“Mostly Friendly but overpriced and dated” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in Marquette
Wayne, IL
“Mostly Friendly but overpriced and dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights while attending a conference. The wifi was free and worked well. The staff was friendly for the most part - it seemed like the food service people were really making an effort to be prompt and accommodating. The pool area looked nice and spacious, including the whirlpool, altho' we did not have time to use it. We ate one meal - breakfast - in the restaurant and it was okay - nice service but average, somewhat overpriced, food. The fresh fruit was very overripe. The fan/AC in our room did not work well - we had to jumpstart it a few times by banging on it. When we mentioned this upon checkout, we were told that the system was old and quirky and going to be replaced soon. One day, in the middle of our stay, our key cards suddenly did not work. They were replaced along with a lecture on how we need to be careful about not demagnetizing them. We KNOW we didn't do this and suspect they just erred with our check-out date. I don't need to be lectured by a 20-year old! The other thing that really irked me was 2 employees smoking right by the entrance in front of a sign reading "No smoking within 20 feet of entrance." I pointed this out to them.and received an excuse about it might rain. Bottom line - this hotel was convenient for our event. If they want to compete, they need consistency and quality control.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. I have passed along your comments to our management team, and they will be reviewed with their staff. I truly would like to speak with you personally regarding your stay. If you are interested in speaking with me, please feel free to contact me at 906-315-4224. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Venice, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

When we pulled into the parking lot, my heart sank. I felt we were in for a smelly night in a drab and depressing 1970's hotel. Luckily, I was totally wrong. The suite we had was the size of 2 hotel rooms with a totally separate living room, dining room, kitchenette area with granite countertops and a large stainless steel sink. The furnishings and bedding were up to date and best of all there was no smell!! Not only did it not smell musty or moldy, it didn't smell like room air freshener either. It was just totally neutral. The room we had looked out into tree tops and there was no road noise so we could leave the windows open at night. The very large flat screen TV also had a dvd player underneath. The breakfast we had the next morning at the restaurant was very nice and the huge pool and hot tub area were clean and pleasant. The rate was very reasonable and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michgian . I will certainly pass along your comments to our staff. The suite that you had is a wonderful room for corporate guests and families. A lot of thought went into how we could wow our guests with this room when we went through recent renovatoins. I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations. Thanks again for sharing.
La Porte, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Our stay at the Holiday Inn was one of the worst I have ever stayed at. My wife and I were on vacation doing an upper peninsula 9 day fall color tour and booked a night at the Holiday Inn. When we checked in we were never informed the pool area was closed until we showed up at the pool entrance with our suits on looking forward to the whirlpool and saw the sign on the door. So our night went downhill from there. As we got ready for bed the room started to get a little cold. So time to fire up the heater but guess what. The furnace worked as well as the pool. No heat, normally I would have called the front desk for another room, but it was late and had no desire to pack up and move. Then to top it off I was awakened by the sound of a very loud lawn tractor cutting the grass at 7am (my time) and I was on the top floor, must have been even louder below. If I was working it would be a non issue as I would have been up and long gone by then but when on vacation it would be nice to sleep a little later. I did complain to the front desk when I checked out but just got a half hearted sorry. I really would have expected more from a premium brand like Holiday Inn, I realize when you prepay your options are limited, but perhaps a breakfast voucher would have been nice. When staying at a hotel there are certain things you just take for granted such as a clean room in a hotel that works and they did not make the grade.

Room Tip: Check to make sure the heater works
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would truly like to discuss your comments with you. I have sent you a personal email. If you would like to contact me directly, please call me at 906-315-4224. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales.

Travelers are raving about these Marquette hotels

GREEN BAY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Clean and relatively spacious rooms. Friendly and attentive staff on check in. Only draw "back" - bed very firm and pillows are even firmer. A/C very loud. Location on US 41 convenient to downtown, ski hill, NMU but a little tricky... Hint turn by the Wendy's.

Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette. I am sorry that you found our mattresses and pillows too firm to your liking. We do our best to order a product that we believe will appeal to all guests. If you were unaware, we do offer a choice of a firm or soft pillows. I will pass along your comments regarding our staff. They try very hard to ensure each guest has a clean, comfortable stay, while providing genuine caring service. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong, Director of Sales
Elk rapids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

All the hotel services were great, the front desk, breakfast and dinner was very good. The hostess
And wait staff were excellent !! For being on a main road it was very quite and lots of room to walk
My dog.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michigan. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our staff. Customer service is very important to our team, and I am glad that they exceeded your expectations. Our hotel is perfect for guests traveling with their canine children. We have so much green space and wooded area which is perfect for your pet. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong, Director of Sales
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I loved pulling up to this property and seeing that they've kept the place as it must have been for the past decades. While the building is old, even the hallways are updated and you sense they have given this place some TLC. I was exhausted from a long trip so I was very pleased when I opened the door to my room to find nice updates while also seeing hints of the past. The tiles in the bath were much more interesting and attractive than a shower insert or other cheap changes to make the place look modern. My room was clean, fresh, and room service delivered a lovely meal at 9:00 that night. Breakfast in the morning was standard but hot and delicious. The staff was very friendly and efficient. I love it when they anticipate the needs of their guests and, after serving my coffee, offered me a cup I could take with me as well. Thank you!

Room Tip: The rooms that face the back woods are beautiful, quiet, and have a view that brings peace.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn of Marquette Michigan. I am so happy that you appreciate the renovations that were completed in 2012. I too think the hotel looks great. I will pass along your comments regarding our employees. They truly do care about our guests and are very genuine and caring. I hope that when you are back in Marquette you will once again choose to stay with us. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales.
Madison Heights, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

First time in Marquette and needed a place to say. On that end it delivered. The hotel is older and the very little we saw of it was probably in need of some updates. The lobby was redone but the guest room that we stayed in was definitely small and dated. Air conditioner did not work properly (or at all) however I did not report it so did not give them the opportunity to make it right. There was a funky smell in the hallway near the ice machine however or room was fine. The pool was large and hottub was hot. The lounge and attached bar was large and the bartender was quick and friendly. Did not have breakfast so can't vouch for the food or dining services. As part of our being gold members we got one free drink per room every evening at the bar and one free breakfast per room in the dining area. Only used one of the drink coupons.

The only real complaint that I have is that for the location and age/condition of the guest rooms the cost is a bit too much for what you get. Additionally it is not within walking distance of downtown which is a bit of a bummer. If I am ever in Marquette again I would consider staying here again unless I could find a similar deal closer to the downtown area. I would probably not recommend to others as I was not overly impressed and feel that there would be better choices from a choice and location standpoint in the Marquette area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Marquette, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. We certainly appreciate you choosing our hotel for your first time visit to the area. In 2012, we completed a $2 million dollar renovation to ensure that the hotel remains bright and cheerful for our guests. I apologize that we did not meet your renovation expectations in the guest rooms area. I am very interested in the room that you occupied as I would certainly like to have the a/c unit checked for trouble. If you would so kind as to call me directly, I would love to get a little bit more information from you. My phone number is 906-315-4224. Sincerely, Ann Armstrong Director of Sales

Been to Holiday Inn Marquette? Share your experiences!