“No Noise” 3 of 5 stars

5665 East Pickard Road, Mount Pleasant, MI 48858   |
Jonesville, Michigan
“No Noise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Soaring Eagle Casino Hotel was sold out, so we were recommended to stay at the Waterpark Hotel. We had no intention of using the water park, but the price was right, so we took it. Upon arrival, I was wary of all the kids running up and down the halls. I was in fear of being kept up all night as we were a couple sleeping in a family hotel. To my surprise, our room was very well insulated, as we heard no activity from adjoining rooms or the hallway. The free internet connection was awful. We couldn't view a 1 minute youtube video in 10 minutes. I woke up sore--gonna blame it on the mattress--a firmness my body did not like. The hot water never got more than warm. I guess I understand this, because the hotel gets a lot of kids and they need to protect themselves from children who are taught that 'hot' water means that the temperature is really just 'warm' (for safety reasons). The staff was nice and the room was clean and modern. Next time, I will book earlier and stay at the Casino Hotel where I have been happier.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
SE Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I coach a girl's seventh grade basketball team, the Red Hots, and we recently had a two day tournament in Mt. Pleasant. We found the best deal for a hotel at the Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel. I am a huge fan of reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, so I immediately took the web to read about this hotel. I have to admit I was somewhat nervous as the reviews were not the best and many of the reviews were geared toward the negativity of the employees. Yet the price was great and for a group of seventh grade girls and their families, this seemed like the place to stay.

We booked our group through Ann Jeanette in group sales. This lady was AMAZING to deal with. I am very anal and I usually call hotels that we book with about 100x a day (well not quite that many). Ann Jeanette was always a pleasure to deal with, always had a great attitude despite me calling her every five minutes and was just a great person to work with.

Upon checking in, we were able to get our room at 8:00 am on the day of check in. This was only because our room happened to be available. The ladies at check in could not have been any friendlier. They were smiling, talked to my girls about basketball and really made us feel welcome.

Heading into our room, I was so pleased as to the cleanliness of the room. The decor was up to date, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was spotless....I don't think it could have been nicer. We had a mini fridge in the room and all that we needed for the weekend stay.

On Saturday night, we ordered pizza from the restaurant. Now normally, I don't like to order pizza from hotel restaurants as I feel its cardboard like and overpriced. Well on this night, the pizzas were buy one, get one half off, so we did order from there. Wow, the pizza was fantastic, some of the best pizza I have ever had. The crust was huge, the cheese was overflowing, great taste and all for a very good price.

As for the waterpark itself, it was great. The girls and our families loved it. The lifeguards were helpful and not grumpy at all. They were attentive to the guests and smiling. They seemed like they really liked their jobs.

The next day, after checkout, we were allowed to stay (after our basketball tourney got over with) and use the water park. All in all, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO anyone and we will DEFINITELY BE GOING BACK AGAIN. We have been to nearly every indoor water park hotel in Michigan and Ohio and certainly Kalahari in Ohio might be bigger, but you also pay 10 times more. The Soaring Eagle Water park hotel gets an A+ from me and the Waterford Red Hots girls basketball team. And thanks to Ann Jeanette for helping us out, booking our group and providing a great experience for all of us.

Freeland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

At least yearly, my family will take a weekend vacation to a Michigan waterpark. We decided to visit this location because we had not visited, location to our home, and price was much cheaper than any of the other waterparks for the same time frame.

We are a family of five with three kids between 1 - 6 and rented a standard room. The hotel and our room were very nice. The room was spacious enough for a portable crib while allowing our one year old a place to crawl around and play without the rest of us tripping over each other. The portable crib was actually a crib and not a pack-n-play, which delighted us and made it easier for our little one to feel more at home. The rooms were very quiet and we didn't even hear hall way noise, which was surprising as the hotel was very busy during our stay. The beds were very comfortable.

The waterpark was nice, but very small! Our 6 year-old loved the water parking. He is 48" was able to go everywhere by himslef without a life jacket which he thought was great. The down side was that there was really no place our our crawling one year-old such a small kiddle pool like several other Michigan water parks have. Many times, we would let him play in the water at the end of the kiddie slide. Speaking of kiddie slide, when the "bucket" would dump it emptied right into the kiddie slides which many of the babies and toddlers did not seem to appreciate.

The arcade was very small and most games were $1.00 a try which seemed expensive for young kids. The restaurant made wonderful pizza but the service was slow. We were seated quickly, but the waitress seemed more interested in socializing with other employees versus waiting on the clients.

Overall, we had a good experience for the price. However, I wouldn't recommend it to those with small children (crawlers or early walkers) as there were limited opportunities for them to play and interact without being carried by mom or dad or older kids (13+) as I think they would easily tire of the wave rider, rock climbing wall, and two slides.

Room Tip: The South Side is closer to the waterpark.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Going to an indoor waterpark has become a family tradition so I have been to many. This time it was for my college graduation which made it interesting because when I started college (yes, there is a University in Mt. Pleasant) there was nothing out Pickard Road. After a long drive from Atlanta, Georgia, my daughter and I checked in with 14 minutes to go before the waterpark closed. She was in her suit before I could unpack and came back to report that she couldn't *wait* until it reopened. I went down with her the next day promptly at 9 and was pleased. The waterpark has the best features of our favorite waterparks, the rope-climb "islands", hot tub, dump bucket, lazy river, water slides, and flow rider. There was a pro-am flow rider competition going on that we thought would keep my daughter off of the ride (not me, I had no plans to do that craziness!) but even with it happening, they made it available to waterpark guests as well. It was fun to see what people who do this more often than us can do on it.

The hotel itself was fantastic. Our room was cleaned by the time we got back from the waterpark in the morning. One hint, push down on the bar sink plug to open it. We had to ask housekeeping after ours backed up. :/ The rooms are spacious, clean, and just right even for a graduate who is hanging her gown to remove wrinkles between trips to bikini-land. My mom would not pay the "outrageous" prices for the food at the hotel but she's in her 60's so... ("They want *$6.50* for a hamburger!" Yeah, that's kinda the going rate Mom.) If you want something more than poolside fare, like I said, Pickard has exploded in growth since I started school there:; you'll find Lone Star across the street along with other chains nearby. Ex-pat tip, Pisanellos on Main is fantastic for handmade pizza and they have a lunch buffet during the week. FAB! FAB! FAB! If you want delivery, Pixie's is the place to get it. They will also deliver burgers and stuff if some of your people don't want pizza. I'll stop short of telling you to check out The Cabin if you're looking for late-night fun on the college weekend, Thursday-Saturday. ;)

I will say that my mom had a difficult time with booking. She originally booked 3 rooms, paying for the first night of each and eventually we went down to the one room. Because of their system, they could not just combine the reservation and put the amount paid toward the balance due, they had to refund the 2 rooms to the credit card (which still has not shown up many weeks later). Mom did say Ann Janelle was wonderful in helping her work things out but bottom line, for me, is that there will be 2 refunds to the card that will be about the same as the one charge from the same place, and the only part of that which has taken place so far is the charging.

Last but certainly not least, having been a trained lifeguard, I know how difficult it is to guard at a waterpark. The staff are in-cred-i-ble. They rotate out on a regular basis, were always alert, and had a great communication system in place. I was very impressed. It may not seem like a big deal but when your little one doesn't get slammed into on the toddler slide because the guard took the time to stop the rambunctious 3-year-old who was about to go during your child's mid-slide, you'll be impressed too.

Midland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I wanted to provide some feedback of our stay on June 2-3rd 2012. We were celebrating our daughter’s 7th birthday by renting a couple rooms and a cabana. We are frequent visitors to indoor waterparks throughout Michigan, so we were very excited when we heard of one was opening in our area.

The hotel is very nice with its spacious rooms and modern style amenities.

Our group visited the waterpark on June 2nd last year. At first, everyone was having a good time. Our children were trying out all the waterpark attractions. This did not last when we quickly realized the array of ridiculous rules the waterpark had.

I would like to make clear, I am in support of rules to keep everyone safe. I do see on the waterpark’s website stating safety is the waterpark’s number one priority. However, this particular waterpark seemed to have an excessive amount of rules compared to the other waterparks we have visited. The excessive amount of rules made our experience and view of the waterpark and hotel not an enjoyable one.

Some things we witnessed during our stay. Our friend’s daughter (7 years old) was allowed to go down both large attractions with her parents various times. Then suddenly she was told she was not allowed to go on them anymore due to her height and wouldn’t be allowed even if she wore a lifejacket. Why was she allowed to go all the other times and then denied?

This was very upsetting to our friends (the parents) and the child since she already experienced the rides and knew how much fun these attractions were. Her head was at the 48” inch line, which I believe was a requirement to ride these rides. Also, the 7 year old child was told she could not swim in the 3 foot pool without a life jacket even though the child has been swimming on her own for years very well and can swim the length of a pool on her own.

The only option the lifeguards gave to her parents where she did not have to wear a lifejacket was the small child kiddie attraction and the flowrider (if waiver was signed). The child being 7 was too old to play on the kiddie attraction and yet too small for the tube rides. This did not leave many options for her to have fun without a life jacket. Just an observation by us, the flowrider seemed much more dangerous than the two large attraction rides.

The child and her parents voiced their concerns to many of the lifegaruds and talked to management. We were so angry, frustrated, and upset, we did not want to stay at the waterpark or hotel, and only stayed because it was our daughter’s birthday.

After this event, we witnessed many rules being broken and/or not consistently applied to all parties. I am 30 years old and was told I could not enter the hot tub unless I used the stairs, even though I stepped in very carefully to sit down next to my husband. Not a minute later, a man and his daughter did the same thing and nothing was said to them. The excessive amount of rules ruined our experience and view of the new waterpark and hotel. We were told multiple times of breaking some sort of rules this day of seemingly not dangerous activities.

When we asked the lifegaruds about the rules, they said they are the company’s rules and must follow them. It seems the lifeguards had to take a lot of time to try to explain to folks about the rules, which takes time away from them of actual watching to make sure people are safe.

It seems to us management’s number one priority is not getting sued rather than keeping the guests safe. To make the guest experience more enjoyable, to please consider removing some of these excessive rules and perhaps have everyone sign a waiver for the waterpark similar to the flowrider ride. This way, people are responsible for themselves and children if they are hurt and cannot sue.

We talked to many other guests on this day, many of them just as upset, frustrated, and angry as we were for the same reasons. I am sharing our experience with you, in hopes it may change some of the policies for future guests.

Unfortunately, because of our experience, we will not be back to this waterpark even though it is so close. Nor will be recommending it to any of our family, friends, coworkers, or customers in and around the area. There are many other waterparks with “common sense” rules and we are more than willing to travel to have an enjoyable stay.

One suggestion for the rooms – please add blankets. For the price we paid for the rooms and looking at the rest of the room amenities, I would have thought the hotel room included blankets. The ones on the bed were very thin, more like sheets than blankets. Both families and kids were freezing all night. We talked to the front desk upon checkout about this. They stated you have to request blankets. This seems very odd compared to every hotel we have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed with 3 other families the Thursday and Friday before spring break. Check in was fairly quick, one of our families had an issue where they somehow were booked at the Casino hotel by mistake, but the front desk staff handled it and they ended up in a room on the same floor as the rest of us. The room was nice and new, no problems with the thermostat or the water. I did feel it was a little small. There is a large marble topped desk in there that takes up a lot of room when there is already counter space under the TV and by the sink. Who would come to a water park , and need to work at a huge desk? I am a light sleeper but did not have a problem with noise, except for the occasional slamming door which somehow people cannot keep from doing :)....
The water park seemed very well supervised and clean...the inner tube slide is very fun for all ages with that funnel thing in the middle!
Being that it was Easter weekend, the hotel had some special events, including a couple of easter egg hunts--one in the main pool just for guests, and one in the water park for park goers and hotel guests. The kids loved them, and they were well organized--plenty of eggs for everyone, even latecomers. The event staff was very gracious to everyone, and made it very fun!
The lobby area was a nice place to gather to watch the March Madness basketball games...they came and changed the channel so we could watch the Wolverines--Go Blue!

We agree that the restaurant is nothing special, but we took the shuttle to the casino and ate at the Legends diner with the kids.....the BEST service and comfort food---they let us split into 4 tables of 4, mixing families, and acted like it was no big deal to sort out the bills!!!
There is also a bigger arcade over there, and they told us the Cyberquest cards can be used at both places. Overall, a great experience--we would go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Booked a weekend for our son's second birthday and a few friends joined us for the weekend too. We had a king size standard room and had no complaints (which is saying a lot for someone who can always find something). We'd say the worst part was booking the room as there was never a consistent "deal" advertised. For example I could call the same day and speak to three different people and get three different prices. We ended up making two reservations over the course of two weeks and then canceled the more expensive one (we had to do this because they wouldn't drop the price on the original booking), weird.

So here are a few notes on our stay. As other reviewers mentioned the blankets were thin and the water pressure low, both true, but neither seemed to bother us because we could easily adjust the heat and we love water so we didn't mind the extra few minutes in the shower. We appreciated how clean and new the rooms were. We checked out our friends rooms too. One had the room with the two sets of bunk beds which was nice but the bunks were not in a separate room as we would have liked/needed, so we appreciated that we didn't pay extra for it. There's a small play area outside in the courtyard for young kids which was nice but was nothing special. The automatic storyteller was a bit scary. Our son was intrigued by her movement and not by the story; it was a bit old for him and it was very hard to hear. We did appreciate the extra lobby area for meeting up with friends as well as the free shuttle rides to the casino which we took advantage of a few times. The toddlers in our group loved the shuttle "bus" ride, it might have been the highlight ("the wheels on the bus...")! And it sounds like the hotel changed their keyed door system because some other reviewers mentioned they had troubles using their wrist bands to open their doors, but we had paper wrist bands and standard plastic card room keys which worked fine for us all weekend even though they were roaming free in our pockets next to our cell phones, credit cards, and keys.

We ate at Nbakade for a dinner and breakfast and both were okay. We'd only reccommend Nbakade if you really didn't want to leave the hotel. We also ate at Wiisinidaa and didn't expect much for a snack shop, but were pleasantly surprised how tasty the wraps and quesadillas were and look forward to eating at Wiisinidaa again next time.

The Waterpark was great for us. There was something for everyone. My husband and his friends (the big kids!) loved the surfing, large body slide, and whirl pool. I enjoyed the rock climbing wall, lazy river, and tube ride. Our son loved the basketball pool and the kid slides. And we all enjoyed the large perfectly temped hot tub. Although this water park is smaller than the Great Wolf lodge in Traverse and Avalache Bay in Boyne, it definitely held appeal to us with a small child. The Soaring Eagle waterpark actually catered better to children under 5. Their water play area was fantastic. Our son was able to go on four different slides all by himself and the big bucket dump wasn't nearly as strong as other waterparks. We'll be coming again for years to come, but do think that we will want to go elsewhere when he's older because we can see how the older kids might want a bit more. As other reviewers mentioned they do enforce the life jacket rule for the young kiddos so we reccommend bringing your own unless you want to use their uncomfortable ones, although our son didn't seem to mind too much. Really the only complaint we have (and sadly it's with all waterparks we've ever been to) is that the water and/or air temperatures are too cold. My son's lips were purple on numerous occasions, so thankfully they didn't enforce the "no under 5" rule in the hot tub or we would have not enjoyed our stay. Oh and one thing we didn't realize (or possibly missed reading somewhere) is the 'soaring eagle' lets off a warning to announce the bucket drop. We didn't recognize the eagle until day two because at first it sounds like kids screaming. And then didn't realize the association of the 'scream' to the bucket dump because it is really loud in the Waterpark. So word of caution listen for the eagle right away so your little ones doesn't get trapped in the bucket dump upon their first trip down the entry level slide! Wonder why they put it there is odd to begin with. Overall we enjoyed the park.

Comparing the hotel and Waterpark to others in the state we'd definitely go again as it meets our family's fun needs.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel? Share your experiences!