“Pasties to please a picky eater!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Family Fare
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
“Pasties to please a picky eater!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I'll confess, I'm a very picky eater. I don't like my food to touch on the plate, and pasties sounded like they were specially formulated to distress me. However, I try to be adventurous, so we stopped here on our way through the U.P. It was the best decision I've made in awhile. The man behind the counter was super friendly and explained the different choices and sides to us. He even gave my mom a hilarious postcard explaining how to pronounce "pasty" (Hint: rhymes with lastly.)

I had the traditional pasty with rutabaga and gravy- it was amazing. The crust was really light and flaky, not too thick or dry. The filling was just delicious, I don't even know how to describe it. They were big too, my husband and I split one, which was the perfect amount of food. I'm sure I could have happily eaten the whole thing though. They even have a vegetarian option which is a nice bonus.

While pasties are ubiquitous in the U.P, I don't think you'll be disappointed by those on offer from Jean Kay's!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Michigan
“Perfect Pasty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stopped at the local favorite Jean Kay's and had to try their traditional Pasties. The crust was light, flaky, and delicious. The filling was the traditional meat, veggies, and rutabaga, but they also offered a version without rutabaga, and a vegetarian option. If you choose a meal, you'll have the choice of coleslaw or gravy. My recommendation is both! Or, if you're dining with a companion, order one of each and share. Your belly will be full of satisfying comfort food that doesn't disappoint. The restaurant had tons of local charm and the staff were eager to educate patrons on the history, pronunciation, and charm of the regional delicacy the pasty. There were several other sandwiches on the menu that sounded delicious, but we had to try their number 1 seller, the traditional pasty. Our only regret was that we weren't able to take home some of their frozen pasty's for later, as we had no way to keep them cold enough during our road trip!

Visited July 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Best Patsy's in the World!! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Absolutely a must stop spot for lunch! Love the traditional with rhubarbs along with the Birch Beer (better than Root Beer). You can't beat the the service and it's absolutely the best value in town! Treat yourself to a bug cookie for desert :)

Marquette, MI
“Pasties the way they ought to be, eh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

When I want a good pasty at a good price, Jean Kay's is my go-to place. They aren't as greasy as some of the other pasties I've had, and they don't skimp on the meat like some bargain pasties. The folks are friendly and have good advice for the best way to preserve and prepare the pasties. I've always taken my pasties to go, so I can eat them by Lake Superior or drive them downstate to friends and relatives.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newland, NC
“Everyone visiting the UP should try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We asked around and heard these were the best pasties around! They were something we wanted to try and they were great. Very filling and fresh baked! The staff was so helpful and patient with us! They explained the history of the pasty to us and helped our children order something they would enjoy also! No wonder this place has been around for 30 years! Must try!

• Visited July 2014