“Cerro Negra Volcano Boarding - Poor equipment - take a different operator” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quetzaltrekkers - Private Day Tours

Ranked #5 of 18 activities in Leon
Type: Tours
Attraction Details
Switzerland
“Cerro Negra Volcano Boarding - Poor equipment - take a different operator”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I went on the day-trip to Cerro Negra.
Good short hike up, great views, steaming volcano, sunshine, conditions were great.

Unfortunately the boards that Quetzal Trekkers use are very basic and very poorly serviced. I have understanding for, and don't really care that my gloves and overall were falling apart, but if I spend almost an hour walking up, then I expect to have a thrilling ride down for all that hard work! The sliding surface is scratched open and peeling back on most of the boards that our group had, so that this friction kills your ride.

We watched 2 other groups come down, and they had much better equipment and it looked like a thrilling ride :-(

Also there is absolutely no coordination between the different tour companies, so that all groups arrived at the top at about the same time. Great! We had to wait almost an hour to start our ride, baking in the midday sun on the black volcano sand.

The other tour groups were picked up by truck exactly where the ride ends, but our truck waited another 10 minutes walk away - "in the shade" it was said. It's an open tarp-covered truck, there's no reason to park it "in the shade", jeez.

The snacks and the lunch was so-so.

Out of a group of 15, only 3 decided to go a second time, so you can imagine how enthusiastic everyone was to repeat the experience.

Visited November 2012

San Diego, CA
“Volcano boarding fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were thrilled with our experience with Quetzaltrekkers on Volcan Cerro Negro. Our guide was knowledgeable and personable and made the first hike up (in unusually intense winds nonetheless!) as easy as possible. The mid-morning snack hit the spot (everything from carrot sticks and bananas to chips and cookies), and then we were ready to tackle our second hike and board down the mountain (no other large companies in Leon offer a second run that we know of). The price was right ($30/person) and included everything--even the park admission fee--as well as a cool tshirt or tank top at the end. But above all, we loved the opportunity to do this trip with a volunteer-run organization donating all profits to a local group working with street children.

Visited August 2012
Granada, Nicaragua
“AMMMAAAZIIINNNNGGGGGGGGGG”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Just got back from the two day Telica hike, and WOW.....what an amazing trip. I have done a lot of backpacking but this trip was absolutely perfect. Such an amazing group, such amazing sights, and tomato sauce! The guides were phenomenal, they were so much fun and everyone was talking about how lucky we were to have them lead us... I am so so so glad I didnt pass up this trekk, it has been my favorite thing about my journey through central america so far!

Visited July 2012
21 attraction reviews
“Excellent operation, great tour experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Not usually a fan of guided tours but we wanted to volcano board, and I am very glad we chose to tour with them. The staff was great from booking to tour to hiking the volcano. We were provided with all the supplies and ample food and water. Our guide, Jenny, was very knowledgeable of volcanos and extremely helpful.

On top of a great experience you get a t-shirt and the knowledge that the profits go to help kids in Leon.

If I go back to Leon, I will definitely sign up for more hikes with them!

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“So much fun and worth every penny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This was simply an awe inspiring experience. Sure its hot and sweaty but if you sign up thinking otherwise maybe you need a reality check. Guides are so helpful and full of information. Would definitely do it again.

Visited May 2012