“Pleasantly Suprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in New Buffalo
holland, mi
“Pleasantly Suprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

From reading other reviews, I was expecting a pretty bad experience, so I was very happy when we actually got to the hotel. VERY nice. The staff was pleasant, the rooms were great (fabolous flat screen with cable), the pool was clean and the hot tub was really relaxing after a long day at the casino. The hotel had the closest proximity to the Four Winds as you could get. You are looking at at least one mile from any of the hotels. The casino was nice but we couldn't wait to get back and soak in the hot tub!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
c'ville, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Through my miles program, I often stay with my family at the Holiday Inn hotels in Michigan. Two years ago we stayed in HI in South Holland, last year in HI in St.Joseph and finally this year in New Buffalo. In the past years, all HI hotels met my expectations. This year however I really disliked staying the HI in New Buffalo. 1st. if you're staying there with kids for couple of days, be aware, no refrigerators/microwaves in the rooms, unlike the HI in St.Joseph and HI in South Holland. If you want to warm up milk for your kids, you have to go to the service desk and they'll warm it up for you!!!! Ironically, at your arrival you can get a free bag of popcorn, but they neglect to tell you that you have nowhere to pop it . We had couple of rainy days so we stayed at the pool, wow the water is freezing, it was colder then Lake Michigan. We asked at the service desk if the water temp could be turned up but they said it's their policy to keep that temperature. Rooms overall were ok but if you kept your windows closed, they quickly became damp and smelly. Lastly, there was a lady working the front desk during our stay, I have to say, she was clueless as to what is going on in New Buffalo. We asked if she was aware of any blueberry farms near by and she said that we should google it since she wasn’t aware. Are you kidding me???? Although the effort on my part to google for blueberry farms is minimal, that's something I would expect her to be ready with, ESPECIALLY since there are two farms within a mile perimeter. Regardless, we didn't care about this hotel at all and just before we left I want across the street to Marriott’s hotel to check it out. I was blown away by it's cleanliness. I actually walked into a room that was being cleaned, I told the lady that I left a pair of slippers behind and I wanted to see if they are in the room, she let me in and I was impressed, although their swimming pool was much smaller then the one in HI. So in short if you locked on New Bufallo I would recommend staying at the Merriot, however, if you’re not locked on New Bufallo and you’re going with younger kids, go to St.Joseph, much nicer town, great beach as well and much nicer playground for the kids at the beach. You can tell that St. Joseph is much more family oriented town vs New Buffalo, which is geared mostly for older folks coming to the casino.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

We wanted a name brand hotel with the standard amenities close to the Michiana casinos and Lighthouse Outlet Mall at a fair price per night over Memorial Day weekend. Pros: large room, firm mattresses, hot/cold breakfast buffet with an acceptable variety, Cons: one public computer, small indoor pool with freezing temp, over treated jacuzzi, common areas need a finish carpenter, clueless front desk clerks (asked for directions to a commuter train stop, paranoid front desk clerks (reluctant to provide additional bath towels upon request), poor selection of sat TV/cable channels. At least we had plenty of hot water in the shower and no visible varmints.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Alexandra, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

My mother and I recently spent 4 nights at the HIE and found it to be excellent value. We got a very good rate online.

The hotel is well located and easy to find. It offers good access to the freeway and the town of New Buffalo. Check in and out were easy and staff were very friendly. They provided us with an excellent area map and information about what to see and do.

Our room was cosy and comfortable with good space for sitting around. It gets a little noisy with other guests (returning from the casino I suspect) but otherwise our stay was peaceful.

The breakfast room is a bit small for the size of the hotel, often there were not tables available for other guests. The breakfast buffet is very good with a wide variety of choices. There was also a computer with Internet access that was very valuable.

Unfortunately there was no fitness room, I would recommend the hotel consider this option given the quality of their establishment otherwise. There was a pool, but it was always full of children and is small, so does not really offer any exercise option to adults.

Overall we had a very nice stay in a clean, comfortable hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Aurora, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

Our family stayed in this hotel from August 7-9 2008.

Location is the main key, right of of exit 1 in New Buffalo less then five minutes to the Four Winds Casino, restaurants, shops and marina. Also Warren Dunes is a fifteen minute drive.

The hotel was EXTREMELY clean and efficient. The rooms were remarkable, excellent beds and pillows. One of the most comfortable sleeps in a hotel ever had, and I'm a flight attendant so I should know. Customer Service was also remarkable. Our family stayed in three different rooms and we were extremely pleased with this hotel. We have decided to make this our new spot every year when we go to the beach.

Note: I highly suggest making reservations in advance. We booked our rooms three weeks out with out a problem, however the entire stay as well as check in and check out there were people coming in looking to see if rooms were available. The front desk was continuously turning people away.

Even with the hotel being at max capacity we had no problems with noise or parking. The continental breakfast was excellent as well as seating for it.

Once again GREAT STAY!!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

This is a nice, clean hotel. It has a nice pool and breakfast. It's close to the four winds casino and beaches, too. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — the facilities, location and breakfast
  • Disliked — check-in staff was a little rude
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Detroit, Michigan USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

We wanted a casino getaway and Holiday Inn was very close to the casinos. And what a great choice it was.

Rooms were nice sized, very clean, and well appointed with coffee maker, table, toiletries, hair dryer, and lots of sparkling white towels.

There is a McDonalds next door, and a little ATM bank next to the parking lot. The Four Winds casino is about 2 miles away, and the Blue Chip casino about 10 miles.

One of the nicest touches I've seen in a hotel is that they give you two printouts when you check in. One is directions to the casinos since most people are there for them, and the other is directions to all the local restaurants.

BUT - you won't need the restaurants in the morning. The hotel has a complimentary terrific hot breakfast. Eggs, sausage, biscuits, bagels, English muffins, yogurt, cereals, various breads and toaster, blueberry muffins, etc. Absolutely anything you want in the line of breakfast foods. Delightful!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo? Share your experiences!