“Beautiful Facility, Incredibly Customer-Oriented, Great Value!” 5 of 5 stars

Landmark Inn
230 North Front Street, Marquette, MI 49855   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Marquette
Marquette, Michigan
“Beautiful Facility, Incredibly Customer-Oriented, Great Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I invited my family to come visit me in Marquette, but my apartment is not big enough to host all 6 of them. I wanted them to have a truly unique experience, so I called the Landmark Inn. The front desk staff was extremely helpful while booking, and they quoted me a great rate on the Penthouse Suite which very comfortably slept my entire family. When they arrived to the hotel, my family were delighted to discover the breathtaking views from the 6th floor, 3 different restaurant/lounges, a very extensive and affordable menu, and the most helpful and friendly staff imaginable. We all felt very much at home at the Landmark, and they can't wait to come visit me again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Boynton Beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This hotel really deserves an "excellent" review, but for just one "hiccup" I decided that a "very good" review was a fair choice. My husband and I decided to visit the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to view the fall colors and diverse natural attractions in that part of the state. Not having any plans in mind, we decided to go to Marquette, visiting Picture Rocks and Tahquamenon Falls State Park along the way. More about those in another review. We arrived at the Landmark in on a Thursday afternoon for a two night stay. Upon our arrival at the Inn, located on Front Street in the heart of Marquette, we were pleasantly surprised by the location and the ambience of this historic and attractive Inn. Our room was super clean, large and very inviting and decorated with period pieces of the early 1900's. The large bathroom with a plethora of towels, was clean and afforded all the amenities necessary for our stay. After a long day of travel we decided to have our dinner at the hotels premier restaurant, Capers. Fine dinning at its best along with wonderful service. Kayla, our waitress was charming and addressed all of our request with a smile and efficiency, pure pleasure. We started with the Crab Cakes and the Capers Salad that we shared. For the main course my husband opted for the Tenderloin Bordelaise and I requested the Rack of Lamb, the presentation was a feast for the eyes. Both main courses were delectable and perfectly done and the desserts were just as wonderful. The following morning we again decided in having breakfast at Capers, outstanding!! That evening (Friday) we decided once again to have diner at Capers, not realizing that without reservation it would be a difficult endeavour, the front desk suggested the North Star Lounge at the top of the Inn. The lounge offerings are from the kitchens of Capers and Northland Pub within the Inn, with a wide selections and options. My husband decided on the Rueben and I the Butternut Ravioli in a Saffron Creme sauce, I still dream about them. Sitting at the pinnacle of the Inn at sunset was magnificent, with its wrap around windows we took in all of Marquette at night fall. Our last morning at the Inn we decided on breakfast at Capers. I believe that when traveling, one should always diversify, unfortunately I did not heed my own mantra. Needless to say..that breakfast was a disaster. We were told that the kitchen staff was having issues and not getting along, WHAT?? I will not divulge of what transpired, it is pointless and the only thing that I can and will say is that the Landmark Inn needs to employ people that are respectful of their job and put childish behaviour aside. The hotel General Manager should hire staff that will represent this beautiful and amazing establishment with respect for its customers and guests with finesse, which was lacking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leelanau County, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I paid the extra $10 for a water view, and it was a partial view. So it was only so-so, but for $10 it was not a deal breaker. But our room, on the 6th floor, was stunning. Obviously, an old hotel room has certain limitations, but our room was beautifully wallpapered and accessorized. We needed to use both the heat and A/C, and both worked beautifully. One of the vintage windows even opened to allow the natural breeze to blow in. Location is within a short walk of the downtown shopping and entertaining district. Initially concerned because the Sky Light Lounge was at the far end of our hallway and thought there would be much traffic and noise. But the double set of doors between our room and the elevators & lounge limited all noise. Just an absolutely enjoyable experience. Will happily return.

Room Tip: I cannot speak about the quality or attractiveness of the rooms on the lower floors, but the three r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in September and luckily for me the weather and drive was beautiful, it added to the charm of the hotel and Marquette, MI. I stayed in room 204 and it was very nice. I had a king sized bed and the room was decorated nicely. I was in town for work and it was a short drive to the university. It was also located right on the lake and very close to restaurants and bars. I did check out the pub one night and the service and food was good. I would recommend that as well. I have nothing negative to say about the hotel. The only hiccup I had was on my second day, neither of my room keys would work -- maybe it was the ghosts messing with me!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rapid River, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I ran an LED seminar at the Landmark today - in the Boardroom conference room and my lighting rep and I both stayed at the hotel the night before. Wow. I am now spoiled. Our server Emily was excellent, checking on us often to see if we needed refills on beverages or food and all of the staff was excellent. The food was outstanding - bagels with a roasted tomato cream cheese spread were very tasty.and the muffins freshly baked. The downtown location and availability of parking was ideal. Rachael the night before went above and beyond to help us get set up late the night before after the last group finished up. The rooms were lovely and comfortable - LOVE the bedspreads by the way, not your typical hotel at all. I love staying at the Landmark but now I have a NEW reason to make use of them - they understand what the business traveler needs. Next seminar I run will be here for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Powers, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The location is probably one of the best qualities of the hotel. I took a little weekend getaway to visit some friends and meet up with them downtown...location is perfect. Being in the hotel business myself, I did notice a few things.

Upon arriving, there was nowhere to park; apparently there was a wedding going on. I parked in the neighboring church parking lot. Upon entering the lobby, it was very clean and the staff members passing by were very friendly.

Checkin was decently efficient. I arrived around 8:30 pm or so. When I asked the clerk if it was alright if I parked in the church parking lot his response was that I was probably going to get towed. He didn't really give me a solution to my problem until I came out and asked what I should do to avoid getting towed. He thought a moment then surprisingly, offered valet parking...weird it took so long, but alright. I wasn't given any information as to where the bar or restaurants were, didn't know if they were still serving food, and had to ask how to get to my room. To be honest, I kind of left the desk a little confused. The condescending attitude didn't make me feel anymore welcome than the serious lack of information...

The room was great. Very historic but well maintained. I liked the bottles of wine for purchase in the room...it was a nice touch. Matresses were horrible, and dated...but it's an old hotel...The room was spotless, and that is something that I look for. It had a pretty neat alarm clock that I could plug my iPhone into...one of the highlights of my room as I forgot my charger!

When we went into the bar for some drinks, it wasn't very busy. We sat there for a good 15 minutes before we were even acknowledged by either of the two bartenders. We had to get their attention and ask if we could order food. They were pleasant once you started talking to them, just not very customer-oriented from the beginning, and definitely not overly friendly. I got the vibe that we were on their time. After waiting so long to get served and then to put an order in (the bar still not very busy), we told him we would just have someone bring it to the room instead. The room service girl was very pleasant and friendly.

We got a steak from the pub and some appetizers, it was okay. Not bad for "bar food." We did not eat in the restaurant but I can only hope the service was better in there.

All in all, this place has to work on their training of their staff. This is a must in any type of hospitality business. The front desk staff should at least have a script for dummies to read off of to ensure that guests checking in know the things available in the hotel, especially if someone has never stayed there before. The bartenders need to work on their bar awareness. No one should have to wait two minutes, much less 15 minutes to even get a simple hello or acknowledgement.

Would I return? Yes. I would return simply for the location and the fact that it did seem pretty quiet. Not a lot of noise in the room, and again, the location is key. I would definitely just use it as a hotel though, and dine elsewhere.

I like to see hotels operate with success, especially one as historic as The Landmark. It was evident that there were no managers around on a Saturday night ensuring that things were going smooth, and that was odd. Good managers and hoteliers are usually seen roaming about. I highly suggest management waking up and teaching the staff some hospitality. It's on you to make your staff better...training is seriously needed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
plymouth, mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The Landmark is one of the hotels we stay at over and over again as we visit Marquette.

The Pros: The location is perfect - right downtown, walking distance to shopping, bars and food. The hotel is very nicely appointed. The staff is very friendly - from the front desk to the bartenders to housekeeping. The Pub is a great place to grab a drink, watch some baseball and grab a meal. Room service is fast, hot and delicious. The rooms are (for the most part) spacious and very comfortable with large bathrooms and great views. Finally - it's less expensive than the new Hampton Inn a few blocks away.

The Cons: We love the Landmark, but there are a couple issues.

Noise! We were on the second floor and we could hear the solo-acoustic guy in the pub singing away until he stopped. In the pub itself, he was so loud it was nearly impossible to talk. I understand the attraction of live entertainment, but they should turn they guy down a bit so partons can talk and guests can enjoy some peace in their rooms. This was not an issue when we've stayed on higher floors.

Noise! (#2) Monday morning, 7:05am the city started tearing up the sidewalk right under our room. There were jackhammers and compressors and trucks blaring. It was truly unbearable. Of course, the hotel can't be held responsible for this - but I would encourage them to raise the issue with the city because it was a seriously miserable situation for a couple very early hours of the day. I'm sure the city could have timed the work better than 7am in front of the only hotel downtown. That's no way to encourage visitors to your community!

Noise! (#3) We've had the repeated issue of slamming doors in the hallways. This seems to be largely inline with Saturday weddings (and Friday pre-parties). It's been fairly consistent the last few times we've stayed here. It would be great if they could put some mechanisms on the doors to minimize the slamming factor. It's an old hotel, and with that comes some extra noise - we understand that - but I think some corrective measures could be taken here.

Our last real issue is that they could use an upgrade of the mattresses. The last couple rooms we've had have had very hard, uncomfortable mattresses.

Despite the Cons, we really do love this hotel and would encourage our friends to stay there. It would be really great to see a couple of the noise issues addressed. See you soon Marquette!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Landmark Inn? Share your experiences!