“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Terrace Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Munising
Terrace Motel
You added Terrace Motel to your Saves list
420 Prospect St., Munising, MI 49862   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband & I vacationed a week in Munising staying st the Terrace Motel. It was perfect, clean, quiet and very pleasant. Larry is a great host. He greeted us and immediately provided a map and directions to the closest points of interest. The kitchen area was clean and my husband loved the sauna. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: We were in room 15, nice setting.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Marengo, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great location for any time of the year. Quiet and within walking distance to just about everything you need. Larry, is extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area, and an all around great guy. The motel is an older "Ma & Pop" type motel that has everything you need without all the "fancy hotel" amenities that you usually never use but always pay for at the pricey motels. I have stayed at The Terrace a few times before and the rooms are always very clean and plenty adequate. Nothing misrepresented here and I would have to say that most of the reviews are quite accurate. For the price, location, and the friendly hospitality, it can't be beat!

Rochester, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you're looking for an inexpensive, not completely disgusting place to crash for a few hours, you might consider this motel. It is VERY outdated and not too clean, but not unlike other UP dives. There appear to be MANY people who simply live here full-time, based on some of the setups they had, and it seems quite obvious that they are "rewarded" by writing reviews to keep this place ranked WAY higher than it should be. Larry does seem to be a nice guy, and he is doing whatever he can to keep business up, but replace the carpet, fix the walls/fans/windows/pool room.... and you won't need to pretend to be something you are not. I might consider staying here again, in a pinch on a quick stay, but DO NOT expect it to be a nice place like you may read.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Grandville, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was looking for a stress-free place to spend one night and not have to pay a bundle. The Terrace Motel fit the bill perfectly. Set in a residential area, it was off the beaten path so there was no traffic noise or late-night pool side parties to contend with. The two double-bed room ($60) was modest, but it was clean and the beds were comfortable and the linens fresh. The décor was rustic with knotty pine boards. Newer windows made it easy to open to get a breeze, although the bugs were so bad at night we kept the windows shut and both the ceiling fan and a box fan going all night to cool things off. The bathroom was a decent size, however the knob on the shower was tricky to use. No free continental breakfast here but Larry had coffee and cookies in the office in the morning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Franklin, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I made the reservation for one night with hesitation. I couldn't get a rate at the other hotels in town to fit my work budget so I was worried having to stay at a "motel". When I arrived Larry greeted me and gave me a room. it was small, outdated, and clean. Larry was incredibly friendly and helpful directing me to a place to eat and some sights to see. Bed was average, but I slept well. It is located in a quiet residential area. There was wireless internet and cable tv. I'd stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MunisingTerrace, Owner at Terrace Motel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
I understand that, like any place, the Terrace will not appeal to everyone. Obviously it did not to this reviewer. I respect his right not to like the Terrace. But I take exception to his saying that "rewarding" or "pretending" must be taking place. All of the reviews written of the Terrace have been by the reviewer's own free will. Each review reflects the reviewer's true feelings about and experience of the Terrace. As one can with any review posted on Trip Advisor, simply contact any reviewer to see.
Midland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Terrace is a very reasonably priced motel in Munising that is an excellent choice if you are in the area to visit Pictured Rocks or any of the other sights around Munising.

As other reviews have noted, it is hard to talk about the Terrace without mentioning its owner, Larry. When my wife and I arrived, we learned that we had been booked into one of the largest rooms on the end of the motel, which had two bedrooms and lots of beds (two twins in the second bedroom, a sleeper sofa and a queen in the main area). It would be a great room for a traveling family, but seeing that there were only the two of us, Larry gave it to us for a lower rate (we didn't even ask for it!). Larry took some time at check in to find out what we were planning to do in the area and then point out various local attractions. He pointed us to some very nice but lesser known (and not as clearly marked) waterfalls, told us about what was available in terms of local eating establishments, and gave us some pointers about our upcoming tour of Pictured Rocks so that we would have an opportunity to get the best photographs and best seating on the boat.

The Terrace is an excellent value. Our room was clean and comfortable, and for the price, it is hard to rate it as less than very good (for its price point). Obviously, at $50 to $60 a night, one shouldn't be expecting that they are staying at the Ritz Carlton, so while I can agree with the comments about the Terrace being a bit aged, I think that fact is appropriately reflected in the price. If you are in Munising to do things other than stay in a motel room, then the Terrace provides a great and inexpensive place to crash after a long day of hiking, cruising, or whatever else, and you the fact that the rooms might feel a little aged or might not have the latest in HD TVs will, at the end of the day, be largely irrelevant. As the motel's website states, "Our rates leave more money in your pocket than a number of other lodging options in the area, money to spend on all there is to see and do here… which is, after all, why you are coming in the first place!"

I plan to be back in the Munising area soon and I definitely plan to return to the Terrace.

Gladstone, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Terrace is affordable and centrally located in Munising, and a no-brainer alternative to the chain hotels outside of town. My husband and I stayed in room 10, a room with a separate bedroom that would be great for a family with kids. The bed was comfy and the room was very clean. Small bathroom with a tiny shower stall, but plenty of hot water and pressure so no problem. I was there with a larger group, so we all got together in the common kitchen/rec room for dinner and drinks one evening, which was great to be able to do without having to go out. My only complaint was that the floor of our room was very cold, so I had to crank the heat to keep the room comfortable (it has a very effective heater, so again, this was no deal-breaker). Give Larry a call and support a local business as well as getting a great deal and a good night's sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Terrace Motel? Share your experiences!