“The Twlight Zone of This Hotel Chain” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Madison Heights
Detroit, Michigan
“The Twlight Zone of This Hotel Chain”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I recently stayed at the Extended StayAmerica Detroit-Madison Heights on October 28, 2008 because I needed a room for my son. I took him to the Detroit Zoo's Annual "Zoo Boo" and needed a place a little close to get him out of the cold. I was going to do the Red Roof Inn. However, they wanted $61 for a room with a small refrigerator and microwave. Therefore, I decided to do the Extended StayAmerica Detroit-Madison Heights because it was a bit cheaper and you get a kitchen.

Cheap doesn't begin to describe this hotel. When I checked in; The customer service person didn't even ask if I wanted the internet nor did she inform me of check out time. I was in such a rush to get my son into his costume and get back out that I didn't notice a lot of the stuff until that night when we returned or the next day. The toilet tissue roll in the bathroom was broken so it didn't hold the toilet tissue up and it kept falling to the floor. The pillows on the bed were so flat that I ended up having to stick towels inside the pillow case just to get that comfort I was searching for. The bed seem to have been sunken down and could have been broken, which I didn't notice until I tried to sleep and the next morning. The A/C in the room did not work at all. It kept cutting off and I found it difficult to sleep as I needed the background noise to sleep.

The next morning, I discovered the dresser was a total and utterly mess. The cosmetics on it was horrifying, it's was all torn up and beat up. The microwave in the room didn't seem to work I had to warm up food at least 10 times just to get it to the desire temperature. When I opened the microwave there was a dirty plate in the microwave. When I went to make coffee the coffee brewer was already filled with a previous pack of coffee that housekeeping hadn't even dumped out. When I went to give my son a bath, the bath stopper switch didn't want to work and the hot water didn't work either. This was a horrible hotel experience as I have stayed at other chains for this hotel and have had no issues. The only reason I would ever stay here again is if I was in a really bad bind and Red Roof Inn didn't have any rooms available.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dru_travels_alot
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

I was really surprised by the state of this hotel when we showed up. I was not expecting frills for the $70 a night we paid however I was expecting the basics. The wireless internet I paid an extra $4.99 a night for didn't work. The hallways smelled of burned food people were cooking in their rooms and looked dirty and unwelcoming. We called the front desk to ask if they had shampoo and were told they did not provide any amenities. When I went out to my car to drive to get some random men were sitting in their vehicles loitering in the parking lot and I actually felt unsafe. When I went to check out in the morning I was informed the front desk staff had not showed up yet so I had to wait until someone got there to check out. Not what I expected from the brand name. Steer clear of this one!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Madison Heights hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

Need to hire a cleaning staff that care about their job and take pride in their work .need better management staff someone who knows how to manage .

• Stayed June 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We had a reservation to stay here while visiting family in the area during the 4th of July weekend. The bathroom sink had hair in it and did not look like it had been cleaned. There was hair on the sheets. My husband checked his coffee cup before pouring his coffee and it felt all sticky and scummy. The thing that really turned me off was the sheets and pillows had that old, stale smell and I couldn't get that smell out of my head. We had a reservation for three nights, but moved next door after staying only one night. On a positive note, the ladies who worked at the desk both in the evening and morning could not have been nicer. They were very helpful and friendly. This is the first time I have written a bad review on a hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
royal oak michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean and spacious.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2006

Let me start by saying that the staff here are very courtious and friendly. It is close to shopping, with grocery stores and resturants close by. Near I 75 and between 13 Mile and 14 Mile roads makes it easy to get where ever you need to be in the area. Traffic noise doesn't really bother me, but if you are affected by the humm of the highway be aware that you will heare it all night long. It appears to be in a really safe area, which is a big plus for a woman traveling alone. I travel on business and don't really have any say as to where my company books my rooms. I stayed here on three consective weeks in three different rooms. Each stay, there was a different cleanliness issue. The first time the bathroom was not as clean as it should have been, the second time the cleaning staff had neglected to change the bed linens and the third time, the dishes and microwave were in serious need of soaking and scrubbing. In all other respects the place was quite clean, and the hallways and elevator were immaculate. I assume that it is possible they are currently short staffed or have inexperenced cleaning staff which lead to things being overlooked. It is a shame, because in the future given a choice I would not stay here.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights? Share your experiences!