“Winter Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in New Buffalo
Bartlett, Illinois
“Winter Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed at the Harbor Grand for a long weekend for our anniversary. We got into town before check in time for a winery tour and we were able to check in early which was convenient. We had originally requested a 3rd floor room but opted for the 2nd floor room as the 3rd floor room was still occupied given how early we were. The view from our room was very beautiful, but I imagine the you could probably see the lake better from the 3rd floor. The room and decor were all very nice and went with the prairie style theme of the hotel. The bathroom was big with all the modern amenities. The mini fridge was especially nice for storing the drinks and snacks we brought with us. Breakfast was very tasty and filling. We took a swim in the pool one morning and the pool temperature was comfortable given how cold it was outside. The people at the front desk were always friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed the free coffee available in the lobby. The only negative thing I would say is that the room could get a little warm, especially when the fireplace was on, but it was not a big deal just cracked the balcony door occasionally to cool the room down. Overall, we had a great time!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This was the second year my husband and i have taken advantage of special winter rates here. This year they offered a Cozy pkg with wine, snack and nice blanket. Our room was lovely and totally modern.. from large flat screened TV to granite counter tops. Some rooms have lovely tile showers too. Towels were very soft and nice amenities in the bathroom. Staff are always friendly and helpful. Love their complimentary breakfast where you choose the night before what you want off a list and leave it on your door. Next morning a picnic basket is left outside your door at the time you requested. A delightful breakfast without leaving the room. Wish more hotels would do the same. My husband enjoyed laps in the indoor pool. They have a restaurant/bar on sight which is nice. Last year we were able to take advantage of the free bikes to ride around the town and water area. A super nice place to go for a get away!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stayed here for business a few weeks ago. I travel a lot for business and was looking for a hotel that had some charm and nice touches. I couldn't have been more pleased with the Harbor Grand. The staff was extremely nice. I loved the fireplace in my room and the large bathtub! The breakfast delivered to my door in the morning was a treat. Absolutely delicious.

My room was clean and well kept.

The restaurant is good and the bar offers delicious cocktails, as well as a nice selection of wine. Again, a really friendly staff with good customer service.

The service was terrific--I left a sweater hanging in the closet after my departure. After I called, the hotel had my sweater in the mail to me within minutes. It's so refreshing to deal with a staff that is happy to offier customer service.

I plan on going back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Stayed at The Harbor Grand for a long weekend. The room was spacious and bed comfortable. The linens high quality. Shower has been redone, two large shower heads make every shower amazing. Towels are just regular hotel towels. Room service fast and the food was good, not fabulous but good. Bar and restaurant look out over a fire pit in the back where you can roast marshmallows or s'mores. Right in town. Walking distance to stores and restaurants. In the summer it would be perfect for seeing New Buff. The hotel is right on Lake Michigan. Beautiful views. All staff very friendly. Will go back, will recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
crown point, indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We went for a getaway for my husband's 40th birthday over Thanksgiving weekend. I was kind of disappointed at first by the room. It wasn't nearly as big as I thought it would be. I read something about a balcony, but the balcony is really only a railing that keeps you from falling out the sliding glass door. The whirlpool and shower are only big enough for one person, usually at least the whirlpool is big enough for 2. However, the bed was very comfortable. The fireplace was nice, but the room got very warm very fast and took a long time to cool off, thanks goodness for the sliding glass door, we kept it open halfway almost the whole trip! The indoor pool was pretty big, the jacuzzi was clean, and the room was very warm, which is how I like to swim indoors, I just won't swim if I'm cold. We had the whole pool to ourselves both times we went, which was great. The breakfast in bed is minimal, but nice that it's delivered to your door, and they just knock and leave it if you're too lazy to get up right away. My husband doesn't really like muffins, but I do, and the muffin bread was awesome. We weren't expecting nice weather, but we were pleasantly surprised, and we got to walk the beach and visit all the shops within walking distance without freezing. The beach is a little walk, though, so I can see in the summer hauling all your gear that it probably seems pretty far. Also, we went to the casino, and the shuttle bus was nice, so we could drink and not have to worry about who was driving. It stops at all the hotels in this area. Staff was very friendly, overall thought this was a pretty nice place.

Room Tip: we were on the 2nd floor, have read other reviews that 3rd floor views were better, not sure if this...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Portage, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed here twice this year - once to celebrate our anniversary (no kids) and second to show the hotel off to our kids. We love the delicious breakfast in bed (delivered to our room) and included in the room rate. The rooms are gorgeous with both a jacuzzi tub and fireplace. Beautiful view overlooking the harbor. Free movie and bike rentals. They have an amazing, friendly staff and a gourmet restaurant on the property. We plan to return at least once a year - maybe each season. :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Garden City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

We plan on trying to visit here at least once a year. Me and my husband came for a little quite, alone time, and we did not want to leave. The king harbor view room was perfect, with the fire place and the big tub. We loved the view, it was so peaceful. The lady at the front desk, Gloria, was so kind and so helpful, everyone there treated us so nice, and went out of there way to make sure we had everything we wanted. The room was clean and cozy and very relaxing.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Harbor Grand? Share your experiences!