“A gem of a guesthouse” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 39 Bhaktapur B&B and Inns
Coventry, United Kingdom
“A gem of a guesthouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We originally booked to stay for 3 nights but stayed for 7! The family are all really friendly and approachable.

They have a baby girl, young boy and a dog so it can get a bit noisy sometimes. This however was a small price to pay for the best guesthouse in Nepal.

We stayed through Tihar festival and the owner put on a party for Newari New Year. We made our own mandalas from coloured sand, had a really beautiful puja session and ate Nepali Thali until we were full to burst. Not to mention the unlimited Rakshi (home brew)!

The rooms at the back of the building (we stayed in 120) were a little quieter than the front as you get less noise from the street.

The WiFi was quick and the food was cheap and delicious. The restaurant area was great for meeting lots of fellow travellers.

• Stayed November 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I had a great stay at this guesthouse. I spent my last night in Nepal here and really needed a peaceful escape on a small budget and Ganesh Guest House delivered! The location is fantastic, within walking distance to all the sights. There is a great view from the balcony. I had a room with a small bed and bathroom. The facilities were simple but clean and they served great food in the kitchen/common area upstairs. The wifi was fast and pretty reliable, given that it was Nepal!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Fuquay-Varina, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Originally I was going to stay in Bhaktapur only 1 or 2 days. Because of my great experience at Ganesh Guest House I ended up staying 5 days! I wanted to spend as little as possible, so Ganesh Guest House fit the bill (about $5 US/night). The room was just what I needed - a big fairly comfortable bed (NOT the half size mattress things you find throughout Nepal), my own bathroom (yes small, but it has a removable shower head and things were pretty clean), and the owner is super super nice. Not only is he a personable guy, he took me around Bhaktapur to show me the sites. He also arranged for a traditional Newari dinner for me. On my last night there was live traditional Nepali music - the kind of thing that is so magical, informal, and amazing!! The guests there are really nice - a mix of hippie/artist and Euro/Aussie backpackers. If you are a solo/female traveler you will feel comfortable and like part of the family - they have a baby girl, an older boy, and a dog :) The only thing I wish would change is the amount of smoking, so if you are physically or mentally bothered by smokers it may be a problem. By the way, this place is in such a good location - not super quiet, but centrally located to all the sites in Bhaktapur. You cannot get lost in this place...all roads lead you back to a square and from there the guest house :) The Kutumba Lounge outside the main gate is a good place to get some vegetarian Newari food (not too many other places because everyone Newari eats it at home!). Even though the owner will let you check your email on his computer, if you are out and about and want to check, The Surfer's Edge is the best cyber cafe in my opinion. Overall a great laid back stay in Bhaktapur - cleaner and smaller/less crazy compared to Kathmandu ;)

Room Tip: I stayed in room 120 (I think) at the bottom of the stairs. It has its own bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was disappointed with this guest house after it promised so much. After I booked my bed in the dorm, I was was told on my arrival that there were no beds available and I had to take another room for double the price.

I later found out from another guest that there were other beds available in the dorm.

Location is good.
Food is ok
Staff and owners are friendly.

Dorm room is 200 rupees per night.
Normal room is 400 rupees per night. The bathroom does not really have enough room for a shower so be ready for a tight squeeze.

Situated between the main Durbur Square and the Peacock Window, it is ideally placed.

Telephone number: 01 6611550

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back as they are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Oxford, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We visited this guesthouse in October 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it. We chose it as it was a budget option, and were not disappointed at all. The owners were really friendly and made us feel at home. When I told the owner I was a school teacher, he put me in touch with a local kindergarten for a visit which was brilliant. They have a good restaurant and a great view of the goings on in the market square. I would definitely recommend this place!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Nice little hotel in a good spot. We stayed in a room with 3 beds and a bathroom that was 600R. Twin rooms without bathroom would have been 400R/ night. You can negotiate with the owner about the price if you're planning to stay longer. They seem to be flexible. They also provide the guests with drinking water. You can fill your bottle for free in the restaurant upstairs. Food is also cheap and tasty and there are good options on the menu for 90-150R! They also serve awesome local Juju dhau -yoghurt. The place is owned by a nice local family.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

First of all the staff/family is very friendly and seem to have great joy out of helping the budget traveler. I think they are also one of the few who offer dorms. I stayed in a basic double room with warm shower. The place is in the centre of Bhaktarpur so it can be a little bit noisy. For only 500 NR this was a real bargain and I would definitely come back if I ever go back to Bhaktarpur. At night the manager played a movie, made banana dessert and shared some locale booze. I hade a good time.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Ganesh Guest House? Share your experiences!