“Can't watch movies using a DVD Player & BED BUGS!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #7 of 9 hotels in Madison Heights
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Can't watch movies using a DVD Player & BED BUGS!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I found the room at this hotel at a great price online. It had everything my boyfriend and I were looking for in a room: queen-size bed, kitchenette area w/ refrigerator and microwave, etc. However, little did we know, it didn't have the most BASIC thing that we were looking for. . .
Hint #1 - NEVER BOOK THROUGH PRICELINE! No matter how deceiving the prices on Priceline may be, their cancellation policy sucks! I will go back to this in a second . . .meanwhile, after we checked in, we started to eat dinner. About 45 minutes into eating dinner, he started to hook up his PlayStation 3 to the tv so that we could watch some DVDs that we rented. Well, come to find out, this hotel has purposefully de-programmed channels 2, 3, and 4 so that you couldn't have access to watch a DVD! We tried to go through the menu options and the only options available were for sleep timer and closed caption. They set the channels so that there was no input source to watch a DVD, complete b.s.!! Neither one of us has had an experience where you could NOT hook up a DVD player to the tv to watch a movie. We were so upset that we left. Upon leaving, the girl at the front desk mentioned that because we were in the "room for an 1 hour", there was nothing they could do. And, of course the manager was off until Monday! In the meantime, she told us that because we booked through Priceline, they would have to give us a refund, but according to their b.s. cancellation policy, they wouldn't give us a refund either. So, we decided to return back to the room and give it another shot. About 5 hours into staying in the room - mind you, it's about 1:30 in the morning, I look over, and we see a BED BUG. My boyfriend captured it and put it in a bottle so we could show the staff on-site. She asked if we wanted to move to another room but we were so disgusted that we left for the second time! We went over to Econo Lodge across the street and did not have any problems at all over there.
Anyways, so not only did we have a TERRIBLE experience, but there were bed bugs and we STILL haven't gotten our money back. Not from the hotel or not even from Priceline, and no one seems to care. I will never stay at this hotel again nor will I ever use Priceline. The hotel tried to tell us that they are doing upgrades and that will solve the problem of the dvd player; however, we weren't staying during the upgrades so that defeated the entire purpose of the stay, nor does it cover the bed bug situation. The woman on-staff told us to bring the bedbug back when the manager is there, ugh. It seems as if you can have a bad experience at a hotel and request a refund and no one cares or wants to solve the problem!

Room Tip: My only tip: good luck finding a room with no bed bugs!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I want to sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. That is most definitely not the experience we want our guests to have. I would suggest you reach out to Priceline to express your concerns with their cancellation, refund and payment policy. Because you booked with a third party like Priceline, you did not pay the hotel directly so we unfortunately cannot refund your money. I also wanted to let you know that we have a very extensive preventative process for all pests, including bed bugs. I am very sorry you found an insect in your room and I sincerely apologize that we did not handle that to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your feedback as it only helps us improve our service for future guests like yourself.

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

yvette the head property/hotel manager couldnt be more friendly, kind, and will to make a stay extremely inviting and enjoyable here. thank you to her and her entire staff! -M

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Markus,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay at our Extended Stay America Detroit – Madison Heights. It’s always rewarding to hear feedback like yours. I’m so glad our staff made your stay comfortable and memorable. We appreciate your time completing this review and mostly, we thank you for your business.
Saginaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I have been staying here almost every week since September 2011. The new manager is amazing. I had so many problems with cleanliness in the past, and actually had to bring my own alcohol wipes to clean the whole room myself every week. I made many complaints via email survey, but nothing was ever fixed until the new manager started. She made me feel like a valued customer. She makes sure to ask me every week if my room is clean. I am so impressed with the changes in this establishment.

-Kaitlin

Room Tip: The 3rd floor is quieter. You don't hear people stomping around.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Kaitlin,

Thank you so much for your glowing review of your stay at Extended Stay America – Detroit Madison Heights. This is exactly what we want to hear! Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest that walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours. It tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.
Lansing, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I often stay in Madison Heights when visiting friends and I tried the Extended Stay recently. It was not the greatest room, but it was the best price. I was not pleased with a couple small things associated with my trip though. I emailed on Sunday evening and got a call from the hotel manager on Monday morning. She was very appreciative for the feedback and very apologetic for my unfortunate experience. She assured me that that was not the kind of experience she would have liked me to have and that she would be working with her staff to improve. I thought it was handled very well and will certainly give Extended Stay another chance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your positive comments about your stay at our Extended Stay America – Detroit Madison Heights. I am so happy to hear that we handled your concerns in a timely manner and all was resolved. We strive to take care of our guests and I’m glad to hear we did just that. Thank you again and please do not hesitate to contact us for any of your future hotel needs. We hope to see you again soon.
Madison Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

My husband and I moved from Oregon two months ago for a new job that he has. He has been unemployed for 33 months prior to that and because of that our credit is shot so it is making it really hard for us to get a place to live. Also, without a car for the moment it's hard for us to move around in town because of the lack of a really good bus system out here.

The location here is in a really good spot. We are walking distance from a full grocery store, target, the mall, costco and many other places as well. This area feels safe enough to let me roam around town without him being there and the people are friendly.

We moved in just as the new manager was taking over so we didn't really see how bad it was before but I have to say we have had a positive experience for the last two months. The manager is really on top of things. She is very friendly and if there is an issue with the room or services she gets them resolved VERY quickly and you feel very welcome to voice your concerns.

The hotel staff is also wonderful. They have ALWAYS been friendly and are willing to go the extra mile as needed to give you the best possible experience around. I would very much recommend this place to anyone who was looking to stay in town. We really do feel at home for now.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Detroit – Madison Heights. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again.
Madison Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My husband and I had been traveling to this property on and off throughout 2011 because we have family who live relativity close to the hotel, it was always convenient to pick this location but not always pleasant. Since the new year, (and new management), this hotel has gone through a lot of wonderful changes! Let me start by saying this hotel is a little older and the decor reeks of late 80's early 90's, which is misleading because the home website's pictures for this property is far from the actual experience and I'm pretty sure are actually pictures from another hotel in the chain. Don't let this stop you from staying. During this stay, entering the room our noses were graced with the smell of fresh linen. Amazing! Our previous stays we wouldn't even sleep under the blankets! We would sleep on top and bring our own blankets and pillows. Since the new year we have been leaving the blankets and pillows at home. This hotel has gone through intense improvements in the cleanliness department! Weather its the new manager or if they have new staff, I'm unsure. Whatever it may be I urge them to keep up the good work and we will keep coming. To all other's contemplating staying at this hotel, go for it! The front desk staff is always pleasant and even a breath of fresh air after a long drive or flight. Brittany and Hillary in particular seem to be there for us, the guests. If we ever needed anything or if there was an issue with our room they made us feel well cared for and even at home! This hotel is affordable and the staff is wonderful. They will do whatever they can to make you feel comfortable and welcome. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the building in the short hallway tend to be a bit quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Detroit - Madison Heights. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way," and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were freash and had an inviting feeling about them.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights? Share your experiences!