“good hotel excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Perla Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Leon
La Perla Hotel
You added La Perla Hotel to your Saves list
Iglesia La Merced | 1 cuadra al norte, Leon, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Leon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“good hotel excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

we stop here for a night, in our trip from costa rica where we live to costa Maya in Mexico, we loved the hotel, the historical building is very well preserved, the staff was very friendly and nice. Excellent the location in the heart of Leon, very good for people who love to walk around leaving the car in the park.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate all guests who take the time to submit a review.
We also encourage all guest to review any issues while they are at the hotel with myself or the General Manager George.
Sincerely
Jim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

La Perla is fundamentally a nice property in a very interesting city. In general, the hotel staff was very helpful and graciously arranged for changing money and also obtained a local driver to take us to area attractions. At the same time, we found that the safes in our rooms did not work. We had to secure valuables in the hotel's main safe. Also on one of the three evenings we spent at La Perla, we found that the hotel restaurant amazingly was nearly out of everything on the menu. Given that it was somewhat late other area options were very limited causing us some inconvenience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Have correct an issue in the kitchen as we had a new staff and did not properly train them on ordering fish and shrimp. We try to source directly from the fisherman within 20 miles of the hotel, but I failed to communicate a backup as sometimes the weather prevents the local fisherman from going out to sea..

I appreciate your comments as they were helpful in correcting this problem
San Antonio, Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went on vacation never being to Nicaragua before. Just searched the web and found what looked like a very fine hotel in the middle of Leon. We arrived to stay just a couple of nights and found the hotel to be very friendly and nice. The rooms were clean and AC was very cold because it was very hot outside. And the cool refreshing room was very relaxing. All in all we had a very pleasant stay. The only thing I thought was not very appealing was the breakfast that was included. For spending 123.00 a night the food I thought could be alot better. But only for that I would still reccomend staying again and to anybody else to go and stay here, The service is excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.
We are reviewing our breakfast menu to be sure we have enough variety to meet our guest needs.
We encourage our guests if they have special meal request for breakfast, lunch or dinner...let us know
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

As soon as we pulled up I knew it would be special. We were greeted by Milton at reception, who checked us in and made sure we were comfortable. There was a problem with the safety deposit box in the room and he fixed it on the spot. Later on he also arranged transportation for us to Managua. Our room was so comfortable, ac perfect, lighting perfect, and the most comfortable king sized bed I have ever slept in. We had French doors that opened out onto the galeria, with a lovely roof top view. We had lunch in the hotel's restaurant, and Virgilio, the waiter, took care of us with efficiency, warmth and welcome. He also served us breakfast on the patio the next two days. The pool is small but enough to refresh yourself after a day of sightseeing in beautiful Leon, which is reknowned in Nicaragua for it's hot and dry climate. The furnishings are old but comfortable, and the entire place has a historical, rather than a restored air. I will come back again and again. Leon is a wonderful city to visit, and this hotel adds to that. 10 stars from me, and gracias.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the patio are probably quieter than rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review and citing the employee that assisted you. We appreciate your comments
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel is in a beautifully restored colonial building close to many restaurants, the main plaza and other areas of interest. It could be so much more but is very neglected in upkeep and the rooms are tired and very dated. The public areas, exterior of the hotel are all fine - it is just the rooms that are neglected. My comments below and rating above are also based on the fact that the hotel charges $100 per night which is top end in Leon and for that I expect top end ( appropriate to Nicaragua) and that is not what I got. Also when I compare this hotel to Plaza Colon in Granada which is at the same price level, it quite frankly does not even come close.

The rooms are large and dark ( to keep them cool) worsened by the heavy dark furniture which has seen better days. They are sparsely furnished - bed, bedside tables with one lamp in our case, wardrobe, safe, fridge - no chairs, two pillows only, no luggage rack. The website photos are misleading as they make the rooms look better than they are. The upstairs floor has some rooms which have doors that open onto the large balcony/terrace that runs across the entire floor and lets light flood in. The whole room changes character as a result.

The upstairs rooms also have horrible old, stained carpets vs nice clean tiles like the rooms around the pool. Guessing this is because they are older but no idea why they did not rip out the carpets and tile the room. I did not once feel like I could remove my shoes in the room but on the tiled balcony and communal areas ( where you are least likely to remove your shoes) I at least felt like I could because they looked infinitely cleaner.

Website says "luxurious bathrooms" - if that means hot water and functioning shower/loo etc then I guess it is accurate. Bathrooms are small, with older fixtures and fittings and not thoroughly cleaned ( look around the taps, edges of the shower etc and you will see the grime and neglect) but clean enough. Towels provided are clean but have seen better days. Lots of hot water and the shower pressure is fine.

Linen and towels are changed daily but the rooms are not cleaned. Our carpet remained unvacuumed whilst we were there.

The central courtyard where breakfast is served is lovely. Unfortunately only formal seating is provided so there is nowhere to sit and relax. This is true for the pool too - pool is surrounded by concrete, there is only one set of table and chairs - no loungers/parasol for sun etc.

Breakfast was okay - a range of a la carte options. Service hit and miss. Coffee - worst we have had in Nicaragua. Very weak and akin to coffee available in cheap American diners.

Staff seemed wholly uninterested in their guests. Apart from when we checked in and checked out we were never acknowledged or greeted. They would walk straight past us or just ignore us. I only realised the coffee at the entrance was for guests by reading one of the management responses on here. It was never offered or pointed out. In fact the two ladies at what I am guessing is meant to be guest relations were too busy surfing the web when I walked past to get some to even say good afternoon. The most dialogue we had was when we ordered breakfast and even then he disappeared once he served breakfast.

How this hotel became number one in Leon dumbfounds me. I am so disappointed I booked it as it impacted my enjoyment of Leon. It could be fabulous as it has some beautiful areas like the courtyard but the rooms are neglected in their upkeep, it is overpriced which I presume is a result of its Tripadvisor rating and has staff that are uninterested in their guests. If this is the best Leon has to offer then my advice is stay in Granada (Plaza Colon) and do a day trip to Leon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
lou1944, Owner at La Perla Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Clearly, we struck out with this guest...not sure how every aspect of our service, rooms, price , etc. did not meet this guests expectations...what is even more puzzling is that during this period both my son and I were at the hotel and make a very sincere attempt to greet every guest and solve problems. We review with our key personnel every day if there are any issues with any guests and try to resolve. Apparently, we "missed this guest" as there all issues cited we could have resolved if brought to the attention of the management or owners..
Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Leon is a much more working class town. The tourista venues are limited to churches and X-Anastaia Somosa era torture chambers. Interesting to be sure, but not strictly leisure activities. The Hotel La Perla is a converted Colonial house lovingly restored by the Peterson Family of the USA. I met James at the bar, after checking in, and we immediately hit it off. He lived in Minneapolis for many years, where we live, and had a natural kinship and affinity right away.

We ate at the hotel, James served a nice red and white wine from Argentina and we talked with him extensively during our two day stay. He owns and operates a casino across the street. We did not venture inside, as gambling is not our thing, but it appeared prestigious and well attended by others. James knew the owners of the Redwood Beach Resort in Machapa, where we were considering going next, and made a call to secure our accommodations immediately. He was great, insightful and charming. We enjoyed him and his facilities immensely and we sad to bid him goodbye.

James Rickson

Room Tip: Try to get your room to overlook the enclosed terrace area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
James,
Thank you for your comment..both James I enjoyed serving you.
Sincerely
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I were in Nicaragua to visit my son in the Peace Corps. He had suggested that we stay here and he was right on. It was close to everything, had. Casino, great breakfast (and I bet dinner, but we never ate there), the staff was very attentive and made great suggestions for dinner. There was a pool and plenty of space to have our visits. I would definitely sty again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to La Perla Hotel? Share your experiences!