“Room OK, breakfast poor” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo to your Saves list
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18800 Laporte Road, New Buffalo, MI 49117 (Formerly Harbor Country Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in New Buffalo
Great Falls, Virginia
“Room OK, breakfast poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stopped by overnight. Nearby motels were full but Harbour Country was available with some but not very many guests. The room was very clean, quite spacious and we slept well. Sheets, tissues, toiletrie items could have been more luxurious but overall quite acceptable. Long bench and luggage rack had room for 3 suitcases -- wish all motels would do the same. The breakfast was poor, however. Nothing good to be said for the bread items, tasteless orange juice, no hot items...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mishawaka, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The hotel seemed clean enough, but the bed was uncomfortable (it sagged in the middle). I never had a problem with the staff personally, but checking in one night, and at breakfast the next day I could hear raised voices and what sounded like a manager going on and on about the hotel's money problems. The breakfast. Although it may meet the legal definition of breakfast, that was no breakfast. A bin of cereal, pitcher of milk and rubbery frozen pancakes you have to microwave. The orange juice was watered down, we waited 20 minutes for someone to refill the empty milk pitcher (because the only 2 employees were taking their smoke break together). The TV only had 10 channels. The upside: Good water pressure, and 3 minutes from a casino.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My friend and I decided to meet in New Buffalo for a girls' weekend. She favors very cheap lodging and I try to do more middle of the road, so we stayed in separate places. Since this was still the tail end of the summer season, rooms were scarce and high in price in the area. While not my first choice, I was favorably impressed with the Harbor Country Hotel in several areas. I was able to check in early, which I always appreciate, and on the day of my departure, I was given a late checkout without asking for it. The front desk staff was welcoming and helpful, giving suggestions on some events going on that weekend. I also liked the welcoming feel of the lobby, where there was a comfortable seating area, large screen TV and a computer free for guest usage. Breakfast was included in my room price, though since I was meeting my friend, I went out for breakfast and can't comment on the quality.

The negatives as I saw them were (apparently) no free WiFi in the room (I didn't need it this trip, but most people expect it); a mattress a bit soft and slightly sagged to one side, and no fridge or microwave in the room. I mention these items based mostly on the price paid ($160): at that price I'd expect those items in any room. Having said that, the room was clean, comfortable and spacious, the location ideal for our weekend activities and the staff a delight. I'd stay there again if I weren't able to get into the nearby Comfort Suites (where I can accrue points and status).

Room Tip: I asked for a room on an upper floor and found it very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel, It has changed its name and gone independent, and I will return. When I called to book my room the young man on the front desk was helpful to the point that my family planed our trip based on his suggestions. The pool was vary clean like the rooms, and great staff made it a great stay

Room Tip: be nice it dose help
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

We regularly stopover in New Buffalo, Michigan, since it's a nice, relaxing point from Chicago on our way to visit family in other parts of Michigan. We often stay a few days to take in the beach. When the Best Western first opened, we stayed at this hotel and loved it. Of course, there were very few hotels available back then. Later, as more were built (Holiday Inn was next, I believe), we tried other hotels. This August, we went back to the Best Western just to revisit our first time there. We felt ripped off, disgusted and disappointed. If we didn't have 3 kids with us, we would have packed up, left and took our chances with other lodging. Our two room suite was expensive ($200) yet there was only one phone and it did not work. The sofa's "bed" was covered in a sheet that looked unwashed (my daughter ended up sleeping on the sofa cushions covered with beach towels from our car). We had 3 bath towels for 5 people and just 2 hand towels. The lighting didn't work well, so we had 2 dim lights for the entire two room suite. There was a problem with the door lock not working at first. Furniture was mismatched and looked like it was plopped in there to fill space. Nothing looked decorated well or arranged. This cost us $200 for one night. It was so nasty, I didn't even want to complain to get a complimentary night on our next visit - we won't go back. It's just sad because we still talk about the first time we stayed there, and the cute little gift shop they had (gone now) and what we bought. Stay elsewhere and send the management a message (I already filled out a card and mailed it in).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

After reading some of the more recent reviews, I was concerned about what to expect here. However, everything looked and smelled very clean, and the facilities were well maintained. Also, the staff were friendly and helpful. I'm planning a stay in the area next year, and have already made my reservations here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My wife & I just returned from our weekend trip celebrating our aniversary. Everything was great great, winetasting(Tabor Hill), casino (4 Winds) Farmers market, fireworks, etc. Everthing except this hotel! Was apprehensive after reading reviews on tripadvisor, but they were the only place that had rooms...big red flag! The Hotel is very worn down and needs a complete redo! The driveway has a big hole in it where the sewer is sinking in. Weeds growing in the landscaping, No flowers in the flower pots at the front door, just a pile of old cigerarette butts. Grounds look very neglected including giant wasp nest hanging under the eves. Woods are nothing mor than some trees with a gravel lot with a garbage dumpster in it. When we walked in the lobby there was a big sign stating that the wi-fi was out and "thanking you for your understanding". The side door lock was also broken so that your room key would not open it, with another sign thanking you for your "understanding" and directing you to walk aroung the building to the front door. What I couldn't understand was why nothing was working or being fixed although we were being charged $150 a night (with discount) for such a run down dirty hotel! When we went to use the pool, the whirlpool was cold and full of brown foam, no thank you we'll pass! Upon our arrival, the woman at the front desk had us standing there for a good 10 minutes while she talked on the phone! Seemed more interested in answering the phone instead of taking care of customers with reservations. She informed us that we would not get our aarp discount as promised when we booked Since "John didn't mark it down" What? your ad says 10% off for aarp members!
I think we got that same room that one reviewer did. It was dirty, the BED WAS TERRIBLE, It was the worst bed I ever slept in! my back hurt so bad i didn't sleep a wink. When I looked at the matteress the next morning it was gross. The material was old, worn, stained and dirty! The air conditioner sounded like a airplane going off. I told my wife I would have been better off sleeping in the truck!
We went down stairs and complained, the woman there was very nice and moved us to the handicapped room and finally gave us our aarp discount, but told us we would have to call monday to talk to the manager for a "adjustment on our 1st night stay"
I just talked to the manager and explained our dissatisfication with the first room. All he offered us was a small break on the room. There was a nice new Hoiday inn express and a brand new Comfort inn right down the street. Do yourself a favor and book early so as to avoid being suckered into staying here!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo? Share your experiences!