“Had a great time -going back again” 5 of 5 stars

You added Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel to your Saves list
Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel
5665 East Pickard Road, Mount Pleasant, MI 48858   |
portland mi
“Had a great time -going back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We went there in the beginning of december we chose to go on a Friday night which was great not alot of people we had to check out by 11 am the next day but we could go into the waterpark all the next day. We stayed in a double bed room with 4 of us in there not anything fancy but was worth it. there is a seperate pool and hot tub just for guests that is not in the water park and this seems less busy if you want to relax a little. The staff was nothing but friendly and helpful. If you have kids that are close to 14 say they are because you will get a different wristband for them that allows them to come into the room and waterpark by themselves.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Fenton, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am a realist. Reality will tell all here. I checked into a suite the top of the line "suite" as in $170 a night. Priciest available. I enjoy comfort, luxury. If its worth doing... It's worth overdoing! It was a family trip and the room said it accommodated 4 people. Great! I arrived with my 2 year old son and my husband and my step son and his fiancée which they both are in their early 20s. She is 8 months pregnant. Well >> the sofa sleeper had 1 pillow and she called down to the front desk and asked for more. Ok.. Once again 1 pillow! Not only was the front desk rude they had the nerve to tell us they do not have any more pillows at all! REALLY!!! In the whole hotel you can't find another pillow??? WOW!! Mind you we are in the top of the line suite!!! Tisk Tisk!!! Unacceptable!! So I gave them our pillows out of our bed and went to sleep with 1 pillow and felt like I was in jail. Luxury Suite!!!!! In the morning I woke up with a neck ache and tossed and turned all night!!! Luxury Suite!! You can't even get pillows here folks!! Especially when you are paying for top of the line accommodations. In the morning I had a nice talk with the manager. 45 minutes later they brought us more pillows (the next day) and unfortunately a little to late because I felt horrible from the 1 nasty pillow I used!!! Luxury Suite!!! LAUGHABLE!!! I have stayed in $75 a night hotels and have been treated better. In the end instead of $170 +tax they gave us a discount at $140 a night. Well... In the interim was not worth it AT ALL. As my back and neck ended up in a painful mode and my luxurious get away was a joke. I could have stayed home with more accommodations and had a better time! In the end.... If you can't even get an extra pillow.... Unacceptable....In the hospitality industry a total FAIL!!! You can't accommodate your guests with pillows??? Really???

Room Tip: Make sure you have enough pillows right when you walk in the door!!!! They have a pillow shortage in...
Sandusky, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have found many water parks are more geared toward toddlers and young kids. Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel had more things for the older kids and even adults were enjoying them. The waterpark hours were accommodating and the hotel pool and hot tub were for adults only after 9:00 pm. The rooms were a nice size, we had a fridge and microwave in the room and the beds were super comfy. Staff was awesome, polite and helpful. It was pretty quiet in the room. We will return to this one for sure!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a 2 night weekend stay. We were a bit nervous after reading reviews, but we didn't experience any of the negatives listed by others. The waterpark was quite crowded in the middle of the day on Saturday, so we chose to avoid it during that time. The water temps were fine in the park and in our room. The hotel staff were very helpful! A security guard walked the entire property 24/7, so he seemed to prevent any excessive noise from other hotel guests. We stayed in a suite w bunk beds and a king. The layout was perfect for a family of 5 or 6. The one negative is that the bunk beds are pretty short, so our tall 12 year old didn't really fit. We put his mattress on the floor and he was fine. I would say the bunks would fit anyone under 5'3. We would return if we are ever back in central Mich.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bay City, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We also stayed the last night of the 69.95 promo. My friend and I took our 2 kids for their birthdays, so splitting the cost was nice, only 40.00 a family after taxes and everything. I'll start with the good: The hotel and room were decorated very nicely, and the kids loved the waterpark. I didn't think the noise level was that bad, I expected it because the hotel is full of kids! And despite all the things that could have been better, we had a good time, and the kids had a blast of course!
Now for the bad... Our room looked really nice, but the heater was unusually loud. The bathroom fan didn't work and when you got done in the shower and turned off the showerhead the button popped off. It happened after every shower!
It really is pooly thought out. You have to go through the lobby to get to the waterpark and their regular pool. They have a small pool and hot tub which was nice, but the pool is surrounded by a very smooth tile and i slipped walking into the pool, thank goodness I was using the hand rail!
The entrance to the waterpark is directly across from the entrance to the hotel lobby, so every time someone opened the doors to the waterpark a freezing cold breeze would whip through. There were no available tables or lounge chairs, we ended up sharing a table with another family. You couldn't get a double tube for the slide to save your life! My daughter and I wanted to go down it together and so did my friend and her son. It took her and I standing at the entrance to the lazy river for over an hour to snag a tube and we shared it. The shortage of tubes, single and double was a bit ridiculous. The water in the lazy river was quite cold. The water in the big pool was a bit warmer, but not by much.
Is it as good as Great Wolf Lodge, no way. Did we have a good time, yes we did. And for a lot less than we would've spent going to GWL. Will we go back? Maybe, but I think I would rather spend the extra $ and go to GWL.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Lets start with the water park. The water was over chlorinated by a large margin. The temp of the water was cold. I was getting into the lazy river with my son and I told him it was cold and one of th life guards said "everyone keeps saying that". Logic dictates if everyone thinks the water is too cold a temp adjustment might be needed. Another tell tale sign, when there is 60 people in the hot tub your water is too cold to have fun in.

They have a neet whirlpool type of pool that pushes the kids around in a circular motion the only problem with that is that there are 5 or 6 fountains that spray on to the area keeping you blind for 3/4 of the circular trip and with the water being over chlorinated it was a huge pain to constantly be wiping water out of your eyes.

The flo rider is good. The life guards that work that ride are great and friendly.

The rooms are ok. My biggest problem is with the temps again. Couldn't get the room warmer than 68. The heat runs on geo thermal, defiantly not working. Inadequate hot water in the room.

We met friends at the hotel restaurant and decided to sit together. I didn't think it was a big deal 4 adults 4 kids. We asked for seperate checks and was accommodated however I didn't care for the automatic 18% gratuity being added in for a group of 8 or more. Now we usually tip 15-20% anyway but I guess I like to have the option of setting the amount I tip depending on the quality of the service we receive instead of being forced into it by the hotel. Unfortunately we were informed of this policy after our meal.

I think the place could be great if they would make some minor changes. I know you can't make everyone happy but the temps need to be turned up if everyone feels its cold. Frankly no excuse for the room temp not working.

Mount Morris, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed here the very last day of the $69.95/night promo and the hotel was completely booked solid. At the front desk we were told they had been booked solid for 2 weeks straight. Luckily, we arrived around 3:25 and were able to check in at that time after only about a 10-15 minute wait in line. We were told the hours of the waterpark up front, so no surprise they closed at 8pm and would reopen at 10am. The previous reviews (and literature at the hotel) indicate they were using wristband key cards, but we were given regular key cards with generic neon green wrist bands.
We took our bags up to our room (319) before heading back down to the waterpark. The room was small, but well decorated and very nice. One thing that is nice for those of us with little ones is that each bed had a waterproof mattress pad on it, but you wouldn't know it just by laying on them. Beds were very comfy. Blankets were thin, as other people have complained, but the thermostat is adjustable, so we had no issues.
By the time we got down to the waterpark (in the main lobby, where you check in, also not well thought out...) a longer line was formed at the check-in desk, where only 2 employees were working. The water park seemed a bit crowded, but we learned was nothing to what we experienced the next morning. We couldn't find a seat for about an hour that evening and the waterpark was very small. We left around 6:30 and noticed it was getting more crowded then, but we were finished for the night. We ordered pizza in from outside, then headed over to the casino for the larger arcade and so my hubby could gamble. They offered a free shuttle to the casino, but took our own vehicle.
We got back to our room just before 10pm and couldn't believe how much noise came through the walls. We heard a kid crying to one side of us and a kid telling his parents he needed to poop to the other side. Not to mention all of the noise from the hallway. For a hotel aimed towards kids/families, they really dropped the ball by skimping on insulating between the rooms. We cranked the TV up and fell asleep with it on to drown out the other noises. The TV did have quite an extensive list of channels, which we were impressed by. Even Fox Sports Detroit, so we didn't miss the Red Wings game!
The following morning, checkout was at 11 am and the waterpark opened at 10. Keep in mind there is no place to store your belongings except for a set of maybe 20 expensive lockers in the entire waterpark area, so by the time we got there at 10:45 EVERY SINGLE table/chair/bench was claimed by someone, by throwing their dirty laundry, shoes, luggage, whatever they had onto it. Of probably 50 lounge chairs, maybe 5 were actually being sat on and the rest were used for storage. There were maybe 30 tables with chairs near the restaurant and all were "claimed" as well. Very frustrating. We planned on eating lunch there before leaving, but were not going to stand and eat our food so that other people could store their belongings while they enjoyed the waterpark. So we cut our trip shorter than we would have liked so that we could go somewhere else and eat.
There were long lines for everything, even the kiddy slides had small waits, when there were none the day before. Our 4 year old had no complaints, but even he was ready to go after an hour and a half. Another thing not thought out very well is that not only do the locker rooms not have any lockers inside of them at all, you have to come out into the waterpark carrying your clothes after you change if you do choose to use one of the few they offer (which are $5-7 depending on which size you need, but they do take credit!)
Before leaving we did head into the arcade and were disappointed in the game choices as well as the size. Again, for a place geared towards kids, the arcade should've been at least large enough to walk through without turning sideways to walk between 2 people playing games. My son much preferred the arcade at the casino. It was much larger, had more games and a bigger selection of prizes.
I feel like the $70 price is more than fair for what they offered, but I should've waited and paid more to go at a different time when they weren't so busy. I doubt we will go back again, but if we do it will definitely NOT be during a promotional period. I understand that they have not been open very long, but they are not well equipped at all to handle a full house.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel? Share your experiences!