“Hike wonderful places to help kids” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 10 Outdoor Activities in Leon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Quetzaltrekkers is a non-profit volunteer organization, offering tourists adventurous hikes to raise money for organizations helping streetkids and children at risk in Leon, Nicaragua and Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala.
Valence, France
5 attraction reviews
“Hike wonderful places to help kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

After an unsuccessful try at Quetzaltrekkers in Guatemala because of the rain I had to try my luck with Quetzaltrekkers in Leon especially as the region offer countless wonderful trips from a short Cerro Negro boarding trip to a full 3 days trek on Cosigüina Peninsula. On top of being run by experienced friendly volunteer the organization (both in Leon and Guatemala) uses all the extra money they make to finance local projects to help kids!

My pick was a 2 days trek to the Telica Volcano to go watch the lava glowing at night at the bottom of the crater. At first I was a bit scared of the size of our group (13 people including 2 guides) but soon after setting out our group proved full of good vibes! The hike was tough especially as we had to carry a lot of water but we made enough stops with snacks to stock up on energy and our guides adapted the global pace to people fitness.

The hike was awesome in itself so when we got to the top of the volcano next to the smoking crater I was thrilled and didn't want this trek to end by dinner time when we sat around a fire eating a nicely cooked meal listening to guitar songs from one of the trekker. We were lucky to have a very good view of the lava at night + a sky full of stars unspoiled by city lights! After a good night of sleep we watched the sun rising before setting out to go back to Leon. An unforgettable experience that I strongly recommend!

Visited November 2012

Switzerland
“Cerro Negra Volcano Boarding - Poor equipment - take a different operator”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I went on the day-trip to Cerro Negra.
Good short hike up, great views, steaming volcano, sunshine, conditions were great.

Unfortunately the boards that Quetzal Trekkers use are very basic and very poorly serviced. I have understanding for, and don't really care that my gloves and overall were falling apart, but if I spend almost an hour walking up, then I expect to have a thrilling ride down for all that hard work! The sliding surface is scratched open and peeling back on most of the boards that our group had, so that this friction kills your ride.

We watched 2 other groups come down, and they had much better equipment and it looked like a thrilling ride :-(

Also there is absolutely no coordination between the different tour companies, so that all groups arrived at the top at about the same time. Great! We had to wait almost an hour to start our ride, baking in the midday sun on the black volcano sand.

The other tour groups were picked up by truck exactly where the ride ends, but our truck waited another 10 minutes walk away - "in the shade" it was said. It's an open tarp-covered truck, there's no reason to park it "in the shade", jeez.

The snacks and the lunch was so-so.

Out of a group of 15, only 3 decided to go a second time, so you can imagine how enthusiastic everyone was to repeat the experience.

Visited November 2012
San Diego, CA
“Volcano boarding fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were thrilled with our experience with Quetzaltrekkers on Volcan Cerro Negro. Our guide was knowledgeable and personable and made the first hike up (in unusually intense winds nonetheless!) as easy as possible. The mid-morning snack hit the spot (everything from carrot sticks and bananas to chips and cookies), and then we were ready to tackle our second hike and board down the mountain (no other large companies in Leon offer a second run that we know of). The price was right ($30/person) and included everything--even the park admission fee--as well as a cool tshirt or tank top at the end. But above all, we loved the opportunity to do this trip with a volunteer-run organization donating all profits to a local group working with street children.

Visited August 2012
Granada, Nicaragua
“AMMMAAAZIIINNNNGGGGGGGGGG”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Just got back from the two day Telica hike, and WOW.....what an amazing trip. I have done a lot of backpacking but this trip was absolutely perfect. Such an amazing group, such amazing sights, and tomato sauce! The guides were phenomenal, they were so much fun and everyone was talking about how lucky we were to have them lead us... I am so so so glad I didnt pass up this trekk, it has been my favorite thing about my journey through central america so far!

Visited July 2012
22 attraction reviews
“Excellent operation, great tour experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Not usually a fan of guided tours but we wanted to volcano board, and I am very glad we chose to tour with them. The staff was great from booking to tour to hiking the volcano. We were provided with all the supplies and ample food and water. Our guide, Jenny, was very knowledgeable of volcanos and extremely helpful.

On top of a great experience you get a t-shirt and the knowledge that the profits go to help kids in Leon.

If I go back to Leon, I will definitely sign up for more hikes with them!