“Good for a night” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brighton, Michigan
“Good for a night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed overnight after visiting Michigan Adventure. The room was clean, cozy. However, the walls and windows were a bit thin because I was awakened by children running and squealing down the halls at 11pm. At around 2:30am, I was awakened again by a disgruntled man yelling and spewing obscenties. It was tolerable for a place to sleep overnight but I wouldn't want to stay any longer than that. The location is close to shopping and restaurants which was a plus.

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Flushing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed here for a few days while visiting Michigan Adventure (it's about a 15 minute drive). First the positives ~ The entire hotel was VERY VERY clean (and I'm really picky!), the staff at the front desk, cleaning staff and breakfast area ladies were all very, very nice. The breakfast area was pretty empty between 8-9 am, but of became busy closer to 10 am when it closed. I was surprised at the selection. Numerous types of coffee, juices, fruits and cereals ~ waffle makers, boiled eggs and a fridge full of different yogurts and breakfast sandwiches that were warmed in the microwave. On the last morning we accidentally slept in and went down 5 minutes before it closed. Both ladies working the area were so nice and gave me 2 trays and basically loaded them up for me to take back to the room. They even got items from the back fridge that they had already put away. Now for the few negatives that we felt would only apply to families in the specific room we were in. We booked about a week before so the only room they had opened was a king "suite" with a pull out sofa that "would sleep four." When we walked in the room my husband and I just looked at each other in disbelief. This is one of the smallest hotel rooms I've stayed in. Don't get me wrong, it was decorated very nice and would be perfect for a business traveler or even a couple. But a family of 4 was pushing the limits (and we have smaller kids). We had to move all the furniture out of the room in order for the sofa to open and then it was so close to the wall that holds the TV that you basically had to step up and over the end of the pull out sofa to get in the room where the king bed was. We had no issues with noise. I will say that the bathroom was very large and it was supplied with extra towels ~ the bed was super comfy, many pillows (U could actually request what kind of pillows you wanted) and when we couldn't find the bedding for the pull-out they had it to our room within 5 minutes. There were also 2 large flat screen TV's also. The dorm fridge and microwave area had quite a bit of room to store all of our food. Also, we didn't feel like going out to dinner once we were in and the girls up front suggested a pizza place that delivers (can't remember the name- but a mom and pop place ~ they would know the name). Some of the best pizza we've ever had! When walking down the hall during the day you could see where they were cleaning the rooms that had 2 queen beds and that would have been perfect for us. Oh, and when people say the pool is small they're not kidding ~ honestly it was about the size of our room. Anyway, besides the room size issue we were very happy with our stay and wouldn't hesitate going back. I think we paid $169 per night, but it's prime vacation time for this part of Michigan so that's to be expected. I hope this helps :-)

Room Tip: The king suite with pull-out soft could barely sleep the 4 people they said it could
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
kimmyketchup
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed for a few days of dune buggying at Silver Lake and Michigan Adventure. We could have stayed closer to both activities for a bit cheaper and probably as nice. The King room was given to us for a military discount which was the highest discounted price that we have ever paid for similar accommodations. The walls were terribly thin and because we checked in late, we were given the room next to the elevator, (which made the sounds worse) and had a toilet that ran all night. We did notify the desk staff of the problem. However, she wasn't too concerned and stated "Oh, sorry". Hopefully it was fixed after we checked out! On a brighter note, The hotel was VERY clean (and I am very picky about cleanliness) and the breakfast was great! The weekend breakfast staff was great, I think her name was Diane? Very accommodating and friendly! The pool was way too small for a hotel with the occupancy rates that this hotel has, since it is booked in advance every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I wonder what they would do if more than 30 people (the maximum) wanted to use the pool at the same time? We will most likely return to this hotel and try it again, but we will check into other area hotels as well, since I really didn't feel like the staff addressed our maintenance issue satisfactorily and they couldn't move us, since they were "booked".

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators, ask for a large suite. Some are much larger than others.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
SE Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

The Fairfield Inn, Norton Shores is in a convenient location, in close proximity to shopping centers, a large selection of restaurants and endless activities. Pere Marquette Park on Lake Michigan is about a fifteen minute drive and well worth your time. Michigan's Adventure is close to this hotel as well, and a must do while in the area.
The Hotel itself is well maintained and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are on the small side for a Fairfield Inn, and I'm not sure if suites are available at this location. The pool is indoor and very small.
We were there over Memorial Weekend and the pool area was crowded and the breakfast area was extremely crowded. The breakfast attendant was visibly overwhelmed by the amount of people so food choices were not properly stocked and the area was a mess. I think in this situation, staff from another area of the hotel should have assisted the young lady. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again though. All of the important qualities are in place.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators and pool area.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Hotel was clean and comfortable - located in the "shopping district" of Norton Shores/Muskegon area. (Across the road from the mall and in the Kohl's parking lot.) I generally pick Marriott chain hotels and enjoy them, however, this one was just average based upon the price I paid for 1 night. The hotel pool is very small, but served it's purpose. Contintental breakfast was average, although my daughter thought the waffles were excellent.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I don't visit Muskegon very often, but when I do, I stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. Very clean, nice people at the front desk, and you can't beat the location: right by the mall and the airport. It has cookies too.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We travel to the Muskegon, Michigan, area regularly to visit family and are always on the lookout for a quality place to stay. Our experience is that the city just doesn't have much in the way of solid, clean, "fresh," family-oriented accommodations. Once again, we looked into the Fairfield Inn (one of our "go to" spots, along with the Hampton Inn just down the road). Once again, we were pleased with what we found.

The hotel remains clean, the staff friendly, the pool inviting. The location is also good--right next to the mall and a variety of dining options, as well as lots of different shopping locations, in case we find we have a need. Internet was easy to access, and the free breakfast was acceptable and offered enough different options (if not fabulous).

The biggest drawback to the place? How difficult it can be to get a reservation! The place fills up! A few months out, we weren't even able to reserve a room. Luckily for us, I kept trying, and about one month out, a room because available using the online system. Make sure to get the AAA discount, AND to look for the cookies (my kids love 'em).

Muskegon needs more accommodation options, but until it gets them, the Fairfield Inn Norton Shores is our first choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
FairfieldMKGNS, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Thank you for consistently choosing the Fairfield Inn and Suites Muskegon. We sincerely appreciate the business!

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores? Share your experiences!