“Harbor Country” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo to your Saves list
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18800 Laporte Road, New Buffalo, MI 49117 (Formerly Harbor Country Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in New Buffalo
Elgin, Illinois
“Harbor Country”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding in June of 2012. The hotel was average. Rooms are a bit outdated but it was great for a one night stay and easy to get to. The beds were comfortable and parking was good. They had coffee and danishes in the morning I belive. Hotel staff was very nice. There were alot of rooms blocked off for the wedding that we attended and I dont think anyone in our party had an issues.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here with a large party, and we were very satisfied. I traveled with my mom, who needs oxygen at night. When I called to make the reservation, I was able to get our room number to give to the oxygen delivery company, even though it was a couple weeks before we arrived. When we arrived, the girl at the front desk was very friendly, and even brought the oxygen up to our room even though we said we'd go back down for it. During our stay, everyone including the cleaning lady was very friendly. It appeared that part of the hotel was being renovated, and I will assume the side that we were on had already been renovated as everything looked clean and new. We didn't hear any construction noises, but it was the weekend, so I assume it is taking place during the week. The hotel was not very busy, and there was ample parking. It seemed as though there were only two large parties of people there, ours and a wedding party. I'm not sure if it is because this is not a brand name hotel or what, but I thought it was a nice place, and I would stay again. The only issue we had was that we passed the hotel when looking for it because there wasn't a large sign and the hotel is tucked back off the road. It looked as though there had been a big sign, and perhaps they are getting a new one as part of the renovation. The hotel is very close to the highway, and the casino.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was charged twice for the same room!
There were no cups, the aircondition unit was leaking ( soaked carpet), bulb was burned out, facial tissues were absent, there was no soap. Overall terrible expierience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Boynton Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Made reservation direct on hotel website as I just feel like they give the crappy rooms to folks who book through 3rd party sites. Got there, had e-mail confirmation complete with number - nothing in computer. After 30 minute ordeal - and desk agent was very friendly and apologetic (Patricia if memory serves), they had me in a room at my original rate from e- mail - which turned out to be about $50 less than quoted walk in rates I found. Place was decent. They put me in a king whirlpool room, which was nice. Drain on whirlpool tub wouldn't engage but fixed that right up with washcloth and worked out nicely. Half the hotel is gutted as they had a water event apparently. So not too crowded in the parking lot, and pool area (indoor) was also rather calm. Overall not a bad place - but not awesome. Not for the lost half hour and anxiety at check in would have probably given a 4 star review. I had room 122 and was not aware of any problems with room minus drain in whirlpool. Had a small fridge in room as well.

• Stayed June 2013
Racine, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Lobby and pool area appeared very nice, however, room was a different story. Peeling wallpaper, dirty bathroom floor, uncomfortable beds.
We checked in late, 9:00 p.m. and only one car in parking lot, when we came back later that evening, there were 3 cars. Noticed other hotels in area with full parking lots.

Room Tip: Not worth it. Would not stay again.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wheaton, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I must admit that I was skeptical making my reservations based off of other reviews but I was pleasantly surprised by the Harbor Country Hotel. The staff is very helpful and nice. The pool area was great (the have painted a beautiful mural on the walls). The rooms were clean and I do agree that they are a little out-dated but it looks like the hotel is making improvements. For instance our room had a new tub surround in the bathroom. There is free wi-fi and they have a free continental breakfast which is nice (I find it funny when people slam the continental breakfast-bagels and coffee people!). My recommendations are as follows: new bed mattresses as they are not the most comfortable and all new linens, towels and phones for the rooms. This hotel also offers a AAA discount which was great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Airdrie, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as part of a wedding party from 1st-4th June, and i have to say i throurally enjoyed the place!
The rooms were a little dated, but comfortable with all needs met, coffeemaker, iron, hairdryer etc.
The maid service wasnt every day, so one day we had to tidy the room ourselves.
The air con works great, and the beds were comfy, tv has several channels, so there is always something to watch, if thats what you came to do.
Breakfast was continental, so there is something to suit everyone, its not a luxury breakfast, just something to grab quickly while going somewhere, coffee is on tap throughout the day in the lobby.
The staff i came accross were all lovely and willing to help, bar one, a tall brunette who looks surly and mean, however when she was approcahed she was helpful. There are several who will go above and beyond to be nice and helpful, one even opeened the swimming facilities so that me and a group of friends could use the hot tub after hours! (we are talking 3am here)
The place has nice grounds and i found it a pleasure to stay in, i cannot understand what these bad reviews are all about....I regularly review the places i stay honestly and not in a petty way ( oh the door hinges squeaked, there was a stain on the ceiling) and feel this place is deserving of good reviews, everything is clean, the staff are nice and i had a lovely time here.
Also, because there were many of us i seen the insides of loads of rooms, and they are all pretty similar, clean, well appointed just a little dated.
One of the chairs broke in one room, but reporting this to the front desk had it resolved quickly.
I enjoyed myself an think its a decent place to stay, if you dont bad reviews put you off.

on a side note, i would like to mention the really nice, super cute employee who worked behind the front desk, always helpful and easy on the eye, was reading Men and From Mars, Women Are From Venus ( on his gf's instructions - Passive agressive much?!) I think managment need to recognise his hard work, he was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Id come back in heartbeat, thank you to all staff who made our trip such a good one.

Room Tip: The restaurant just round the corner off the freeway, Jimmys is absolutely delicious!!! Try it, you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo? Share your experiences!