“Charming, boutique style hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Harbor Grand

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Buffalo
The Harbor Grand
You added The Harbor Grand to your Saves list
111 West Water Street, New Buffalo, MI 49117 (Formerly Harbor Grand Hotel)   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in New Buffalo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brunswick, Georgia
“Charming, boutique style hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We have stayed at the Harbor Grand numerous times and we have never been disappointed. Our last visit was in August. The hotel was booked to capacity but still service was outstanding and our room was very quiet. It is a beautiful hotel with all the amenities you could ask for. We have always had a harbor view room which offers a great view of the harbor and the lake. The hotel is right in town and there are many restaurants nearby. The Stray Dog is a favorite of ours. If you are looking for a romantic week-end getaway the Harbor Grand is the place. We wish the bar area was open later than 10:00 p.m. Also the bartender didn't know how to make a martini which we thought was odd. We can overlook that considering how great everything else was.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Hinsdale, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on a Friday/Saturday. This was our second time we stayed at Harbor Grand. We like this hotel because it is small and located so close to town and the beach. The services provided are wonderful: breakfast basket, free bikes and beach chairs. The staff is VERY kind and friendly. When booking this time, I thought I booked a whirlpool room, but when we arrived and saw the room, it was a village view suite with just a tub/shower. The front desk kindly switched us without a question and they were very accomodating. The only downside is the cost... but you get what you pay for...This hotel has the service of a bed/breakfast! We will be back.

Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

When visiting new Buffalo this is your place. Staff is wonderful. We came on Holiday weekend we were treated wonderfully. We just happened to call to see if they had any rooms available and were checked in 15 mins. later. Parking is just outside the front door, safe and secure. Just steps away from downtown. Bikes, pool, spa all for the taking without charge.
Nice terrace wine bar and dining. You look out over harbor as you eat.
Julie at the front desk was excellant. The room has free parking and a breakfast delivered to your room included.

Stay here, they do make you feel at home. Unlike the sister property the Marina Grand Resort.
Same pricing as Sister Resort, but at this one you get much more for your money

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at the Harbor Grand. We had a lakeview King room on the third floor. We could see the marina and Lake Michigan from our room. Pluses: Massage that we booked, Quietness of the hotel- we barely heard other guests on our floor and the hotel was booked. breakfast basket - but I would recommend the breakfast bread over the non toasted bagel as one of the choices, centrally located, larger than normal bathroom, walking distance to Lake Michigan.

The negatives: pool looked cloudy so we never used it, Grill for the restaurant was below our room so we could smell the grills up until 11:00 - not bad at first but it gets overwhelming after about an hour or so. With the room window open it does get a bit noisy with people sitting at the restaurant. Food at the restaurant is just ok - with so many other restaurants in the area; I don't think we'd eat here again.

Chicago area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Within only 2 minutes of my arrival to the hotel my whole experience was ruined. I hadnt been out of town in over a year and was only able to get away for 1 night so the attitude I was given at this hotel was especially disappointing to me. I arrived at the hotel with a relative I was traveling with. We waited in line a couple minutes to check in because there was another customer in front of us. The check in clerk was very friendly, smiling, and explaining in great detail all the ammenities and other details about the hotel such as bike rentals, beach towel rentals, that the hotel has a restaurant indoor & outdoor seating options, pool hours, check out time, and about the fact that upon check in you are giving a card to hang outside the hotel room door for breakfast, and giving them detailed directions how to get to their room. Well, as soon as I went to the desk to check in, the smile disappeared from his face. He didnt tell me even 1 detail about the hotel, didnt hand me a breakfast card, he basically didnt say anything to me other than ask my name, when the reservation was for, and shoved the room key in my hand. That was it!! He also failed to give me a parking ticket that guests are required to put on their windshield. I only found this out because another guest walked in the lobby with hers. I knew there was a restaurant in the hotel, but purposely asked him just to hear how he would answer me. His response was "Yes there is" in a mono tone voice. I could have chalked his lack of going into any sort of detail about the hotel facicilites to perhaps he thought I overheard him telling all this to the customer who had been in front of me while I was waiting in line, but immediately after he was done with me, a couple who had been standing behind me and waiting in line were then told by this clerk all the details about the hotel, just as he had done with the customer in front of me, they were given a breakfast card, told check out time, asked if they wanted to rent a bike for free, handed coupons for the outlet mall, given a parking ticket & so on. No, they didnt have a different hotel package than I did so that had nothing to do with it. He was just a jerk to me & my mother. Why, I dont know because I didnt say or do anything that could have caused this. He gave the royal welcome to all the other guests but me. I also came back in the lobby a few minutes later on purpose just to hear how he would treat other guest checking in & again he was going into great detail with all the others & remembering to give breakfast cards and parking tickets.
He treated me like I was a leper. I will never give a dime of my money to this hotel again. This clerk, who I hope reads this, should be ashamed of himself. Thanks for ruining my vacation. Hope your happy. Just remember what comes around goes around and I really hope next time you go on a vacation you get treated like garbage by a hotel clerk.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Middletown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

We were here for 1 night , but wished we could of stayed longer. Gloria , at the front desk is very friendly and helpful. Our room overlooked the marina. Very comfortable beds/pillows , clean room , clean bathrooom , and they will even bring breakfast to your room!. Plenty of restrauants nearby , and the beach is minutes away. We are planning on coming back next year!

• Stayed August 2009
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I took my 17 year old daughter on a mother-daughter swing to the Harbor Coast, prior to a college visit at St. Mary's. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this hotel was. It is a boutique hotel with five star amenities. The linens were great, bed was comfortable, bathroom had both a jacuzzi and huge shower with the nicest of toiletries. Beach chairs and towels were complimentary, along with bicycles. In addition, our room overlooked the harbor. We also had an opportunity to use the jacuzzi which was next to the indoor pool. Our "picnic basket" of expanded continental breakfast arrived on time and was fresh. Our hot chocolate and coffee were also hot. I can't say enough about this place and will definitely come back.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Harbor Grand? Share your experiences!