“Break Away & Enjoy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Fenton, Michigan
“Break Away & Enjoy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We requested a non-smoking room but none were available which we said was ok. They said they would have an air filter running (which they did) and I could not tell or smell smoke in the room but I could smell it in the hallway. It was fine, even though we were just there to sleep after making a nice donation to the casino! The room was very nice and the bathroom very very clean with all the goodies on the vaniety. We even had a fireplace. The hotel staff are very proffesional, helpful and courteous. They are several places to eat including a buffet, a pool, spa, and game room for kids all under one roof. Smoking is permitted but it is not a haze of smoke that even a non-smoker could handle. This makes for a nice escape.

Room Tip: check internet first for any specials
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear 2seniors2travel-

On behalf of the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, we want to thank you for taking the time to rate and review our property on Trip Advisor. We are quite happy that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Resort. Our engineering team will very much appreciate your comments about how the smoking room did not have an overpowering smoke odor in it. We are always working diligently on correcting that problem as we know non-smokers sometimes have to check into smoking rooms. Also, I am personally delighted to hear that your encounters with our staff were very professional and courteous. Being the Guest Service Training Manager, my goal is always to assist the team in making sure our guests are taken care which it sounds like that was the case this time for you.

If you happen to make it back to the Soaring Eagle, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will gladly assist you with making your reservation or answering any questions that you might have. Thanks again for your time in writing a review on our property. Our staff is looking forward to taking care of you the next time you stay with us at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort.

bporterfield@sagchip.org

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Jackson, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Attended a concert here and had a great experience. Tickets were VERY reasonable priced for reserved seating and were very good seats. Drinks were reasonable priced and I didnt have to pay for parking as you do at many other concert venues. Luckily the weather was perfect for an outdoor concert as well. I would definitely attend a concert here again. My guests and I had a wonderful experience

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Shonnie R-

Thank you for taking the time to review our Outdoor Concert venue. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your concert experience while at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. It is our goal to deliver top notch entertainment of all genres, while maintaining proper service for our guests. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our event staff. We look forward to having you at a future show.

Houghton Lake, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

When we first walked into the hotel and even the room I was extremely impressed and thought it would be a perfect place to stay. We has our two small children (3 and 1) with us and opted to stay here versus the Waterpark hotel because we had smaller children. The room and the overall hotel were amazing. Best we have ever stayed. I was extremely disappointed with the pool area. Children and adults were constantly diving in the pool (the 5ft and 3ft sections) and splashing all around at myself and my children. Scared both of my boys so much they refused to go in the pool and we had only been there for 5 minutes. We tried going to the pool 6 other times after that in our one night stay and the same problem every time. The water temperature of the pool was cold also. Even with the hot weather outside the pool felt like it was an icy pond. The hot tub felt like luke warm water. If you do go into the pool watch out for the stairs. The last step blends in with bottom of the pool my children and I slipped on it every time we tried to go in. It is easier to sit on the edge of the pool and get in that way. With the four to five employees standing outside the spa/pool entry way you would think at least one of them would occasionally check on the pool area and see all the chaos in there. I did mention it to them a couple different time but only once did someone seem to think it was important enough to break away from their gossip session. We were hoping by staying here vs the waterpark we would avoid all the splashing and immaturity in the pool for our younger ones. Guess when it is just my husband and I we can stay there and find another hotel for when we are with our children. On a side note the kids had a blast in the Kids Quest and Cyber Quest. Great staff in the Kids Quest. Very attentive with the boys. Cyber Quest staff was okay and half of the machines were out if service but our boys liked playing in there too

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are the quieter when you have children.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear G_Osmom2014-

On behalf of the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, I would like to extend my thanks for you taking the time to write a review on our property. I want to apologize for some of the service failures that occurred during your stay. Since you took that time to write the review, I feel it is only fair for me to take the time out of my day to talk about your experience first hand rather than write a response to you. I encourage you to reach out to me directly at the phone number listed below or you can email me so that we can arrange a time to discuss these service and property shortcomings. It is only fair that we discuss all of your concerns as this is a great way for us to improve ourselves moving forward. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Midland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Soaring Eagle for an 80's murder mystery dinner in May celebrating our anniversary. We booked a Superior Room since we had an amazing experience the first time around. This time was not so great.
Upon arriving the front desk agent, was very sweet and professional. We were located on the 3rd floor and took the elevator to our room. We passed some housekeeping staff that seemed more annoyed with us walking in the hallway than welcoming. The room seemed a bit smaller on the 3rd floor than the first floor room we previously had. The room was very clean, however did have major visible wear and tear I wouldn't expect a resort of this size to allow. The brass on the sick faucet and towel rack had been worn to the bone and was green. Not very attractive, especially when you are paying for an upgraded room. The ceiling above the tub had once leaked and they just never got around to painting over the giant stain. Again not very attractive. The shower head in the antique pedestal tub, still leaked, even though the hospitality training manager, assured me they were being repaired when he responded to my first review of Soaring Eagle in January. Anyways, the overall ambiance of the room was less than magical for our anniversary celebration.

Lets to get the rest of the experience. After checking in to our room and getting settled, we decided to go and gamble a bit before the murder mystery dinner started. We walked past the banquet room where it was being held and noticed the sign stated doors opened at 7pm, even though our tickets actually said 8pm, so I am glad we were their early. We were puzzled about this and wanted to make sure we didn't have to be in there before 8pm, and decided to go back to ask someone. The check-in line at the front desk was long and I decided the concierge's desk may be faster way to get some answers. There were 2 gentlemen at the concierge's desk, both on the phone. One gentlemen was wearing a suit and another in a baseball cap and what appeared to be sports clothes of some sort. I stood there waiting, assuming they would only be a minute. A few minutes later, no one even acknowledged I was standing there. Really it only takes a minute to look up from your screen and at least smile! Another couple more minutes went by, at this point the gentlemen in the suit had made eye contact and yet to smile. A few more minutes went by and the gentlemen in the casual wear ended his phone call and left, didn't even acknowledge I was there. Really, I am spending a crap load of money with you tonight and you can't even tell me someone will be with me in a minute? Finally, the gentlemen got off the phone and I asked him about the time on the sign verses our tickets. Not even a smile, just told me that is when the doors opened. I said thank you, and he didn't pretend to care. Soaring Eagle pays decent wage to its employees and you work at the concierge's desk, which the main objective of your job is to help people. You should be good with working with the public!!!!! I have been in the hospitality industries for 14 years and have NEVER came across a rude concierge. Just horrible.

We left the concierge's desk, complaining about the gentlemen the whole walk to the casino floor. We played some games on the casino floor, the staff we encountered were friendly. We needed change for the cash bar for dinner and the staff member I asked was more than willing to help me out, and had a great attitude! We went and got our seats for the dinner and noticed the tortellini salad was just sitting out on the table, and it was on the table when the doors opened at 7pm until dinner started at 8pm, not very appetizing. Ironically, it was the best part of the meal. The cash bar was open, which was nice. I called the week before and was told that drink service was only available during dinner. The murder mystery portion of the dinner was outstanding! They did a great job and you were able to get as involved as you wanted. A lot of fun! The food and service was not so great. Let me correct myself and say the ladies at the bar were friendly. The servers just seemed overwhelmed. For example, a lot of people didn't arrive until 8pm, since that is what the tickets said, and by that point we had already had 2 of the 4 course meal. (Tacky I know!) There were people at the table that never got their 1 course and I had to explain this to the server. Very unorganized. Also, if you were not drinking alcohol, good luck getting a beverage. We hardly saw the server, and he never asked us if we wanted refills, he never even took beverage orders from half of our table. The food was also mediocre. The lady who sat next to me wouldn't even eat her main course because she said it was inedible. Dessert was a blueberry gelatin that was similar to something you would get in a school cafeteria. Not just my thought, the WHOLE table hardly touched it. There was as much talk about that dessert at our table as there was about the murder mystery dinner. After the show was over, we went back to the casino. We ordered drinks first thing, actually ordering the same thing we had been drinking all night with dinner and noticed it was $1.00 less PER DRINK than it was at dinner. That's crazy! We gambled for a while and then were starving, since dinner was less than par, and decided to grab a bite at Legends Diner. We ordered a few sodas and appetizers. The food was really good, but the smoke smell was worst in the diner than on the casino floor. It gave me a migraine, and caused for a short dining experience. We also noticed our server had many tables, but he rocked! He was right on top of everything and was working up a sweat doing it.

Upon check-out I made a list of items that may need attention in the room and included it with my keys during check-out. I am interested to see if any of it has been attended to. In addition to the items listed that shown worn, the batteries need to be changed in the remote, and the shower drain did not drain fast enough for the dual shower heads. Those are minor but thought worth mentioning.
After spending more money than we should have, we decided it was time to take a break from the Soaring Eagle. We made our couple night out plans at other various resorts in Michigan. Maybe retry Soaring Eagle in another year.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Amy B-

We, again, appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed review of the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. I want to apologize for the inconsistencies of your stay this time around. Since you took that time to write the review, I feel it is only fair for me to take the time out of my day to talk about your experience first hand rather than write a response to you. Therefore, I encourage you to reach out to me directly at the phone number listed below or you can email me so that we can arrange a time to discuss these service and property shortcomings. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

CHIPPEWA FALLS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Great first class hotel and people treat you with respect. Nothing is wrong with the way they do things, all first class. Only problem is my wife and are are non smokers and there is a lot of smoke there.

Dear Golfer 48732-

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review our property and provide us with some feedback related to our resort. It is very refreshing to hear that people treated you with respect while here and that you found everything to be of first class caliber. Being a Four Diamond Resort, that is obviously our goal. Regarding the smoke, this is a common complaint that we deal with nearly every day and it is something that we continue to work on to ensure total guest satisfaction. Our Engineering team is working diligently to alleviate this concern with the replacement of filters and purchase of improved ventilation.

Clinton Township, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We love his hotel and think it is very classy. Unfortunately, the hotel rate is not cheap, unless you qualify for reduced or comped rates, based on casino play. Rooms are beautiful and nice. Staff very friendly. We love the pool and hot tubs. We sat in the patio area and enjoyed the smell of petunias while gazing at the fountains; also had a fire pit. This time, we ate at the buffet, and thinking that the dinner menu would be better than the lunch menu, found it to be quite lacking. The lunch menu seemed to have more on it. We had breakfast at Legends Restaurant and was good and reasonably priced. Drinks in the casino seemed to be reasonably priced. They have a nice selection of slot machines and tables. They always need more $5 blackjack tables with hand shuffling, but overall, a good selection. Something we found out recently is that if you are a veteran, you can obtain a "hero" player's card with additional benefits. Highly recommend checking it out.

Dear Marn77-

On behalf of the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, we want to thank you for taking the time to rate and review our property on Trip Advisor. We are quite happy that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Resort. It is nice to hear about your comments related to everything from your interactions with our staff to your choice to sit around our fire pit. We strive to maintain high levels of attention to detail and cleanliness, so it is nice to hear you thought the same. I will also be sure to pass along your comments, both good and bad, to our Food and Beverage Team as they are always looking for ways to better enhance the guest experience as well as food offerings at all resort restaurants. Lastly, I want to extend our thanks for your service in our Armed Service and taking us up on the Hero Card offer. We are very proud of this program and will continue to build on it moving forward.

If you happen to make it back to the Soaring Eagle, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will gladly assist you with making your arrangements. Thanks again for your time in writing a review on our property. We very much look forward to taking care of you the next time you stay with us at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband booked this thinking it was the best hotel for an overnight business stay. I can only describe it as an Atlantis/cruise-line type of resort with wal-mart clientele. I am not a native Michigander - I am a born & raised native Washingtonian so maybe I am completely biased. I did get a good chuckle walking in - there is barely anyone under the age of 75 and without a walker. The food is subpar in Isabella's and the entire resort is completely enveloped in smoke - even the non smoking areas. I would have opted for the Marriott or Hampton inn.

• Stayed June 2014
SEProperties, Guest Relations Manager at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Rose N-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. On behalf of the resort, I apologize that it sounds like you did not enjoy your stay while you were here. It's definitely not a good thing to hear that you found the food at Isabella's to subpar. We strive for consistently good food, so I will be sure to share your comments with the management team over there. Regarding your feelings on the smoke, I completely agree as I am a non-smoker and I cannot stand having to walk through smoke to get to where I want to go. Our Engineering team is working on the replacing of filters and freshening up of the Resort, so your comments are definitely not going unnoticed.

Despite your feelings, I would like to personally extend an invitation for you to come back and give our property another chance. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will personally handle your reservation to ensure you are completely satisfied. I would also like to hear more about your experience, so I encourage you to reach out to me at my contact information which is listed below. On behalf of the Casino and Resort, I again extend my apologies to you. I look forward to hearing from you soon so that we can make up for this stay and move forward to take care of you during your next visit to Mt. Pleasant.

bporterfield@sagchip.org

Been to Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!