“Fit Our Needs” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in New Buffalo
Chicago, Illinois
“Fit Our Needs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Nice hotel with a great location - in between New Buffalo and the casino and right off the expressway, so getting to the wineries & other towns was a breeze!

We had a room with kitchenette, which was quite spacious. There was plenty of room to spread out for the weekend and it was nice to have the fridge (although it was set VERY cold). I always sleep with the air - or at least fan - on, so I had no problem with hall noise and slept very well. The beds are a tiny bit hard, but nothing horrible.

Morning breakfast is standard - bagels, cereal, etc - their "specialty" dishes are cheese omelets and sausage, which my husband said were very good. The hours were sometimes prohibitive (breakfast closes at 9:30), but if you get there in time, it's a nice spread. There's no where near enough seating, but we like taking our breakfast back to our room anyways.

The pool area is nice, with a VERY hot hottub. The best part is that it's open until midnight, so after a full day you can take a quick soak. Definitely appreciated!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Seneca, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We had a horrible stay at the Holiday Inn Express in New Buffalo, Michigan! I called and made our reservations for 2 nights....for Saturday and Sunday night. I was upset to find their pool was broke when we arrived and there is a 48 hr cancellation policy...they didn't mention anything about the pool when i made the reservation.... I called down and the man that answered the front desk said the pool had been broke for 2 1/2 weeks....BUT...we could use the Fairfied Inn pool! I knew there was no way...it would be such a inconvenience as both hotels were full house!!!! I didn't want to even attempt using that pool. If we wanted to use the pool at the Fairfield Inn ....i would have made our reservations there! We went to bed and all we heard were children running down the hall and yelling....we heard adults laughing and talking so loud ....door slamming. I called down to the front desk and couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. I think the night person must go to sleep and doesn't answer the phone at night!!!!! I couldn't find a comment card in the room.....i have never stayed at a hotel that didn't have a card in room!!!!! I had planned on staying Saturday and Sunday night....we checked out Sunday morning and explained why we were not staying the second night. The lady at front desk asked me to wait...she was going to talk to her manager...she came back out and said "we are so sorry" and the MANAGER WAS SO VERY KIND TO GIVE US A 20% DISCOUNT!!!!!!! I believe that this Holiday Inn Express is in need of new management!!!! WE WILL NOT BE RETURNING!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lyons, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

My husband and I went on a getaway from Chicago and were so pleased. The check in staff was so friendly and helpful, they provided us with extra towels upon request with no hesitation, they gave us information about places to eat. We booked a room with two queen beds because it was cheaper, and the room was so large. Breakfast was excellent with biscuits and sausage gravy, muffins, bagels, eggs, yogurt, coffee. The room was so clean, we had absolutely no complaints during our stay. We will be returning to the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

This was our second stay, we stayed for 2 nights, and we were very satisified. We came to visit family nearby, so used our room only to sleep and have breakfast. We had a King Kitchen Suite, which was exceptionally spacious, with a bed, desk, tables, and chairs in one area, and a kitchen, dining table and chairs and small couch in the other. The kitchen had a microwave, refrigerator, and sink, but there were no eating or cooking supplies.

The bed was very comfortabnle, and the room was dark and very quiet at night, and we slept very well. The breakfast was the usual motel breakfast, which was all we expected, and it was fine. The eating area was clean and well-maintained.

Front desk staff were helpful and accomodating.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

This place was horrible! My husband and I took a weekend trip to New Buffalo to try the Four Winds Casino (avoid that place, too. If you enjoy losing your money quickly, and paying Las Vegas-style buffet prices, then you will love it). I booked our room at the Holiday Inn Express; we have a dog, and this was the most cost-effective place I could find. We were charged a $35 non-refundable fee for our pet plus the room charge of $125. They didn't have a king-size room available, so we took two double beds. The walls were paper thin (you could hear neighbors on BOTH sides of us, and they were speaking in normal voice levels); the floors creaked something awful above our head from 10pm on the night we stayed. The occupant above us was simply walking across his room, and the floors squeaked non-stop. Our bathroom door was one that we had to practically slam shut to make it stay shut. We ordered a non-smoking room; as soon as we entered the room (it was almost big enough for 1 person, let alone 2 adults and a dog), all you could smell was where a smoker had been. It reeked. Since they were at full capacity that night, there was nowhere else to put us. The ventilation system was terribly noisy. And when you flushed the toilet, you could literally hear it down the hall! I can actually tell you what time everybody around took their shower that morning, the drains were that noisy! After complaining, all they took off our bill was $25. They should have refunded our money. I would have gladly paid for our dog, but this place was disgusting. The casino was a joke, as well. Never, EVER again. Holiday Inn Express used to be a favorite chain of mine. No more, no more, no ,more!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

My Husband and I last minute deided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express on our way to Chicago. I looked at trip advisor and found the number to call. Glad I did. Very close to the Casino and the New Buffalo Beach. The hotel was clean, friendly, well staffed and offered a wonderful breakfast. All this at an affordable price.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
loretta77
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I organized a trip for 10 girls to do a wine weekend. We ended up picking this Holiday Inn. We got a great non-refundable rate from the web. We tried to get an additional room closer to our travel date and found the the rate doubled. The staff was great except for the morning front desk person. She was not very helpful in getting early check in. The person from the night staff was GREAT though. The room was clean and updated. The pool was very nice. The pizza place that the hotel recommended was great. Breakfast was good. Shuttle to the casino was around, but we ended up driving. Great weekend all around. We would stay here for our next weekend away.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo? Share your experiences!