“A letdown” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
USA
“A letdown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed here in August 2007 for 4 days. First impressions were great. Once you are in you realize not everything is as nice as you thought it would be. We were in the Aubuis room which had two white armchairs in it which were really dirty and stained. The wooden chairs by the pool were falling apart. At breakfast, all of the cups and plates were chipped. On our last day there the pool was closed and they would not tell us why, a concern as we were in it the night before with our 2-year-old. One morning we sat in the breakfast room for 1/2 an hour with no food. We rang the bell and were told food was on the way. We waited. We rang again and they told us the woman who delivers the bread was late. They could have told us that when we sat down or at least offered coffee while we waited. The children of the owners had their friends over every day and there were about 10 teenagers swimming, playing loud music and running all over. It felt very uncomfortable to be there, as though we were unwelcome guests at someone's house. The stay gave me the impression that the family rents out the rooms on the top floor to pay for the rest of the house and when something - like the chairs, the cups, the plates - are worn out by the family they can be used by the guests. I was disappointed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — General shabbiness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2007

First note, my recollection is that they do not accept payment by credit card, so plan to have Euros in hand at checkout.

Our hostess was lovely and very friendly. The simple breakfast of croissants, jams, juice and coffee every morning in the breakfast room was just right. Low key and high quality.

Our room had a lovely view, though the bed and room fixtures could use a bit of improvement. Nothing too bad, but a little attention is needed.

The pool is fantastic, the grounds are spectacular and the building itself is something to explore. Overall, I'd recommend this to just about anyone.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

We've stayed here 3 times, both in the main chateau and la Rocheliere, the troglodyte cave. We have always been made welcome. The first time we stayed 4 of us turned up at about 9:30 at night after a particularly revolting journey and madame ensured that L'Oubliette restaurant in Rochecorbon stayed open and organised a taxi for us. The pool is excellent and sitting outside at night with a bottle of wine is always atmospheric, the beauty of the cave is that you get a fridge to keep it in.

Can't believe people moaning about bugs, la Rocheliere is a cave after all !!!!

Last time we were there we arrived at about 10am after an overnight ferry and thought we'd try our luck. They made it a priority to sort the room immediately so that we could go in and have a shower. We had a particularly good wine-assisted snooze the next night and woke up at noon. We went up to the main house to see if there was any chance of a coffee and monsieur insisted on preparing us a full breakfast.

We will be back to stay next June before Le Mans, probably taking my parents for the first time for a treat.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

We found this B & B in Karen Brown's guide. I would say this is a very good value for the money (140 euros per night for 3)- but this is not a deluxe hotel. We had a very large room with a delightful view (Clos Bouchet)- my 5 Year old had his own bed. Furnishings are simple, and no english speaking stations on the TV. However, large white tiled modern bathroom with good water pressure, toiletries and a hairdryer- nice for a b & b.
The communal rooms are just ok. Breakfast is included and delicious- I don't know where Madame gets the croissants and brioche but they were great.
No restaurant but a couple in within a 5 minute drive. Madame is happy to do reservation.

Nice heated swimming pool, and one night we picnic'd on the tables next to it.

Madame could not have been nicer to my five year old. In fact, the college girl that worked there baby sat one night, and my son hung out in the family apt and had a great time.

Warning- do not go to the Relais and Chateau restaurant Le Domaine des Hautes Roches in Rochecorbon . My husband and I wanted a fab Michelin starred dinner (with no child)- something we always treat ourselves to one night when on our yearly europe vacation. The service was not up to par at all. We felt totally ripped off and would have rathered spent less money at a restaurant in Vouvray for a better dining experience.

• Liked — Location and price.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

We booked the Apartment Rochelliere. I thought this would be a unique experience. Turns out it was a little too unique for us. This apartment should not be rented out until some work is done on it. First of all it needs a really good cleaning. My heart sank when I started to notice the dirty floors (even crunched up potato chips under the table), the dingy bed covers, the broken faucet at the kitchen sink, that kind of damp sticky feel on surfaces that you know is just not clean. Next it was the smell. It was so musty we could hardly stand it. Sounds like a perfect place for creepy crawlers doesn't it? Yes indeed, centipedes to be exact and plenty of them. I quit counting after around 15. Under the towels, on the floor, in the shower, on the shower curtain. My husband took off his shoe (at our new hotel) after a long day of site seeing and low and behold out came a very flattened dried up centipede (Yuke!!!!). We had to stay the first night as we had no where else to go. The next day I told them the problem and they said they would clean up. Nothing was done. Our towels were not even change. So again we stayed as it was too late to go somewhere else. The next morning I told the owner we were leaving. She gave us a room in the main building for one night. It was very nice and clean. So if you stay in the main building you would be okay. The breakfast is not worth it. There were four of us at breakfast and she filled one glass half full of orange juice and said "sorry, that's all I have". The pool and lounge chairs look great from afar, but, up close you notice that mildew is growing on all the cushions. Again, yuke!! I didn't want to touch anything. This place could be beautiful but it needs a lot of work. I can't say the owner was mean or nasty or anything like that and she helped us reclaim my husbands lost luggage, but, unfortunately I cannot recommend this Chateau.

Stayed August 2007
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

As other reviewers say, this is a beautiful building. However, a place to stay is much more than its building. The woman who received us here (I think she is the owner's aunt) was cold to the point of being hostile. She grumpily said she wasn't sure the room was ready..this at 3pm. No smile, no advice about the area nor the hotel. the swimming pool was out of action but noone was bothered to tell us nor to apologise (it was one of the reasons I had booked the Domaine). It seems the owners are not interested in their guests. Noone could be raised at 9,30am on the morning we were leaving to deal with our comments. Alas when one has such a cold welcome one begins to notice details...one small cake of soap for two people for two days, no shampoo..difficult to find any staff at any time. It was all such a disappointment and could have been so lovely.

• Liked — the beauty of the building
  • Disliked — the lack of interest in the guests
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kelowna, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

While researching the Loire Valley on the internet I stumbled upon the website for Bidaudieres...than checked the reviews on Trip Advisor...and went on to confirm their Gate House accommodation called La Lezardiere. The pictures on the website looked charming and quaint.

When we arrived at the Domaine it was raining...but the grounds were beautiful and the main Chateau was amazing. We checked in and were taken to our private gate house. At first we were quite excited...but upon further inspection...we noticed that there were cobwebs and dead bugs everywhere. Than when we had a shower we had absolutely NO hot water (not even warm...just ice cold) and the electricity kept going on and off (but mostly stayed off).

To be fair...I cannot comment on the rooms in the Chateau (main building)...however when we had breakfast in the breakfast room, we took note that the plants were dry and wilted (as was the flower boxes at the La Lezardiere...they were dead) and there were also cobwebs everywhere. I understand that this is an old Chateau, but cobwebs, dead plants and dead bugs are not a sign of old...just unkept.

I have to say though that the service at the hotel was excellent and very helpful. If you are planning on staying at the Domaine...just do not book La Lezardiere....book in the Chateau where hopefully you will have a clean room with hot water and electricity.

• Liked — The grounds were beautiful.
  • Disliked — Our room...La Lezardiere should not be booked out until the problems are fixed.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Domaine des Bidaudieres? Share your experiences!