“mi casa es tu casa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bigfoot Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Bigfoot Hostel
Del Banco Procredit 1/2 Cuadra Sur | Across the street from Via Via, Leon, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #6 of 29 Specialty lodging in Leon
London, Canada
“mi casa es tu casa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

BigFoot Hostel was absolutely wonderful. Upon a friendly welcoming, we were immediately able to join the 9am trip for Volcano boarding, while leaving our backpacks safely in the lobby area. After an amazing hike from wonderful tour guides (Carlos and Marcos), and being amped up to successfully board down an active volcano, we came back to the hostel and enjoyed delicious mojitos before the party night in 'Brazil' happened that night. The whole experience will never be forgotten and everyone felt like lifelong friends and acquaintances. The dancing, the laughing, the pictures - the whole atmosphere - deserves huge credit.

Special thanks goes to Carlos (an incredibly talented photographer as well as tour guide) and Marcos (who successfully rocked his second day on the job).

Room Tip: The dorm rooms were more than great - lots of room, very safe feeling
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

353 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Don't know where to start, this place was so good. Really really good atmosphere and loads of really cool people. Volcano boarding and the night after was a definite highlight of my time in central america. I lost my passport when I was there and the staff couldn't have been more helpful, The volcano boarding guide, Carlos, came with me to the police station on more than one occasion, even getting up at five in the morning to translate for me! Felt it was such a safe place I sorted the whole thing out from there, getting everything mailed there and everything. They were just so helpful and made everything so much easier for me. And I had great craic while I was there! If your going to Nicaragua I'd say staying in Bigfoot is a must!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Bigfoot hostel was recommended to us by a group of friends who were a few days ahead of us travelling around central america and they couldn't have been more right about how awesome it was! We had no reservations arriving in Leon, stayed the first night in a different hostel as we arrived late and just stayed in the first place we found but moved to Bigfoot the next morning. The Volcano boarding was by far my favourite experience of our 2 months in Central America, and our guide carlos made the whole thing even more fun and enjoyable! he knew everything there was to know about the volcano itself (cerro negro) which made it more than just a volcano boarding trip!
The Hostel itself was great fun, real friendly staff along with carlos. The rooms are so spacious compared to some of the other cramped little hostels we stayed in at times and there was a great little pool in the shape of a (wait for it) foot! Also we really enjoyed the animals around the place. When we arrived the cat was just after having kittens and we hear that after we left the dog was just after having puppies. there's also little turtles roaming free around the place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I arrived in Leon, Nicaragua not having reserved accommodation. The guys on the bus I was travelling with recommended Bigfoot so I went along with that. The hostel did not disappoint when I arrived. The staff were great and the hostel itself was lively and welcoming.

I had a great couple of days in the hostel, with my highlight being Volcano boarding organised by Carlos (who shared the same love of photography as I did). Carlos has done, and is doing a great job in organising the trips to the Cerra Negro to carry out probably one of the best activities you can do whilst travelling around Central America. I'm glad I did it.

Looking forward to hopefully return in the future.

Safe travels everyone.

Room Tip: I find it best to go with people's recommendation to places to stay as opposed to what it says i...
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

First the good stuff... Volcano Boarding was awesome! Exactly what I wanted it to be. Crazy hike up, I have a new pacemaker so I wouldn't have been able to make the hike without Carlos, our guide and photographer extraordinaire. Seriously, without him I would have been just sitting at the bottom wishing I was at the top. Anyway, he led a great hike, filled with interesting facts about Cerro Negro, stopped to take some great group photos (took requests and uploaded all the pictures ridiculously fast, seriously the guy knows what he is doing). Standing at the top looking down was a bit intimidating but it was one of the most exhilarating things I've done in quite a while. I plan on going back and doing this again in a year or so, when I am in better shape and would recommend this place to anyone as your one-stop Volcano Boarding destination. Great value when you think about everything being provided from room, transportation, equipment, guide, beer and Mojitos.

Bigfoot Hostel it's self was not exact my ideal hostel, they don't accept reservations I was told so I had to come in blind but they had a dorm room available so it worked out. They were a little disorganized, I was asked to pay for my dorm room several times by the same employee even though I had already paid him. I had to keep reminding him I had already paid for the room. Then every morning they asked me to tell them if I was staying an additional night and to make sure I paid for it by 11am, so I had to keep reminding them I had paid for all three nights up front. The Hostel was a little too party party for my taste, would have preferred Via Via across the road (quieter, more laid back, I ate there most nights great food).

Leon itself is beautiful, Bigfoot is situated nicely with good places to eat (Try Don Jack's around the corner), near beautiful churches and the Museum, walking distance to Camaleon a great after hours party place. So I'd say Definitely a Do if you are in Leon...but be prepared for the party atmosphere...

Room Tip: The dorm rooms to the back of the hostel are much quieter than the front ones as you are away from t...
Leon, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Hey guys! If you guys get a chance defo check out bigfoot hostel in Leon. We were there for 3 days and had an unreal time. Volcano boarding is seriously amazing. We got up to speeds of like 72km\hr. The guide Carlos is a seriously cool guy which makes the whole trip much more fun. He'll have a camera with him so you'll get some great snaps of you at full speed. The whole experience is defo worth it guys so if you get a chance give it a go.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I arrived at the bigfoot on Saturday afternoon. Check in was quick and easy and I also signed up for the volcano boarding. I would definitely recommend this place. However,note that this is a party hostel, the music is loud and the drinks are flowing. So if this is not your style, I would recommend going somewhere a little more quite. I had a good time, partied with the other travelers till 11pm when their bar closes. Then one of the lovely ladies that works at the cafe and Carlos (the volcano boarding guide) walked us to a club where the partying continued. Next morning volcano boarding was AWESOME. Would do it again in a heart beat. I really enjoyed my stay, volcano boarding and the people I meet.

Room Tip: Get the rooms further from the entrance, their much quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bigfoot Hostel? Share your experiences!