“Not going back.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo

You added Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo to your Saves list
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18800 Laporte Road, New Buffalo, MI 49117 (Formerly Harbor Country Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in New Buffalo
Holland, Michigan
“Not going back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay. It was kind of sad to see this because it was a nice facility but poorly maintained, with little or no service.
Let's see, I guess nothing major, but the expanded continental breakfast included refrigerated pancakes next to the microwave. There was cereal, but this morning, no milk. Not even in the service refrigerator. The breakfast area had not been cleaned, same dirty towel from yesterday.
In the room, the remote control didn't work on the TV. There was soap and shampoo, but from another chain. They didn't clean the room after the first day.
It was supposed to be no smoking, but on arrival the front desk staff (the only employee there) was outside smoking next to the front door. It was supposed to be no dogs, but there were dogs left in a room and being walked outside. The beds were OK and room fairly clean, it's just kind of too bad, its a great area, this is a pretty good facility, just needs service and maintenance. We seldom complain, this was just dissapointing. There are nicer places in the area, we won't go back here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Great Falls, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stopped by overnight. Nearby motels were full but Harbour Country was available with some but not very many guests. The room was very clean, quite spacious and we slept well. Sheets, tissues, toiletrie items could have been more luxurious but overall quite acceptable. Long bench and luggage rack had room for 3 suitcases -- wish all motels would do the same. The breakfast was poor, however. Nothing good to be said for the bread items, tasteless orange juice, no hot items...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Mishawaka, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The hotel seemed clean enough, but the bed was uncomfortable (it sagged in the middle). I never had a problem with the staff personally, but checking in one night, and at breakfast the next day I could hear raised voices and what sounded like a manager going on and on about the hotel's money problems. The breakfast. Although it may meet the legal definition of breakfast, that was no breakfast. A bin of cereal, pitcher of milk and rubbery frozen pancakes you have to microwave. The orange juice was watered down, we waited 20 minutes for someone to refill the empty milk pitcher (because the only 2 employees were taking their smoke break together). The TV only had 10 channels. The upside: Good water pressure, and 3 minutes from a casino.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My friend and I decided to meet in New Buffalo for a girls' weekend. She favors very cheap lodging and I try to do more middle of the road, so we stayed in separate places. Since this was still the tail end of the summer season, rooms were scarce and high in price in the area. While not my first choice, I was favorably impressed with the Harbor Country Hotel in several areas. I was able to check in early, which I always appreciate, and on the day of my departure, I was given a late checkout without asking for it. The front desk staff was welcoming and helpful, giving suggestions on some events going on that weekend. I also liked the welcoming feel of the lobby, where there was a comfortable seating area, large screen TV and a computer free for guest usage. Breakfast was included in my room price, though since I was meeting my friend, I went out for breakfast and can't comment on the quality.

The negatives as I saw them were (apparently) no free WiFi in the room (I didn't need it this trip, but most people expect it); a mattress a bit soft and slightly sagged to one side, and no fridge or microwave in the room. I mention these items based mostly on the price paid ($160): at that price I'd expect those items in any room. Having said that, the room was clean, comfortable and spacious, the location ideal for our weekend activities and the staff a delight. I'd stay there again if I weren't able to get into the nearby Comfort Suites (where I can accrue points and status).

Room Tip: I asked for a room on an upper floor and found it very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel, It has changed its name and gone independent, and I will return. When I called to book my room the young man on the front desk was helpful to the point that my family planed our trip based on his suggestions. The pool was vary clean like the rooms, and great staff made it a great stay

Room Tip: be nice it dose help
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

We regularly stopover in New Buffalo, Michigan, since it's a nice, relaxing point from Chicago on our way to visit family in other parts of Michigan. We often stay a few days to take in the beach. When the Best Western first opened, we stayed at this hotel and loved it. Of course, there were very few hotels available back then. Later, as more were built (Holiday Inn was next, I believe), we tried other hotels. This August, we went back to the Best Western just to revisit our first time there. We felt ripped off, disgusted and disappointed. If we didn't have 3 kids with us, we would have packed up, left and took our chances with other lodging. Our two room suite was expensive ($200) yet there was only one phone and it did not work. The sofa's "bed" was covered in a sheet that looked unwashed (my daughter ended up sleeping on the sofa cushions covered with beach towels from our car). We had 3 bath towels for 5 people and just 2 hand towels. The lighting didn't work well, so we had 2 dim lights for the entire two room suite. There was a problem with the door lock not working at first. Furniture was mismatched and looked like it was plopped in there to fill space. Nothing looked decorated well or arranged. This cost us $200 for one night. It was so nasty, I didn't even want to complain to get a complimentary night on our next visit - we won't go back. It's just sad because we still talk about the first time we stayed there, and the cute little gift shop they had (gone now) and what we bought. Stay elsewhere and send the management a message (I already filled out a card and mailed it in).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

After reading some of the more recent reviews, I was concerned about what to expect here. However, everything looked and smelled very clean, and the facilities were well maintained. Also, the staff were friendly and helpful. I'm planning a stay in the area next year, and have already made my reservations here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo? Share your experiences!