“Casino Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in New Buffalo
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Casino Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and his parents and I stayed for a day/night of casino fun. Hotel was nice, clean and staff was friendly enough. Enjoyed the location being so close to the casino and downtown New Buffalo which was quite lovely. A lot of cute shops and great food. Had a relaxing night in the pool and hot tub, then relaxed in the room. Nice and quiet. Overall good experience and breakfast was great in the morning too.

Room Tip: Any are fine
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We chose Holiday Inn Express due to it's proximity to the casino as well as the beach. and also because it was slightly cheaper than others in the area. Upon arrival, the gentlemen at the front desk was extremely polite and welcoming. Check in took all of about 1 minute and we were in our room very quickly. We used the pool and hot tub after returning that evening and the same friendly staff member came in to make sure there were enough towels for us and specifically asked if we needed anything. Very much appreciated!

Our room was clean and adequate. Bed was comfortable. Our only complaints about our visit was that the breakfast was not the best and was very crowded. We had to take our food back to our room to eat because there were not open seats in the lobby. No fresh fruit or breakfast meat. Also, was slightly irritated that they charged us $20 for a rollaway bed!

Overall, it was a fine visit but we will probably choose a different hotel next time we are in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My room was a well maintained room with two King beds. It was quiet on the 2nd of the 3 floors. The shower had good volume of water flow. It has a spacious breakfast area with an assortment of cereals, toasts, bagels, muffins, juices, and coffees. I believe you could make your own pancakes and have eggs. For supper I went to Jimmy's restaurant one of the places recommended on the sheet by the hotel. it was a wonderful sophisticated meal about a half mile to the right from the hotel. Not inexpensive though but good.
I had difficulty with the internet connection which seemed to have been because of a Comcast problem in the area. I prefer to connect my laptop to a wired connection for security rather than unsecured wireless. I found the CAT5 connection hidden behind a table leg in the room. When I connected the connection after supper with my cable to the laptop i couldn't get internet or the hotel signon page. I then tried wireless and still no internet. After 20 min. of trying to figure what was doing wrong I went down to the front desk to ask if there was a different way to get the signin page. He said no just go in. i went back and tried. A few minutes later i returned to the desk to ask if there was a problem. This time he said no and gave me the hotel website address to sign in and said though i could use the computer in the lobby. I went back to my room to try again but then decided to use the compther in the lobby. When i did, the internet was down on it as well. When i told the guy he said maybe the internet was down as well as people had said they couldn't get a TV signal in their rooms and someone had phoned but he didn't know who to say Comcast was working on it. I went to bed and got up at midnight to see it my laptop was connecting which it was. i worked until 3 am on the Pc and when I checked out i told my story and asked for a slight rebate on the room for the internet problem (or the runaround by the guy on the desk the night before.) I suggested $5 to $10 and the women offered $10 back but said the internet was out in the whole area. i was pleased to receive something for the frustration.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We were on a last minute trip into Michigan which required a very late check-in. We checked-in around 11pm; having made a reservation on the road. The clerk was friendly and willing to help with whatever they could. When they found out that a member of our party used a walker they arranged a accessable room without hesitating. The rooms were very clean and roomy. Nice little breakfast spread in the morning. Price was highly reasonable.

• Stayed June 2011
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

The place was deserted when I stayed, I counted about 7 other cars in the lot the whole time I was there (Sunday & Monday night). It is a fairly bare bones hotel but the features they do have are of a good quality. Be wary of booking a room on the back side of the hotel - the shell station car wash makes a loud buzzing noise which can be annoying. Try requesting a room on the same side as the main entrance. The TV is standard def which was disappointing but expected at a budget hotel. The pool is decent and the hot tub is nice. The shuttle to Four Winds is a nice touch. The beds are excellent and the breakfast buffet was pretty good.
If the main reason you are coming to New Buffalo is the Four Winds and you don't mind a hotel with minimal frills this is a very good option.

Room Tip: Get a room on the main entrance side!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express during the 1st week of June. We had two adjoining rooms. I can not think of one thing negative about this hotel. Upon entry, one is greeted with a genuine smile from the front desk staff, neat & tidy lobby, & a "local info. table", as u walk to the elevator. All staff were helpful & very friendly to all of us. Room rates reasonable for $99. per nite.
The hallway was clean and smelled SO NICE! Rooms were spotless, large bathroom & stocked with big fluffy towels, toiletries. Had coffee maker, & choice of soft or firm pillows! Our room had two firm queen beds that slept like heaven. Internet was included. This hotel looks like it was just built, but it's not...that's how new it appears.
Perfect locations from the Four Winds Casino, less than a mile. The hotel also offers shuttle service to this casino! Thats a very nice added treat! Blue Chip Casino, Lighthouse Premium Mall outlet, & the Zoo are about 10 minutes away too. Pool was great temp. & surrounding area was clean. The tasty hot/cold continental breakfast consisted of milk, coffee (many flavor enhancers too), 3 juices, 3 cereal choices, yogurt, bagels/toast w/toaster, choice of 3 different danish, muffins, fruit, bisquits & gravy, sausage, scrambled eggs, pancakes/syrup. There IS limited seating area, but one cannot expect a banquet hall. It was very nice, clean, and cozy!
We were less than 2 miles to the Lakefront, resturants ( U HAVE to try "The Stray Dog!"), quaint shops. There's a McDonalds next door, along with a convenience store/gas station. We were extremely pleased, and will be staying here on our next vacation. Wish we had stayed here and just VISITED St. Joe's, instead of booking a room at Silver Beach Hotel in St. Joseph, (read my horror story review on the S.B. Hotel !!)

Room Tip: AARP, A.A.A. gets you an additional 10% discount
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

We stayed at Holiday Inn on our way to visit family for Christmas. The Holiday Inn Express was reliable enough. Our room was clean, although non-descript. I was thrilled to find the sofa bed working and with freshly cleaned sheets and pillows (see my review of New Buffalo's Best Western). We had a 2 room suite and found it spacious enough for 2 adults, 3 children (aged 6-11). Space would be a little tight for 3 pre-teens. Service seemed fine, although we had to request extra towels. That seems to be the trend: Hotel rooms are stocked with only 3 towels regardless of the number of people staying in the room. We were within walking distance to Quizno's, a convenience store and McDonald's. All very nice to have, since we arrived very late at night and still had to eat dinner. We just walked over, purchased our food and drinks, and went back to our room to eat. Outdoor curb appeal of the hotel and landscaping was lacking, however. No personality. Also, there was an intermittent, outdoor noise that was a little annoying. Not enough soundproofing in the rooms. Our kids enjoyed the pool. Breakfast was included in our stay, and was decent enough: cereal, toast, muffins, eggs, biscuits & gravy, instant oatmeal, coffee and juice. However, I noticed that the juice was watered down (I tried all the choices). Overall, no real issues; it was decent enough, but not exactly what we like. New Buffalo is truly missing an opportunity: put in a nice hotel on par with Hilton or Marriott and we will be very happy indeed.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Blue Chip Casino and Hotel
Blue Chip Casino and Hotel
#4 of 16 in Michigan City
3.5 of 5 stars 433 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo? Share your experiences!