“Not that bad....” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Indiana
“Not that bad....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I've read other reviews trashing this place, and I can't understand it. I have been here on two separate occasions (once with a group of 20) and both times have been positive experiences. I've found the wait staff friendly and accommodating, the restaurant has a fun vibe to it and the food has always been OK. Now, let's be honest...this is middle of the road Mexican fare not a gourmet Michelin-starred restaurant. So set the expectations accordingly. This is not fine dining...but outside of the major cities like Chicago, Mexican restaurants tend to all blend into the same category. The margaritas we had were passable and the various entrees were solid, albeit not outstanding. Maybe we were just lucky both times, because I don't see the problems. But then, you can't make everyone happy all the time. I think that this place is worth a try if you want Mexican food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Do Not Go There”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Do not go to this restaurant. The food is awful! We waited about 10 minutes and were just ready to leave before we were finally greeted. They tried to seat us in the bar which was very noisy. We asked to move. Our waitress tried very hard and was nice (about the only positive). The food was unimpressive to say the least. Beware if you are a vegetarian. Both the beans and the rice are made with meat products. There went half our meal. The fajitas were merely a plate of vegetables and lacked any seasoning. We also ordered a cheese enchilda. It was under cooked. The cheese was not melted. The "red" sauce tasted like Ragu.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Have to go with higher priced items”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Have eaten here many times - and its older brothers in chicago......
Taco Duncan is great. Bistec Irapuato must get with cheese, a top 3 meal in world in my book. Enselada de Pollo with the spicy ranch is awesome....
Great Chips and salsa
The lower price items ( burrito / taco / enchilada are nothing to write home about..... get the higher priced dinners and are well worth the trip.
Ask for Manny, he will take care of you - tell him Rudi Sent you

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Winfield, IL
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

We were just there over the Easter Weekend staying right across the street at the New Buffalo Inn - which was quite nice by the way. We love a good Margarita but unfortunately we didn't find one here. The house margarita is very bland. We also ordered a quesadia and it was awful. Kind of crispy on one side and mushy shell on the other. The cheese and whatever else was on the inside was just bad and didn't taste fresh. We had planned to have lunch but after a bad drink and a bad appetizer, we decided to cut our losses and move on to another restaurant. The place itself looks good but they're going to have improve things. If you can't properly prepare something as simple as a quesadia and a proper Margarita then why would we expect the other dishes to be any better? We're rooting for them to get their act together but will need a positive recommendation from someone before coming back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Grand Rapids
“Will never go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

My wife order a steak Quesadilla that had a ground steak patty used instead of a normal steak tenderloin or flank steak used. I would say it was like putting a fast food burger in between two flour tortillas and calling it a steak? Second, she asked for a side of pico de gallo on the side, and was surprised without any warning to see a 5.50 charge on our bill. We also asked for a little shredded cheese for my daughter’s salad, again another charge on our bill? To nickel and dime people with things to help their food is just outrageous. Third, we had a table of only 4 adults 4 kids and they saw fit to add an 18% tip to the bill. I can see a large party of adults getting a tip added, but with the food and service, they were taking advantage of the situation. 4th, my son had to have the worst chicken fingers I and as he said, the worst rubber tasting chicken in the world. I had one and I concur.
Do not go here if you want a good Mexican meal. The best this place can offer you is a cold one and a basket of chips with their atmosphere.
Go elsewhere in my opinion, you'll thank me later!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere