushrooms last Monday morning after a walk on the beach. Enough for each of us which included 2muffins, strawberries and cantaloupe slices. $11 for the scramble and 2.50 more for each coffee. We sat outside. The resturant was busy at 10:00.
There is an adjoining bakery, Kite's Kitchen. We took a look after eating. Our muffins were from Kites. We picked up some pastery and chocolate chip cookies. All delicious. So retro and kites are a double winner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Chicago, Illinois
“Great spot for breakfast or lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I've been to Retro twice now and loved both visits. This is a small, friendly spot on one of the main streets in New Buffalo, and quite popular, especially for breakfast on Sundays. Retro emphasizes organic, fair trade and natural ingredients in their dishes, which I like, since I cook with organic ingredients at home. Both times I've had a traditional breakfast with scrambled eggs, sausage (I opted for turkey sausage) and whole grain toast. The eggs were a perfect texture: not too runny, not tough, the whole grain bread was even better than my usual pick at Whole Foods, and the jams and jellies on offer were yummy. I love that the waitress kept our coffee cups filled and was friendly and efficient. Other options are frittatas, waffles, pancakes, French toast; the usual breakfast fare. Lunch items include a nice offering of salads, sandwiches and soups.

If you're in the New Buffalo area, stop by for breakfast or lunch, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited October 2011