“Great staff but old rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Muskegon
Gurgaon, India
“Great staff but old rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here for a long time - 3 months!
They have a very pleasant staff which made my stay very comfortable
Otherwise it's a comfortable hotel with big rooms, nice restaurant, good location (next to the hockey stadium, theatre and some good downtown restaurants and pubs
Their rooms are a bit let down, they are old with old CRT tv's and lamps (where you have to press three times to light the two bulbs :)
Good place if you are with a family Or you are topping by for a day - Infact a good place to stay considering there is no better alternative in Muskegon

• Stayed April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear tsmathur,

Thank you for your stay with us and leaving us feedback. I am happy that we have hosted you at our property for a long time and our staff's service was at par with your standards. Your comments about the rooms needing of an upgrade will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done in the future.

Again, thanks for the candid feedback and we hope to see you soon!

Regards,

Pam G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Macomb, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed here 1 night on recent business trip. Was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews. It's a very old building but everything from the lobby to rooms were newly decorated. Room was clean and spacious and had a flat screen t.v. with direct tv so had alot of stations to choose from. Had a decent bar with reasonably priced drinks and breakfast buffet was ok. Priority club members get 2 vouchers at check-in and can use for a free drink at bar, complimentary breakfast or 15% off entree at restaurant. Excellent staff and good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I would rate this hotel a 10 i have stayed at several hotels in in several states and have never been treated so good. The staff at this holiday in works very hard to make sure you are pleased with your stay. They are extreme overachievers. Very nice and very clean rooms. The location was very nice, My grandfather was in the mercy hospital and I liked that it was only a 5 minute drive away. Thank you, Jason luttrell

• Stayed February 2013
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was clean and the front desk staff were all very nice and professional. Probably the friendliest i have encountered.
the only negative was the pool and hot tub, which were connected so the hot tub temp was about 75. I was not getting in a luke warm hot tub. The pool was very cloudy and instead of a dry sauna they had a steam room which i may have tried but it smelled kinda like feet.
The bar staff was friendly enough. We had good service. They had a DJ and was not too crowded for a saturday night.
The beds were pretty comfy and the pillows were nice. It was quiet and the location is perfect.
I would recommend.

• Stayed February 2013
Hell, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Overall our stay was pleasant and the staff showed genuine care an consideration about our stay. This happened at check in, about an hour later when they called to make sure everything was ok, when we had an issue which they helped resolve, and the restaurant staff at breakfast time. This hotel has some employees who seemed to genuinely care about their guests.

The hotel itself is in a great location in downtown Muskegon and the view from our 8th floor window was excellent. There were a few negatives about the hotel building itself and one was that we had trouble getting the shower to work and to run with water warm enough to take a shower. The front desk resolved the issue but the hotel looks like the rooms could use some TLC to update them. Overall our stay was good and this would have been a 5 star stay if the rooms were given some TLC and the water pressure and water temperature were what a guest expect them to be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear trbeer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am pleased that you enjoyed the service our staff provided. I'm sorry you were not 100% satisfied with your room conditions. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Irish V.
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

First, I travel every week and stay at Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Expresses almost exclusively. 95% of them are very good and I recommend them to friends and co-workers. This one stood out as the worst Holiday Inn I've stayed at.

I got to the hotel late. Check-in was fast and the girl behind the counter was very professional and pleasant.

This hotel has not been renovated in many, many years. It feels like a cheap motel when you walk into your room. One of the first things I noticed was a broken lamp on one of the bedstands.

I had some work to do, so the first thing I did was get my computer setup. There were no outlets anywhere near the work desk. About 8 feet away was a single outlet that was free. Luckily I carry and extension cord with me.

The second thing I noticed grossed me out for the rest of the night. On the chair at the work desk was tons of stains, including a white, crusty stain at the front of it. Yes, crusty. It was making me sick, so I called the front desk to get a new chair. The one they brought to my room was WORSE. I told them to get both chairs away from my room. Some of the other furniture in the room also had disgusting stains on it.

The A/C unit was OLD. It had a thermostat dial like any other A/C, but there was no way to adjust it between COLD and SUPER HOT. I played with it throughout the night, but finally settled on being cold.

One of my pet peeves is when a hotel does not provide a channel guide for the TV. This hotel does not. And half the channels on the TV don't work.

The internet speed was decent.

The bed's mattress was uncomfortable and obviously a few years (or decades) beyond it's useful life. My back hurt when I woke up and the rest of the day.

In the morning I iron my clothes for the day. The iron was nice enough to deposit tons of white stuff on my dark pants. Again, probably a few years past it's useful life.

I've had enough bad experiences at Holiday In restaurants that I avoid them except for getting coffee. The coffee at this one was horrible. Barely drinkable. And in case you are considering staying here and having breakfast, when I walked by at 7AM the restaurant was still not open.

If it wasn't so late and if there was another IHG hotel nearby I would have left and not stayed at this hotel, but there isn't much to choose from in this area. Good luck if you decide to stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear MarkInCT,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you have mentioned our friendly and helpful staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. Most importantly, I would like to apologize if we fell below your expectations. I have taken note of this issue and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve the facilities we offer to your guests.

Janice A
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in New Years eve. I checked in, the employee behind the counter looked like ahe had lost her best friend. Wouldnt crack a smile, and kind of got snappy when I tries to make a joke or get aome humor out of the situation.
I booked the room because I attended a party there, and wanted to make sure I was safe in the event I drank too much.
The end of the party came and I was completly fine. I asked if I could have a refund, and smugly I recieved a "no". I tried to plead that I didnt even take the room key out of my pocket, and I was responded to with a "you should of thought of that before you booked". I asked to speak with a manager, was told one wasn't in. Im rating the service terrible becuase of the attitude behind the counter. But once I got up to the room, it was ok. Not too impressive for a holiday inn. I would probably stay there again should I need to. Just grin and bear it when dealing with people behin the counter.

• Stayed December 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Muskegon, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear magnusprime1984,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the service you encountered at check in and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Muskegon, MI.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Muskegon? Share your experiences!