“The Upper Peninsula” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Marquette
Palm Springs, California
“The Upper Peninsula”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Good value for the money. The hotel was well maintained and the staff
was both helpful and accommodating. This is a good time of year to visit
the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The restaurant was well run and the
food was up to the standards expected.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michigan. The Upper Peninsula is absolutely the perfect place to visit if you enjoy breathtaking views of Lake Michigan, Superior, and Lake Huron along with scenic drives, and the opportunity to get up close to area wildlife. We are lucky to live up here and love to share Marquette with our guests. I will pass along your comments to our staff, and I hope you will return soon. Warm Regards, Ann Armstrong, Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Fort Calhoun NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is an older hotel but is in good shape. It has been updated and everything is clean and neat. The staff is very nice and everyone on staff says hello when passing you in the hall or any where on the property. The rooms were clean and beds were comfy. The only negative is the small bathroom.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michigan. I will certainly pass along your comments to our staff. They truly do their best to provide friendly, genuine guest service. I hope that we will see you on your next visit to Marquette. Much thanks. Ann Armstrong, Director of Sales
woodstock, il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel was clean and friendly. The only drawback was it does not have free breakfast you must buy from their on site restaurant. they are knowledgeable about the area and were able to direct us to the college and other sites. They gave us maps and good directions. There are plenty of places to eat nearby including Starbucks.

Room Tip: not near the elevator
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michigan. I will certainly pass along your comments to our staff. They really try to have as much information available about the area for our guests. As a full service hotel, we have a lovely dining room that serves outstanding food at very affordable prices. I would encourage you to try it out during your next visit. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong, Director of Sales.
Wayne, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights while attending a conference. The wifi was free and worked well. The staff was friendly for the most part - it seemed like the food service people were really making an effort to be prompt and accommodating. The pool area looked nice and spacious, including the whirlpool, altho' we did not have time to use it. We ate one meal - breakfast - in the restaurant and it was okay - nice service but average, somewhat overpriced, food. The fresh fruit was very overripe. The fan/AC in our room did not work well - we had to jumpstart it a few times by banging on it. When we mentioned this upon checkout, we were told that the system was old and quirky and going to be replaced soon. One day, in the middle of our stay, our key cards suddenly did not work. They were replaced along with a lecture on how we need to be careful about not demagnetizing them. We KNOW we didn't do this and suspect they just erred with our check-out date. I don't need to be lectured by a 20-year old! The other thing that really irked me was 2 employees smoking right by the entrance in front of a sign reading "No smoking within 20 feet of entrance." I pointed this out to them.and received an excuse about it might rain. Bottom line - this hotel was convenient for our event. If they want to compete, they need consistency and quality control.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments. I have passed along your comments to our management team, and they will be reviewed with their staff. I truly would like to speak with you personally regarding your stay. If you are interested in speaking with me, please feel free to contact me at 906-315-4224. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales
Venice, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

When we pulled into the parking lot, my heart sank. I felt we were in for a smelly night in a drab and depressing 1970's hotel. Luckily, I was totally wrong. The suite we had was the size of 2 hotel rooms with a totally separate living room, dining room, kitchenette area with granite countertops and a large stainless steel sink. The furnishings and bedding were up to date and best of all there was no smell!! Not only did it not smell musty or moldy, it didn't smell like room air freshener either. It was just totally neutral. The room we had looked out into tree tops and there was no road noise so we could leave the windows open at night. The very large flat screen TV also had a dvd player underneath. The breakfast we had the next morning at the restaurant was very nice and the huge pool and hot tub area were clean and pleasant. The rate was very reasonable and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michgian . I will certainly pass along your comments to our staff. The suite that you had is a wonderful room for corporate guests and families. A lot of thought went into how we could wow our guests with this room when we went through recent renovatoins. I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations. Thanks again for sharing.
La Porte, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Our stay at the Holiday Inn was one of the worst I have ever stayed at. My wife and I were on vacation doing an upper peninsula 9 day fall color tour and booked a night at the Holiday Inn. When we checked in we were never informed the pool area was closed until we showed up at the pool entrance with our suits on looking forward to the whirlpool and saw the sign on the door. So our night went downhill from there. As we got ready for bed the room started to get a little cold. So time to fire up the heater but guess what. The furnace worked as well as the pool. No heat, normally I would have called the front desk for another room, but it was late and had no desire to pack up and move. Then to top it off I was awakened by the sound of a very loud lawn tractor cutting the grass at 7am (my time) and I was on the top floor, must have been even louder below. If I was working it would be a non issue as I would have been up and long gone by then but when on vacation it would be nice to sleep a little later. I did complain to the front desk when I checked out but just got a half hearted sorry. I really would have expected more from a premium brand like Holiday Inn, I realize when you prepay your options are limited, but perhaps a breakfast voucher would have been nice. When staying at a hotel there are certain things you just take for granted such as a clean room in a hotel that works and they did not make the grade.

Room Tip: Check to make sure the heater works
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would truly like to discuss your comments with you. I have sent you a personal email. If you would like to contact me directly, please call me at 906-315-4224. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales.
GREEN BAY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Clean and relatively spacious rooms. Friendly and attentive staff on check in. Only draw "back" - bed very firm and pillows are even firmer. A/C very loud. Location on US 41 convenient to downtown, ski hill, NMU but a little tricky... Hint turn by the Wendy's.

Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette. I am sorry that you found our mattresses and pillows too firm to your liking. We do our best to order a product that we believe will appeal to all guests. If you were unaware, we do offer a choice of a firm or soft pillows. I will pass along your comments regarding our staff. They try very hard to ensure each guest has a clean, comfortable stay, while providing genuine caring service. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong, Director of Sales

Been to Holiday Inn Marquette? Share your experiences!