“Nicest staff in town - but bring your own pillow” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Muskegon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sterling Heights, MI
“Nicest staff in town - but bring your own pillow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The staff at the hotel is the nicest I have ever met! The gal at the front desk during check in was friendly and helpful even though it was 10:30 pm. She was even nice when coming to our room to tell us she had a complaint that we were opening our room door too much (what?). The woman supplying the breakfast bar was cheerful and even announced when the breakfast room was closing so that we could get our fill. The front desk person also came to help when the breakfast room got busy by refilling the waffle batter and coffee urns.
My biggest complaint was that the pillows were so uncomfortable! What is it with hotels and tall, firm pillows anyway? Does anyone like oversized hard pillows?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
FairfieldMKGNS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! The staff here is a pleasure to work with, they work hard to make each guest feel like the hotel is their home away from home. I am sorry that you did not like the pillows, next time please let us know and we can see if we have any different types of pillows available!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Our stay in the area for graduations. Fairfield was our choice for availability. Thankful that they did not require a minimum two night stay as a few other hotels in the area. This hotel was VERY clean. Loved the breakfast area. Food was great, but need do better with scrambled eggs. I have two complaints: one for the price that we paid, I would think that the towels would be of better quality. They were very thin. Not what I would expect from this chain. Also, the noise between rooms was a bit loud. This made it hard to fall asleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the response. I am glad that you liked the hotel. We pride ourselves upon the cleanliness of our rooms, this is something that we work very hard to maintain! I am sorry that the towels in your room seemed thin. Please let us know when issues like this occur, we would have happily gotten you a different set of towels!
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Was there over Memorial Day weekend after spending the day at Saugatuck. Smooth check in, very clean facility with neat functional rooms. Decent breakfast spread- only let down being the scrambled eggs. Don't miss the Mac Woods dune rides if you happen to be here.

• Stayed May 2013
FairfieldMKGNS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here and we hope to see you back again soon!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our stay was nice at the Norton Shore Fairfield. The breakfast was very nice and the facility while being updated at the time of stay and appeared to be nearly completed was in excellent condiiton.

The challenges are:
- Marriott Website did not show this location as a choice, but did for downtown Grand Rapids when we put Grand Haven in as a destination. I had to call Marriott to get a reservation since it would not show proper rate during our stay.
- As a Platinum Elite status with Marriott, I did not get an upgrade since this is rare since I typically get them.
- It was Memorial day weekend, so the pool was busy. But the facility was well cared for and the location was close to everything.

Overall, we liked the Fairfield Inn. I probably should state the challenge with getting a reservation, since I know its location and being close to Grand Haven. But it would be good to see that the management could resolve this since it would increase their business.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are situated away from the highway. I would suspect that some of the 1st floor...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FairfieldMKGNS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for the kind review! We are at the tail end of our renovations and we are really excited about how everything has turned out. The breakfast was one of the items that we updated, adding things like sausage and scrambled eggs, so I am glad to hear that you liked it. Thank you for your business, we hope to see you again soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I called just few minutes ago (May 26 2013) and talked to Jessica Rizarda , I was excited since I am not only making a reservation for my family but also for another 5 rooms for my friends on standard rate. Being a travel agent myself i asked her first if they do offer travel agent discounts and she told me that I have to check online which is fine because I know for a fact that MARRIOTT has special rates SOMETIMES for Famtastic rates but when I asked if it is possible for me to get the STANDARD rate for my friends who need 5 rooms ( 21 people including 6kids under 12 yrs old) , she told me to check it on line too!!!!
In short she wanted me to do her job since I am a travel agent !!!!

I booked hotels everyday since it is a part of my job but never in my 20years of experience in a travel industry was I ever treated that way!!! From now on I will let my staff and my team know re this experience and will do our best not to offer this particular hotel in MUSKEGON , ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Well I'm just glad that I ended up making a reservation on another hotel that has a very good customer service and was able to booked 6 rooms including ours.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to write this review. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the interaction that you had with our front desk staff. I can assure you that this incident is very out of the ordinary for us. Our staff works extremely hard to assist all guests with any and all needs that they may have, as well as, to make every stay memorable for all guests. I would like to extend the invitation for you to give our hotel another try and hopefully you will regain your confidence in us.
washington, michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed this hotel for two nights had to move rooms. Room 101 is right next to the stairs and the exit. Perfect if you want to hear a herd of elephants running up and down the stairs to get to the pool or people going outside to smoke. They did move us the next day - after not sleeping well the night before. Need to do a berter job sound-proofing. Disappointing

• Stayed May 2013
Please accept my deepest apologies for the disappointment that you may have experienced at our hotel. I understand the frustration of a noise disturbance, especially in the middle of the night and I do apologize for that. I am glad we were able to move you to a different location in the hotel. If you are ever in Muskegon again we hope you'll give our hotel another try!
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am from the Muskegon area and stayed here out of necessity when back to see the family. This was such a pleasant surprise. Rather than a long review, I will just say that the staff is absolutely exceptional and friendly. They have their hearts into it and favorably compare with any Marriott property anywhere. The property is clean and affordable. It also has excellent access down to Grand Haven and up to Muskegon. There is not much of a negative.

When my wife and daughter and I travel back, we often stay over at the JW in Grand Rapids. But especially for a short stay - 2-3 days, this property is tough to beat. I am sure that we will redirect some of our future stays here, and save the extra hour a day that we often spend traveling back and forth to GRR. If you are a Marriott Rewards member this is a great choice.

Very pleasant surprise. And kudos to the staff.

Room Tip: I haven't had enough experience to answer this well, but the room that I did have on the 3rd flo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FairfieldMKGNS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments! We work very hard at making each guests' stay special and so I am happy to hear that you enjoy staying here at our hotel. We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and to the Marriott brand and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores? Share your experiences!