“Harbor Country” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo

You added Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo to your Saves list
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18800 Laporte Road, New Buffalo, MI 49117 (Formerly Harbor Country Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in New Buffalo
Racine, Wisconsin
“Harbor Country”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Lobby and pool area appeared very nice, however, room was a different story. Peeling wallpaper, dirty bathroom floor, uncomfortable beds.
We checked in late, 9:00 p.m. and only one car in parking lot, when we came back later that evening, there were 3 cars. Noticed other hotels in area with full parking lots.

Room Tip: Not worth it. Would not stay again.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Wheaton, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I must admit that I was skeptical making my reservations based off of other reviews but I was pleasantly surprised by the Harbor Country Hotel. The staff is very helpful and nice. The pool area was great (the have painted a beautiful mural on the walls). The rooms were clean and I do agree that they are a little out-dated but it looks like the hotel is making improvements. For instance our room had a new tub surround in the bathroom. There is free wi-fi and they have a free continental breakfast which is nice (I find it funny when people slam the continental breakfast-bagels and coffee people!). My recommendations are as follows: new bed mattresses as they are not the most comfortable and all new linens, towels and phones for the rooms. This hotel also offers a AAA discount which was great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Airdrie, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as part of a wedding party from 1st-4th June, and i have to say i throurally enjoyed the place!
The rooms were a little dated, but comfortable with all needs met, coffeemaker, iron, hairdryer etc.
The maid service wasnt every day, so one day we had to tidy the room ourselves.
The air con works great, and the beds were comfy, tv has several channels, so there is always something to watch, if thats what you came to do.
Breakfast was continental, so there is something to suit everyone, its not a luxury breakfast, just something to grab quickly while going somewhere, coffee is on tap throughout the day in the lobby.
The staff i came accross were all lovely and willing to help, bar one, a tall brunette who looks surly and mean, however when she was approcahed she was helpful. There are several who will go above and beyond to be nice and helpful, one even opeened the swimming facilities so that me and a group of friends could use the hot tub after hours! (we are talking 3am here)
The place has nice grounds and i found it a pleasure to stay in, i cannot understand what these bad reviews are all about....I regularly review the places i stay honestly and not in a petty way ( oh the door hinges squeaked, there was a stain on the ceiling) and feel this place is deserving of good reviews, everything is clean, the staff are nice and i had a lovely time here.
Also, because there were many of us i seen the insides of loads of rooms, and they are all pretty similar, clean, well appointed just a little dated.
One of the chairs broke in one room, but reporting this to the front desk had it resolved quickly.
I enjoyed myself an think its a decent place to stay, if you dont bad reviews put you off.

on a side note, i would like to mention the really nice, super cute employee who worked behind the front desk, always helpful and easy on the eye, was reading Men and From Mars, Women Are From Venus ( on his gf's instructions - Passive agressive much?!) I think managment need to recognise his hard work, he was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Id come back in heartbeat, thank you to all staff who made our trip such a good one.

Room Tip: The restaurant just round the corner off the freeway, Jimmys is absolutely delicious!!! Try it, you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Holland, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay. It was kind of sad to see this because it was a nice facility but poorly maintained, with little or no service.
Let's see, I guess nothing major, but the expanded continental breakfast included refrigerated pancakes next to the microwave. There was cereal, but this morning, no milk. Not even in the service refrigerator. The breakfast area had not been cleaned, same dirty towel from yesterday.
In the room, the remote control didn't work on the TV. There was soap and shampoo, but from another chain. They didn't clean the room after the first day.
It was supposed to be no smoking, but on arrival the front desk staff (the only employee there) was outside smoking next to the front door. It was supposed to be no dogs, but there were dogs left in a room and being walked outside. The beds were OK and room fairly clean, it's just kind of too bad, its a great area, this is a pretty good facility, just needs service and maintenance. We seldom complain, this was just dissapointing. There are nicer places in the area, we won't go back here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Great Falls, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stopped by overnight. Nearby motels were full but Harbour Country was available with some but not very many guests. The room was very clean, quite spacious and we slept well. Sheets, tissues, toiletrie items could have been more luxurious but overall quite acceptable. Long bench and luggage rack had room for 3 suitcases -- wish all motels would do the same. The breakfast was poor, however. Nothing good to be said for the bread items, tasteless orange juice, no hot items...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Mishawaka, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The hotel seemed clean enough, but the bed was uncomfortable (it sagged in the middle). I never had a problem with the staff personally, but checking in one night, and at breakfast the next day I could hear raised voices and what sounded like a manager going on and on about the hotel's money problems. The breakfast. Although it may meet the legal definition of breakfast, that was no breakfast. A bin of cereal, pitcher of milk and rubbery frozen pancakes you have to microwave. The orange juice was watered down, we waited 20 minutes for someone to refill the empty milk pitcher (because the only 2 employees were taking their smoke break together). The TV only had 10 channels. The upside: Good water pressure, and 3 minutes from a casino.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My friend and I decided to meet in New Buffalo for a girls' weekend. She favors very cheap lodging and I try to do more middle of the road, so we stayed in separate places. Since this was still the tail end of the summer season, rooms were scarce and high in price in the area. While not my first choice, I was favorably impressed with the Harbor Country Hotel in several areas. I was able to check in early, which I always appreciate, and on the day of my departure, I was given a late checkout without asking for it. The front desk staff was welcoming and helpful, giving suggestions on some events going on that weekend. I also liked the welcoming feel of the lobby, where there was a comfortable seating area, large screen TV and a computer free for guest usage. Breakfast was included in my room price, though since I was meeting my friend, I went out for breakfast and can't comment on the quality.

The negatives as I saw them were (apparently) no free WiFi in the room (I didn't need it this trip, but most people expect it); a mattress a bit soft and slightly sagged to one side, and no fridge or microwave in the room. I mention these items based mostly on the price paid ($160): at that price I'd expect those items in any room. Having said that, the room was clean, comfortable and spacious, the location ideal for our weekend activities and the staff a delight. I'd stay there again if I weren't able to get into the nearby Comfort Suites (where I can accrue points and status).

Room Tip: I asked for a room on an upper floor and found it very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo? Share your experiences!