“Nice hotel for a night's stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in New Buffalo
Freeport, IL
“Nice hotel for a night's stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was going to a wedding and needed a room for the night near New Buffalo and most everything was already booked. This hotel was convenient-right off the highway-plus minutes away from Lake MIchigan and downtown New Buffalo. The hotel was clean and very comfortable. Pretty good selection for breakfast. If you need to stay in this area-this hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
nbumi, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review, We were glad to know how you enjoyed your stay
with us in New Buffalo, Mi

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Saint Marys, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel was conveniently located to the highway and to the attractions in the area. As far as cleanliness, it wasn't the best. We found trash from the prior occupant around the floor and the chairs had hair and dust on them. We didn't want to use them. However, the beds were clean. The complimentary breakfast was adequate. We were surprised at the real bacon on the bar.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Annie801,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am so glad you liked the convenient location of our property. I would like to apologize for the issues you had with the cleanliness of your room accommodations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here one night in July on the way back from Detroit in order to avoid rush hour traffic into Chicago. It's not fancy or charming, but for what it is I think it was pretty nice. It's spotless and comfortable with nice public areas, including the pool which was clean and pleasant. I guess it's a bit weird for some that it's right off the lobby but it didn't really bother me. The water temperature was comfortable and it wasn't crowded when I went for a swim before dinner. Our room was huge with a big bathroom, but we had an accessible room so I'm not sure what a regular room would be like. The little buffet breakfast was fine, not a big selection but a decent enough variety of stuff and what I had tasted good. I'd say it would be great for kids. The eating area was really crowded when I went down, but I took my breakfast back to the room anyway so it didn't matter to me. The ladies at reception were very nice and helpful as were the housekeeping ladies I ran into. The biggest problem is the elevator--since it's also the service elevator you can stand there waiting for it forever. The hotel is waaay out of town so I'm not sure I would pick it for a weekend in New Buffalo, but again for families with children it's probably a better option than say a B&B, although I thought it was a bit pricey for a Holiday Inn. We ate at Jimmy's for lunch and it was really good, terrific drinks and delicious sandwiches. It's on the way into New Buffalo, a bit outside of town and I'd highly recommend for a nice quiet bite to eat.

Room Tip: Try to get a first floor room if you want to avoid the loooong waits for the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Evanston, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Old, musty, bad smelling hotel. The air is heavy with a combination of air fresheners, must, and pets.

I have allergies, but believe it or not this was the best option (because all the other hotels use down feathers and I am allergic). Staff did follow through on a few simple requests, like vacuuming the curtains and shampooing the carpet. I appreciated their efforts, but I literally felt sick the moment I opened the door to the room. Even my husband, who does not have allergies, could feel the heaviness of the air. We ran the air conditioner for an hour and I still felt horrid, so we left at midnight and went across the street to the Comfort Inn. I was on the verge of an asthma attack.

I asked for my money back the next day and was refused. Melody was rude seemingly implying that because she followed through with the housekeeping requests I should have been fine. She doesn't seem to quite get that asthma is a medical condition. I felt the hotel should have at least refunded me 50% and get Melody a little training working with people.

Comfort Inn, on the other hand, was quite clean, new and decent for the money

Room Tip: When they say they never have pets on the third floor, don't believe them. This is the pet hotel...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear emilyjj,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you about the old, musty, bad smell and the poor customer service provided by our front desk which was unacceptable. I understand the discomfort this caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
ft wayne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Clean rooms with decent breakfast. Location was excellent. Near casino, right off highway and yet only 3 minutes to town/beach. we had family of four in two suites. Price was too high for space but we traveled at high use time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Twinsburg, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

A co-worker and I stayed here for two nights while visiting customers in nearby Michigan City. My room with a king bed was large and clean and the bed was very comfortable. Probably had the most comfortable pillows I have used in awhile. Only negative was the large number of families with small children that stayed at the hotel the week we were there. Not an ideal place to stay during the summer months for a business traveler unless you don't mind the crowds or some noise. I though the hotel was a little overpriced as compared to other HI Express hotels. There are a number of good restaurants in New Buffalo that are very close-by.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Roseville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed in a King Suite. Very clean, nice room. Staff was nice. Price was good. Breakfast bar helpful for us slow risers except its over at 9:30. I think that's just so you don't show up at 10:30 and stay til 11:30. We never were rushed out. Pool was decent. Looked at a few other places we were thinking of staying and they looked a bit run down. The Harbor Grand looked very nice but too pricey for just sleeping there. Bed, pillows comfortable and clean. All in all very satisfied.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator. Book a King Suite, nice to have fridge and microwave. Third...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo? Share your experiences!