“A bit underwhelmed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau du Pelave

You added Chateau du Pelave to your Saves list
Chateau du Pelave
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9, allee de Chaillot | Bois de la Chaize, 85330 Noirmoutier en l'Ile, Noirmoutier Island, France   |
UK
“A bit underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Based on the reviews I read I was expecting it to be much better than it was. The building is very nice and the grounds lovely but it all feels a bit run down and in need of renovation. Our room was an odd mixture of some nice antique furniture and some ugly 1970s kitch and was desparately in need of major re-decoration. Also it was at the top of a very steep staircase on the 2nd floor with no elevator which might put off some older visitors.

We ate once in the restaurant and the food was very good but quite pricey. We also felt that the owner was rather 'snooty' towards us once was declined to order one of his expensive bottles of wine (he clearly considers himself a great expert in this area).

Breakfast was OK - the usual basic stuff you get in most french hotels but the breakfast area can only be described as extremely functional and again totally not in keeping with a building of this type.

All in all it was OK but nothing more than that and driving around the island I got the impression I could have done much better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Piermont, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

The hotel is in a beautiful wooded area and it is a lovely building with a lovely garden around it. There is no elevator. The rooms are nice and have most of what you need. However, the toilet is in a separate room from the rest of the bathroom (shower and sink, in our case). The view is absolutely lovely. I found the bed to be a little hard. But the shower was lovely. I was rather annoyed with a light in the entrance area to the room which works on a motion sensor - when I would get up in my sleep to use the toilet, the light would go on (a very bright halogen light no less) and it would wake me. I should have asked them to disconnect it, but didn't. They did accommodate my request for a small refrigerator in the room (we were staying for two entire weeks) but it did not work very well. In the end my plan to have a "picnic" breakfast on the terrace did not really work out and we found ourselves eating out twice a day (rather expensive, in addition to the room rate).

We did not try the breakfast. But we did have dinner at the hotel restaurant one time and never did that again. It was very expensive (although no prices were listed at the time and we only found out how much when we got our final bill) and we found the cooking to be very poor (our fish was dry and tasteless and we left most of it; there were hardly any vegetables and the kitchen did not accommodate requests). in general, the cuisine on the island of Noirmoutier is centered on fish and not the least bit outstanding. However, there is a nearby Moroccan restaurant that we did like and a crepe place down the road that is very good. There are plenty of informal eateries you can find that serve sushi (pretty good), pizza (so-so) and pasta (very mediocre). You are close to the center of Noirmoutier-en-l'ile, which is the main town on the island and does have lots of fun shops and a tri-weekly outdoor market. We had a car, so we drove everywhere. We did not try to use the nearby public beach because we spent a lot of time with family at their beach. The personnel in the hotel was generally pleasant. We found the ocean to be warm and calm, but the air on the island is quite cool and it is often windy. There is a little sightseeing to do (a castle, a church, salt marshes). But mainly this is a place for beachgoers. And it draws mainly French people and some EU; my guess is that we were the only Americans around. Honestly, if you're looking for a nice beach, head to the Caribbean. If you're determined to spend time in Noirmoutier, you would do better to either rent a house (which would allow you to avoid the mediocre restaurant fare on the island) or possibly stay in a guesthouse (some people we met raved about theirs and it was near our hotel, at about the same price, and included use of a pool and breakfast). But if you're only going for a few days and want the simplicity of a hotel, I guess this is probably as good a choice as any.

By the way, one Saturday evening there was a wedding in the hotel that was pretty noisy and went on quite late, but I had my trusty silicone earplugs with me, so was able to sleep. My daughter was tired and was also able to sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Tucked away down a little lane this charming mini chateau made a lovely base for us. The food was good and the wine list exceptional. The rooms are being done up progresively and ours and my parents were both lovely, the later with its own sizable terrace. it is family run and welcoming. I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — charm and character plus food and room
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Chateau du Pelave? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Chateau du Pelave

Address: 9, allee de Chaillot | Bois de la Chaize, 85330 Noirmoutier en l'Ile, Noirmoutier Island, France
Location: France > Pays de la Loire > Vendee > Noirmoutier Island > Noirmoutier en l'Ile
Bar / Lounge Beverage Selection Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Noirmoutier en l'Ile
Hotel Class:3 star — Chateau du Pelave 3*
Château du Pélavé ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Chateau du Pelave reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Chateau du Pelave, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.