“A charming troglodyte B&B--in a cave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Sentinieres

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vouvray
Les Sentinieres
You added Les Sentinieres to your Saves list
12 Allee des Sentinieres, 37210 Vouvray, France   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Vouvray B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Athens, OH
“A charming troglodyte B&B--in a cave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is a truly unique experience, staying in a tastefully decorated limestone cave! Troglodyte dwellings like this, hewn out of the side of a cliff, are common in the Vouvray area. Hosts Jean-Marie and Sylvie are very personable and helpful. Jean-Marie brought sumptuous breakfasts to our room every morning, and was available with help whenever needed. He even drove us down into town to a restaurant our first evening, so that we would know the way to walk home. Sylvie kindly even did some laundry for us one day. The location is excellent for wine tasting in the area: try Chateau Gaudrelle in Rochecorbon nearby, and Caves Duhard in Vouvray. Be aware that Wi-Fi doesn't work well there due to the overhanging cliffs, and that it is a little hard to find by car (though Jean-Marie will lead you if you call or walk to the address). Parking is across the street and the B&B is a short walk up a narrow road (no cars).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Ran across their B&B site while trying to find a unique place to stay in this area of the Loire. I immediately wanted to stay in a cave no matter what, how fun! And was delighted to find it was highly rated on tripadvisor.

This place did not disappoint. From the very beginning, they were friendly and accomodating. It was near impossible for me to send them cash Euros from the US, my bank told me that I'd have to go to the airport to get them. When I explained they were gracious and just said to pay in full on arrival.

We arrived late in the day, and it was a bit difficult to find, but we found it, and Jean-Marie was so so so very helpful, jogging down the hill to meet us and help us carry our bags, he then brought over his daughter to help translate. We all managed to communicate just fine, and they were both so cheery. They told us of a pizza place, we went to eat, and came back and loved the cozy accomodations. The couch was made up for our girls, and they blankets where thick and plentiful. Climbing into bed was like a soft cocoon, like sleeping in a cloud. We all slept very well, and the intrigue of sleeping in a troglodyte cave was realized.

Then there is the breakfast...the fabulous amazing breakfast! Thank you!

And then upon arrival we asked about a place to get some wine, where Jean-Marie directed us to a lovely little place down the road, where we tasted the best wine we've ever tasted. Amazing.

No matter what you're here to see or do, this place must be visited. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My young daughter and I chose this B&B from the reviews on Trip Advisor, as an overnight between seeing the châteaux in the Loire Valley. I am so glad we did! The hosts were delightful, professional and very responsive -- everything from moving our car around to the (not obvious) parking and advising as to local restaurants to making up the second bed in our room when my daughter decided she wanted her own space. The breakfast was generous ("This is not a Bed & Breakfast," my daughter exclaimed, "This is a Bed & Feast!") and the hosts just were easy, gracious and generous with her little explorations of the gardens, beinging her cool pebbles for her collection, etc. The rooms are quaint, tidy, unique and charming. I recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I found this exquisite B&B through TripAdvisor and feel compelled to add praise to praise. To begin with, the rooms, carved in the cliff, are as beautiful as original, very quiet and cozy inside. The owner proved to be more than nice (my wife says "adorable"), always ready to help, For instance he took his car to show us the way from downtown (just call him), he moved our heavy bags when we arrived, and expertly assisted a handicapped family member in our party. With his wife he also served delicious and abundant breakfasts at a time of our choosing. We spent 3 happy nights there and would gladly return.
Although one cannot drive all the way up there and must park at the bottom of the steep "allée" leading to the entrance gate (about 300 feet), the owner provides all the help needed. It is absolutely no problem.
Finally Vouvray, while not terribly interesting in itself, it superbly situated in the Loire valley, close to every place you might want to visit. Staying a few nights there makes from all points of view lots of sense.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

We had a fabulous break here. The setting is truly amazing. The hosts were welcoming, the accommodation superb and the breakfasts delightful. We will definitely go back. It was the best place we have ever stayed!!

• Stayed July 2012
Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

The most beautiful hotel I´ve ever been!
Once I´ve entered the room I started crying. It´s wonderful in every little detail... A cozy and romantic place.
And the owner is a really nice person!
I wouldn´t change a thing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

The hosts are very enthusiastic and helpful. Their troglodyte lodging (I stayed in suite) was immaculate and very charmingly decorated. Staying there has been a highlight of my trip so far. The only advice I would have is to maybe download a map of Vouvray first and confirm directions w/ owners. We got a little turned around. I can not recommend this place or its hosts highly enough.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Les Sentinieres? Share your experiences!