“A special treat” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, French, Italian
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
“A special treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary so we decided to splurge. We ordered the rib eye which is organic and locally grown. I can really appreciate a good piece of steak now and again. This was bar none the best steak I have ever eaten. The ambience and the waitstaff combined with the food made our anniversary a great success.

Visited January 2012

96% Recommend
East Lansing, Michigan
“Best Restaurant in Muskegon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have been frequenting this restaurant since 1976, which is when I believe it first opened. Although the portions are smaller than back then, they continue to be a great place to eat, which is unusual for Muskegon. Everything from the atmosphere to the cocktails, make it the only place in Muskegon, where I will take a guest.
I enjoy dining here and although, I no longer live in West Michigan, I always make a reservation when I know I will be in town.
I generally, skip the soups and sandwiches, for which they are so popular and choose from the specials for that evening. The pasta Tagliatelle, is a fave of mine.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Whitehall, MI
“Deserving of #1 in Muskegon rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My sister and I took my mom out to celebrate her birthday. I hadn't been to the Hearthstone in over a year and was not disappointed.

I'd called ahead to make reservations for three and let the hostess know that we had a birthday girl in the party, plus that she required a gluten-free menu. They were happy to oblige, making note of it and following through in style, complete with a complimentary Flourless Chocolate Torte for Mom at the end of our meal.

Our server was really sweet and after greeting us and telling us about the specials, she let us know that it was her last night to work there as she was getting married and moving away. She took our drink orders and my mom picked out a couple crayons (located next to the sugar, salt, and pepper) and started writing "Happy life [waitress's name]!" on the paper table cover. I helped her decorate it with flowers and balloons. When our server came back she was tickled and ended up taking a picture of our table top card.

My mom ordered a gluten-free beer, my sister had her favorite drink and I selected a sweet Italian Moscato. The parmesan rolls were tasty, especially dipped in olive oil from the Cheese Lady, one of my favorite local shops. Mom appreciated real butter for her gluten-free roll. Sis and I both ordered cups of soup; hers the soup of the day, "Feather Fowlie," with chunks of white meat chicken and ham, and mine, my favorite, French Onion Gratinee. (She let me have a taste of hers. It was creamy and delicious!)

For mains, Mom chose the Roast Beef, Goat Cheese & Grilled Asparagus Tartine on gluten-free bread. It came with a salad on the side. My sister had her favorite French Dip sandwich and I picked the Bistro Steak special with panko encrusted asparagus tips and yummy potatoes on the side.

My sister and I shared a wonderful bread pudding made with croissants, blueberries, almond slices and a rum sauce, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I had a cup of coffee with my dessert -- slightly better than your average restaurant coffee. Mom decided to take her dessert home as she'd had all she could eat for the evening!

Atmosphere this Sunday evening was okay, but service and food were great! Extra credit goes to our friendly waitress and to the manager for stopping by our table to make sure everything was to our liking. Also, it's often the small things, but . . . Sugar in the Raw as one of the sweetener choices (for coffee or tea) is appreciated, and keeping crayons on the table for the young ones (and the young at heart) is still a neat idea!

Keep up the good work, Hearthstone! :)

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Logansport, Indiana
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We ate at the Hearthstone Grill twice this summer because it was so wonderful! Truly one of the best places we've ever eaten. The service was fantastic and the food was wonderful and memorable. The pasta dishes are wonderful. The appetizers are tasty and unique. My only regret is that we live so far away and cannot go there on a regular basis! We were on vacation celebrating our 30th anniversary in Michigan and this place was a winner for us.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Grand Haven, Michigan
“Very good, as usual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Consistent service and quality of food. Excellent homemade soups and pastas. Be prepared for a bit of a wait on weekends, however. The seating is somewhatr limited.

Visited August 2012