“"Very Pleasant Staff"” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Whitewater, Wisconsin
“"Very Pleasant Staff"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn, Hamilton Inn and the Ramada Inn in Mackinaw City. The staff at the Clarion are the BEST! Understanding and they want your stay to be pleasant, unlike the Ramada Inn. When we arrived at the Ramada Inn to find the room that we had reserved was already occupied, we said we would stay one night (had reserved 4 nights). Called the Clarion and spoke with Dave. He reserved a room for us and was very understanding of our situation. The room we had at the Clarion was the best room we've had in Mackinaw City. The view of the Bridge and the Grand Hotel was fantastic! The breakfast area was spacious and the food was better than the previous mentioned motels. Definitely will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Stanton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I went around 3:30 to see if I could check in early. They checked me in but said my room wouldn't be ready till about 4:30. So I went and did some shopping while I waited got back around 5 just to be safe. Got my room keys and headed to my room. The room was big and very well cleaned. Bathroom was on the small size but the jacuzzi tub made up for that. The only bad parts about my stay were that I'm on the short size so climbing out of the jacuzzi tub was a bit of a challenge and the bed was not very comfy and I didn't go to break fast because of the location of the room. Other than those minor things I really enjoyed my stay

• Stayed October 2012
Traverse City, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

PROS: Newer sheets, comfortable bed and firm pillows. Clean room. Plentiful breakfast with lots of seating. Large flat screen TV in rooms. Check-out was quick.
CONS: Pool and whilrpool was enclosed, but you have to walk across the parking lot, and in cold weather it is not comfortable. Noise from rooms on either side of us, as well as footsteps in room above us. People were slamming their doors. All rooms have exterior doors. Pet policy not enforced. Breakfast room was on second floor, and very cool temperature inside, with a VERY small flat screen TV in an enormous room. Check-in was slow. No TV channel line-up card provided, and took us quite some time to find there was HBO, as no schedule was left on the first night. There was shiny black tile in the bathroom (a cramped area with a toilet and shower) and where the sink was. Very slippery and someday a possible lawsuit with a slip & fall could occur.
COMMENTS:We would stay there again only in a pinch. We feel the cons outweigh the pros at this hotel. We feel the difference in a Friday rate ($66) and a Saturday rate ($94) is not worth it as we could not use the pool because of the cold, and the HBO problem.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Westminster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We booked 2Queen bed with lakefront balcony. Super clean, beds are comfortable. Great view of the water. Substantial hot breakfast. This is the best place to stay before and after your trip to the island!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a lakefront balcony!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Booked this hotel in an offer and is fairly pleased with the visit. I got a 2 queen bed room for 2 nights at a very cheap rate. I was really worried about the hotel as the price I got was very less so I was not expecting a very good service and amenities. However check-in was fast, and they gave me room within a few minutes even after I came quite earlier than the check in time. The room was spacious, clean and had all amenities. It had a large nice TV, Fridge etc.The location is also good only 2 minutes drive from central avenue and the Shepler's ferry.The hotel had a nice private beach which I liked the most. Overall nice experience, will go again if I get a chance.

Room Tip: Room close to the beach are nice.
Millau, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

First room we were given was not accessible as workmen were doing something with the plumbing. Second room acceptable but in need of a thorough clean. Breakfast was substantial and quite tasty. Close enough to downtown to be able to work comfortablky.

Pottsville, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I booked this stay based on TripAdvisor reviews and found it to be fairly decent. The check-in was easy enough and the desk staff was quite friendly and accommodating. The property was nice and we received a room on the first floor. We were able to find a parking spot just outside our room which was very convenient considering it was raining at the time The room was clean and comfortable but a bit cramped for me. There was a queen bed and a fold-out bed. The fold-out was a bit low so we chose the queen to sleep on. There was adequate space on one side but the side against the wall was quite narrow. The bed was comfortable for the night. The bathroom was large enough but not generous. We went searching for the ice machine and finally found it in a dimly lit alcove outside the fitness/pool building. There were a lot of families rolling in and we thought it would be a noisy night. This was not the case. Things were relatively quiet during the night. The one annoying thing was the door to the room. It was very difficult to close, requiring it to be slammed several times. We were not the only ones who had this problem because we heard doors slamming in other parts of the building. In the morning, we made our way to breakfast on the second floor. There was quite a crowd. There were several hot choices along with cereal and breads. There was fruit available, but it appeared that it was canned fruit cocktail. The toasters were continuously occupied making this the bottleneck with people standing around waiting for there items. The food wasn't the best but was okay for a complimentary breakfast. After getting our food, it was a challenge to find a table. We sat down as another couple got up. The staff was too busy trying to keep up with food to get out and clean off tables. This was the least expensive lodging on our trip. We plan to return to Mackinaw City, but I may look for something else when we do.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel Beachfront? Share your experiences!