“Our wedding evening was ruined here.” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Becasse Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Maple City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: CR 616 and CR 675
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Our wedding evening was ruined here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

After my husband and I were married, we drove up to the Leelanau Peninsula for our honeymoon. We had made a reservation at La Becasse. When the reservation was made, they were told that we would be arriving on our wedding day, and that we were traveling from a distance but would do our best to arrive on time.

We did, in fact, arrive exactly on time. But the restaurant was full. We were told that "our table" had a party that was lingering over their dessert and coffee, but that it wouldn't be long until we were seated. There is NO place to sit and wait for a table at La Becasse--there's a heavy velvet curtain over the door; a tiny entryway, and no reception area to speak of. We stood wedged into a corner for about 20 minutes. Then we went and talked around the parking lot for another 40 minutes. It was a very cold fall evening, and we were supposed to be checking in at our hotel for the night. Every time we would check with the person doing the seating, we were told that they did not want to "rush" the other diners.

Finally, after an hour and 20 minutes, we were given a table. No apologies were made. No concessions were made on our bill. No meal, no matter how good (and the food at this restaurant is very good) could make up for the shoddy treatment we received on what should have been a memorable evening. The service here is snobbish, and considering that we made very little fuss about having to walk out in a dark, cold parking lot for more than an hour, the high-handed way we were treated was just plain insulting. I would never recommend this restaurant for that reason.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

SW Michigan
“Best of Memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

In September of 1989 my dear wife and I were married. Our honeymoon was spent in a piece of God's country, from Glen Lake to Leeland and Traverse City. I believe we visited every winery in the area, enjoyed the beauty of the counryside, the peace of a drive along Grand Traverse Bay listening to Chopin. But, what we still talk about twenty years later is dinner at La Becasse. Our meal was bested only by the service and the atmosphere. Over the past twenty years we have enjoyed the blessing of dining at many very fine restaurants. Often their benchmark is LaBecasse, a hidden away gem that we look forward to visiting in September of 2009.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago
“Best dinner , each course better than the last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I had the pleasure of dining alone with a last minute reservation on a Saturday night in July. They made it clear when I called that since I was a alone they would accommodate me whenever I wished, unlike another place that laughed when I called. That was the first indication of a warm, friendly atmosphere. Hannah was my server, a delightful young woman who was fun to talk to each time she appeared, and also knew the menu and the wine list. I started with a Kir Royal, which tasted like I was in the South of France. Hannah's recommendations were dead on: the amuse bouche an amazing crostini with cream cheese, scallions, and bacon, a tomato tartlet in a light pastry with goat cheese, beet gazpacho that I could not have imagined but wished I could have another bowl, and lamb chops in a peppercorn reduction sauce that were very tasty. Next time I am in the Sleeping Bear Dunes area, I will make sure I don't miss coming here again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
se MI
“one of the best...anywhere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

this little restaurant is one of my favorites ...not just in MI.. but anywhere! Truly a hidden gem. I just wish I didn't have to drive 5 hrs. to visit! (but I'm going to in 2 weeks!)

Southeast, Michigan
“My favorite restaurant in NW Michigan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

My parents retired to North West Michigan. I absolutley love this restaurant. It has yet to disappoint. I typically order the veal which is mouthwatering. I highly recommend this quaint restaurant.