“It serves it's purpose in a spiritual location ..” 3 of 5 stars

The Royal Residency
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Domuhan Road, Bodh Gaya 824231, India   |
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Bodh Gaya
London, United Kingdom
“It serves it's purpose in a spiritual location ..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

During my stay in Bodhgaya I spent two nights at this hotel. It has a large lobby area and gives you the feeling of going back in time. It is probably one of the best hotels in Bodhgaya. We had a suite which was big (with three toilets) but the furniture is dated. However, the beds were superb and comfortable. Our rooms were extremely clean. A minor negative for me were the plugs - the rooms have two pin plugs but even my two pin plugs couldn't fit properly. The reception had one adaptor but most of the plugs couldn't be used, however, the helpful receptionist recharged my phones for me.
The food is extremely good but the service is slow. I noticed that some groups were ordering well in advance. When the food arrives it is ample - huge sized portions. You can take the left overs out in boxes. Bodhgaya is a very special place and the Royal Residency hotel provides all the amenities to make a stay comfortable in this spiritual location.
I wouldn't describe this hotel as luxury but it's clean, comfortable and serves its purpose.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Patna, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Located in the Land of "Bhagwan Buddha", the Royal Residency is situated in the heart of the city of Bodhgaya.

All Tourist attractions in Bodhgaya such as Mahabodhi, Japanese Temple etc. are at waking distance.

The food & hospitality will speak for itself.

Really enjoyed my 4 day stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

During my stay in Bodhgaya I spent two nights at this hotel. It has a large lobby area and gives you the feeling of going back in time. It is probably the best hotel in Bodhgaya. We had a suite which was big (with three toilets) but the furniture is old fashioned. However, the beds were superb and comfortable. Our rooms were extremely clean. A minor negative for me were the plugs - the rooms have two pin plugs but even my two pin plugs couldn't fit properly. The reception had one adaptor but most of the plugs couldn't be used, however, the kind receptionist recharged my phones for me.
The food is extremely good but the service is slow. I noticed that some groups were ordering well in advance. When the food arrives it is ample - huge sized portions. You can take the left overs out in boxes. Bodhgaya is a very special place and the Regency hotel provides all the amenities to make a stay comfortable in this spiritual location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Decent hotels in this part of India are hard to find. While I would have give an average rating if this hotel was any other city, given the other choices (or lack of them) in this area, I highly recommend this hotel. The rooms are very nice and unusually large. I did not care for the dining room, but the vegetarian food we had was quite nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed three nights at this hotel. My wife and I have been on a Buddha site self-tour and have been reviewing all the hotels we stayed at.

The hotel is clean, the staff service was average, the room was large. But the hotel had many problems during the three days that we stayed. One of the biggest problems was that they had a short circuit power outage and the whole second floor went out in the middle of the night. This meant no Aircon for us. Although the hotel staff offered to move us in the middle of the night, we were too exhausted to move so late and just wanted to sleep. The next morning we changed rooms but we seemed to have power problems in this room as well. I don't mean power outages that are typical in India, this had something to do with their electrical system.

Never the less, the hotel did work to try to solve the problems. Still, one expects a bit more when you pay 100USD a night.

The food was good and decent priced. Good value for money.

All and all and average stay for what you pay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed in suite room from 28th to 30th August 2012. It is a neat and clean hotel may be one of the best hotel in Bodhgaya. food was good and staff is very very coopeerative. Nice bathrooms with all bath room amenities.

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite room with one seating room and one bed room. the room size is big enough no nee...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here on a weekend trip to Bodh Gaya in Sept 2012. I've stayed dozens of nights at the Maurya Hotel in Patna, and this hotel beats the Maurya on so many levels. Very nice spacious rooms and helpful staff. Room service was not optimal, though-- and restaurant is not recommended (few to recommend in the entire town....). The bed and room area were clean and well maintained. Nice bathroom. I'd stay here again anytime!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Residency? Share your experiences!