“Pro's & Con's” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Taylor
“Pro's & Con's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We just returned from a girls get away with a one night stay at Soaring Eagle.This was my 2nd visit and I would return again.

Pro's -
The hotel and casino are spotless. They receive my highest rating for cleanliness.

Great place for Seniors. I took my mom and she was in a wheel chair and using oxygen. We didn't have any problems navigating throughout the hotel, casino, restaurants or restrooms.

There is a free shuttle that takes you to the smaller casino and bingo hall just across the street. We didn't wait any longer than 5 minutes for a ride.

The Tuesday buffet was buy one get one. Lunch cost $17.95 for one and was decent.I would have been disappointed if we paid full price but the special worked good for us. Legends was good and inexpensive.

The grounds, pools, jacuzzi and lobby were all real nice, clean and comfortable.

Security was visible throughout the entire stay and the staff was helpful and friendly.

Con's
Not enough blackjack tables open and they were allowing people to play 2 & 3 hands for hours. We couldn't get on a table. Disappointing.

The drink servers could't be found in the casino.

The handicap room couldn't fit a wheel chair and smelled too bad from smoke. We requested a different room and they moved us without question.Do not accept a smoking room unless you plan to smoke.

Room Tip: I would not stay in the section of the hotel that is close to the casino floor. The section of the h...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Patti S-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. We appreciate your kind comments about the cleanliness of the resort. Our housekeeping team, on both sides, work diligently to maintain high standards of maintaining our property. It is also nice to hear that your interactions with our staff were friendly and helpful. Again, we strive to provide high levels of guest service and attention to detail. Regarding your feelings on the smoke, I completely agree as I am a non-smoker and I cannot stand even the slightest smell of smoke in a hotel room. Our Engineering team is working on the replacing of filters and freshening up of the Resort, so your comments are definitely not going unnoticed.

On behalf of the entire Soaring Eagle team, thanks again for taking the time to review our property. We are always appreciative of all comments, both good and bad. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with any future reservations.

bporterfield@sagchip.org

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Kirtland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Visited Soaring Eagle Resort and Casino July 8-10 on a group bus trip from Ohio. We had a wonderful time -- the buffet, diner, bars, and Isabella's Restaurant were exceptional. Our room was perfect. The resort and casino are well-managed and it shows. The outside areas are great also--lounging area on sundecks, fountains, umbrella tables, just beautiful whether you're just resting, reading, or partying! Everyone we encountered in the hotel, casino, and restaurants was extremely pleasant and accommodating. The hallways and common areas are very clean, personnel vacuuming every day to keep it that way. In the evening we sat around the fire pit outside on the patio area and watched the full moon over the fountains spouting colored lights. The casino has tons of slot games and table games, something for everyone. We stayed in the casino each night until well after midnight and came out ahead! This was one fun and memorable trip--can't wait to return to Soaring Eagle.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Kirtlandvisitor-

Thanks for your pleasant comments about your recent stay at our property. It was a pleasure to speak with you over the phone earlier this week. We very much look forward to your arrival back to Soaring Eagle at the end of the month! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance prior to your arrival.

Coleman, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We have stayed here several times on my husband's Veteran's "Heroes" Card. Each time the room was great. They are very clean, nicely stocked with shampoos, soap, etc. along with tea and a coffee maker. The buffet has a lot of great food but is a little expensive, and the Legends Restaurant has a very good breakfast at good prices. Right now a good day to go is Tuesdays, when you have buy one get one buffet free! All of the staff is very nice and helpful, but we've never had a problem that needed to be handled. I really love the beautiful fresh flowers all through the hotel lobby! The outside campfire, the fireplace and the pond with the fountains and colored lights are another nice touch. We already have reservations made for next month!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Pamela M-

On behalf of the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, we want to thank you for taking the time out of your day to rate and review our property here on Trip Advisor. We are quite happy that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Resort. It is nice to hear about your comments related to everything from the clean, nicely stocked rooms to your comments about our hotel lobby. We strive to maintain high levels of attention to detail and cleanliness, so it is nice to hear that you pay attention to such things as much as we do. Your comments about our buffet and Isabella's are quite kind, so I will be sure to pass on those comments to our Food and Beverage team. Lastly, I want to extend our thanks for your service in our Armed Service and taking us up on the Hero Card offer. We are very proud of this program and will continue to look for more ways to make this program a valuable part of the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort.

I know that you have already made your next reservation for next month, but please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will gladly assist you in the future if you have any issues along the way. Thanks again for your time in writing a review on our property. We very much look forward to taking care of you the next time you stay with us at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort.

Fenton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We requested a non-smoking room but none were available which we said was ok. They said they would have an air filter running (which they did) and I could not tell or smell smoke in the room but I could smell it in the hallway. It was fine, even though we were just there to sleep after making a nice donation to the casino! The room was very nice and the bathroom very very clean with all the goodies on the vaniety. We even had a fireplace. The hotel staff are very proffesional, helpful and courteous. They are several places to eat including a buffet, a pool, spa, and game room for kids all under one roof. Smoking is permitted but it is not a haze of smoke that even a non-smoker could handle. This makes for a nice escape.

Room Tip: check internet first for any specials
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 2seniors2travel-

On behalf of the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, we want to thank you for taking the time to rate and review our property on Trip Advisor. We are quite happy that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Resort. Our engineering team will very much appreciate your comments about how the smoking room did not have an overpowering smoke odor in it. We are always working diligently on correcting that problem as we know non-smokers sometimes have to check into smoking rooms. Also, I am personally delighted to hear that your encounters with our staff were very professional and courteous. Being the Guest Service Training Manager, my goal is always to assist the team in making sure our guests are taken care which it sounds like that was the case this time for you.

If you happen to make it back to the Soaring Eagle, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will gladly assist you with making your reservation or answering any questions that you might have. Thanks again for your time in writing a review on our property. Our staff is looking forward to taking care of you the next time you stay with us at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort.

Jackson, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Attended a concert here and had a great experience. Tickets were VERY reasonable priced for reserved seating and were very good seats. Drinks were reasonable priced and I didnt have to pay for parking as you do at many other concert venues. Luckily the weather was perfect for an outdoor concert as well. I would definitely attend a concert here again. My guests and I had a wonderful experience

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Shonnie R-

Thank you for taking the time to review our Outdoor Concert venue. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your concert experience while at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. It is our goal to deliver top notch entertainment of all genres, while maintaining proper service for our guests. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our event staff. We look forward to having you at a future show.

Houghton Lake, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

When we first walked into the hotel and even the room I was extremely impressed and thought it would be a perfect place to stay. We has our two small children (3 and 1) with us and opted to stay here versus the Waterpark hotel because we had smaller children. The room and the overall hotel were amazing. Best we have ever stayed. I was extremely disappointed with the pool area. Children and adults were constantly diving in the pool (the 5ft and 3ft sections) and splashing all around at myself and my children. Scared both of my boys so much they refused to go in the pool and we had only been there for 5 minutes. We tried going to the pool 6 other times after that in our one night stay and the same problem every time. The water temperature of the pool was cold also. Even with the hot weather outside the pool felt like it was an icy pond. The hot tub felt like luke warm water. If you do go into the pool watch out for the stairs. The last step blends in with bottom of the pool my children and I slipped on it every time we tried to go in. It is easier to sit on the edge of the pool and get in that way. With the four to five employees standing outside the spa/pool entry way you would think at least one of them would occasionally check on the pool area and see all the chaos in there. I did mention it to them a couple different time but only once did someone seem to think it was important enough to break away from their gossip session. We were hoping by staying here vs the waterpark we would avoid all the splashing and immaturity in the pool for our younger ones. Guess when it is just my husband and I we can stay there and find another hotel for when we are with our children. On a side note the kids had a blast in the Kids Quest and Cyber Quest. Great staff in the Kids Quest. Very attentive with the boys. Cyber Quest staff was okay and half of the machines were out if service but our boys liked playing in there too

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are the quieter when you have children.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear G_Osmom2014-

On behalf of the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, I would like to extend my thanks for you taking the time to write a review on our property. I want to apologize for some of the service failures that occurred during your stay. Since you took that time to write the review, I feel it is only fair for me to take the time out of my day to talk about your experience first hand rather than write a response to you. I encourage you to reach out to me directly at the phone number listed below or you can email me so that we can arrange a time to discuss these service and property shortcomings. It is only fair that we discuss all of your concerns as this is a great way for us to improve ourselves moving forward. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Midland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Soaring Eagle for an 80's murder mystery dinner in May celebrating our anniversary. We booked a Superior Room since we had an amazing experience the first time around. This time was not so great.
Upon arriving the front desk agent, was very sweet and professional. We were located on the 3rd floor and took the elevator to our room. We passed some housekeeping staff that seemed more annoyed with us walking in the hallway than welcoming. The room seemed a bit smaller on the 3rd floor than the first floor room we previously had. The room was very clean, however did have major visible wear and tear I wouldn't expect a resort of this size to allow. The brass on the sick faucet and towel rack had been worn to the bone and was green. Not very attractive, especially when you are paying for an upgraded room. The ceiling above the tub had once leaked and they just never got around to painting over the giant stain. Again not very attractive. The shower head in the antique pedestal tub, still leaked, even though the hospitality training manager, assured me they were being repaired when he responded to my first review of Soaring Eagle in January. Anyways, the overall ambiance of the room was less than magical for our anniversary celebration.

Lets to get the rest of the experience. After checking in to our room and getting settled, we decided to go and gamble a bit before the murder mystery dinner started. We walked past the banquet room where it was being held and noticed the sign stated doors opened at 7pm, even though our tickets actually said 8pm, so I am glad we were their early. We were puzzled about this and wanted to make sure we didn't have to be in there before 8pm, and decided to go back to ask someone. The check-in line at the front desk was long and I decided the concierge's desk may be faster way to get some answers. There were 2 gentlemen at the concierge's desk, both on the phone. One gentlemen was wearing a suit and another in a baseball cap and what appeared to be sports clothes of some sort. I stood there waiting, assuming they would only be a minute. A few minutes later, no one even acknowledged I was standing there. Really it only takes a minute to look up from your screen and at least smile! Another couple more minutes went by, at this point the gentlemen in the suit had made eye contact and yet to smile. A few more minutes went by and the gentlemen in the casual wear ended his phone call and left, didn't even acknowledge I was there. Really, I am spending a crap load of money with you tonight and you can't even tell me someone will be with me in a minute? Finally, the gentlemen got off the phone and I asked him about the time on the sign verses our tickets. Not even a smile, just told me that is when the doors opened. I said thank you, and he didn't pretend to care. Soaring Eagle pays decent wage to its employees and you work at the concierge's desk, which the main objective of your job is to help people. You should be good with working with the public!!!!! I have been in the hospitality industries for 14 years and have NEVER came across a rude concierge. Just horrible.

We left the concierge's desk, complaining about the gentlemen the whole walk to the casino floor. We played some games on the casino floor, the staff we encountered were friendly. We needed change for the cash bar for dinner and the staff member I asked was more than willing to help me out, and had a great attitude! We went and got our seats for the dinner and noticed the tortellini salad was just sitting out on the table, and it was on the table when the doors opened at 7pm until dinner started at 8pm, not very appetizing. Ironically, it was the best part of the meal. The cash bar was open, which was nice. I called the week before and was told that drink service was only available during dinner. The murder mystery portion of the dinner was outstanding! They did a great job and you were able to get as involved as you wanted. A lot of fun! The food and service was not so great. Let me correct myself and say the ladies at the bar were friendly. The servers just seemed overwhelmed. For example, a lot of people didn't arrive until 8pm, since that is what the tickets said, and by that point we had already had 2 of the 4 course meal. (Tacky I know!) There were people at the table that never got their 1 course and I had to explain this to the server. Very unorganized. Also, if you were not drinking alcohol, good luck getting a beverage. We hardly saw the server, and he never asked us if we wanted refills, he never even took beverage orders from half of our table. The food was also mediocre. The lady who sat next to me wouldn't even eat her main course because she said it was inedible. Dessert was a blueberry gelatin that was similar to something you would get in a school cafeteria. Not just my thought, the WHOLE table hardly touched it. There was as much talk about that dessert at our table as there was about the murder mystery dinner. After the show was over, we went back to the casino. We ordered drinks first thing, actually ordering the same thing we had been drinking all night with dinner and noticed it was $1.00 less PER DRINK than it was at dinner. That's crazy! We gambled for a while and then were starving, since dinner was less than par, and decided to grab a bite at Legends Diner. We ordered a few sodas and appetizers. The food was really good, but the smoke smell was worst in the diner than on the casino floor. It gave me a migraine, and caused for a short dining experience. We also noticed our server had many tables, but he rocked! He was right on top of everything and was working up a sweat doing it.

Upon check-out I made a list of items that may need attention in the room and included it with my keys during check-out. I am interested to see if any of it has been attended to. In addition to the items listed that shown worn, the batteries need to be changed in the remote, and the shower drain did not drain fast enough for the dual shower heads. Those are minor but thought worth mentioning.
After spending more money than we should have, we decided it was time to take a break from the Soaring Eagle. We made our couple night out plans at other various resorts in Michigan. Maybe retry Soaring Eagle in another year.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Amy B-

We, again, appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed review of the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. I want to apologize for the inconsistencies of your stay this time around. Since you took that time to write the review, I feel it is only fair for me to take the time out of my day to talk about your experience first hand rather than write a response to you. Therefore, I encourage you to reach out to me directly at the phone number listed below or you can email me so that we can arrange a time to discuss these service and property shortcomings. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

bporterfield@sagchip.org

Been to Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!