“Excellent for a second time! No mold, no bed bugs, clean & wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Beachfront

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Clare, MI
“Excellent for a second time! No mold, no bed bugs, clean & wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed here with my family a few years ago and now we have a new addition and have returned as I promised in my previous review from that time. Once again, I was impressed with this place and have no real complaints. There are always some minor things that happen, but nothing that merits a real complaint. If you want a lakefront room, you HAVE to book a "lakefront" room, just like the other reviewer said. There seem to be complaints about this as if it's the hotel's fault. It's the fault of the person booking not paying attention, not the hotel. And like another reviewer said, if you're reserving online go to clarionhotel.com not priceline or hotwire. The rooms are cheaper and more accurate if you book directly through the hotel itself. I couldn't agree more with this advice!!

Check-in was fairly quick, only held up by the receptionist trying to accommodate my request of an "upper level room please" that I filled in online when making my reservation. She couldn't find any ready (at the 4pm check-in time) on the top floor, so offered me the 3rd floor, which was fine. I just didn't want the 1st floor, I wanted a view. And a view I got. Wow does it help when you arrive on a sunny afternoon with a lake front room, upon entering the room you're greeted to the shades opened and a fantastic view of the blue-green water & sky through the latticed windows. Beautiful!

Beds were comfortable, with 4 pillows each. Although the covers felt a bit thin, there were extra blankets in the closet. The AC unit is just about the right amount of white noise and did a great job at cooling the room. The beds were supposed to be queen and maybe they were, but they seemed a bit narrow for queen. They could have been double. I don't know. They were nice though. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The shower head needed replaced. It was and adjustable one, and it leaked, I couldn't get all the water to come out in the stream, a lot of it just 'fell' out straight down. This led to a slightly low pressure experience. But it wasn't the end of the world. I'm used to my giant high pressure one at home.

The room was nice, although some furnishings are showing some wear. The carpet under the armoire entertainment center (which housed a nice 40"? 42"? LCD TV) was grey, the vacuum wand hadn't been under there in some time. Otherwise our room was very clean and welcoming. The fridge was TINY. The freezer part of the fridge was about the size of half a loaf of bread, nestled in the upper corner of the fridge. The microwave was small but adequate. I like the nightstand that sits between the beds. Granite top? It sure seemed like it. Nice!
The balcony was nice too. Only a couple small spider webs, but nothing that you wouldn't expect or that would be a turn off. The view of the Arnold ferry dock a few hundred yards out is kind of cool, especially for the kids to see the boats coming & going. The beach is nice, sandy, and there are generally plenty of lounge chairs to go around, even some tables and a trash can for convenience. The water is very nice too, it stays quite shallow a long way out- perfect for smaller kids.

The breakfast room is located on the southernmost building on the second level. An easy walk and it's covered in case it's raining. It's large, but it needs to be. In peak season it is BUSY. To the staff's credit, the food is kept quite well-stocked. Scrambled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits & gravy, and make-your-own waffles are the hot selections. There's also cereal, a milk machine, and variety of juice machine, and of course coffee with a creamer machine. There's even an upper balcony for overflow seating. The only real complaint about the breakfast room is the serving line is in the same short hallway where folks enter & exit. This creates quite a traffic jam full of "oh- excuse me"s. And to matters worse, when food deliveries occur (which they did on our stay) the boxes of GFS products seem to get stacked either right there in that same short hallway or right outside the door- either way creating that much more of a traffic jam. Minor. The food tastes good. And there's plenty of it.

Arnold ferry dock is right there, you don't need to drive you can walk through the parking lot if you're visiting the island. Unless you want a different ferry, but Arnold's catamarans are quite fast and smooth, and they all cost the same.

I did not use the pool or fitness room, which are located in the center (or island-like) building on the property. We also did not take advantage of the two waterparks you get free access to. One is bigger for kids 8+ and the other is for all ages. I don't believe the bigger one was around 3 years ago on our previous stay.

On the morning we checked out I was planning to get a small bag of ice for our cooler stuff for the way home, but the machine on the lakeside building was out. A short time later I seen the maintenance worker with a ladder working on it. I heard him telling another guest it was about the third time this summer he's had to work on that machine, and why can't they get a newer machine for peak summer season like this. I would have to agree. The money they must be raking in should allow them to get a better more dependable ice machine.

All in all, you have to expect some little glitches here and there. But our room was as ordered, very clean, and I was happy. I didn't expect luxury or I would have went to the Grand. But it was 3 notches above most Super 8s or Days Inns I've ever stayed in.

I'll be back. This just might become our "place" for our Mackinaw vacations.

Room Tip: Book a lake front room in the room description if that's what you want. If it doesn't say it...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

As we arrived our room was being prepared for us (there were several other guests who could not check in due to their rooms not being ready at check in time after 4:00pm).
We waited outside our room only to witness one of your employees (an older caucasian woman) take her lunch into the room we were about to occupy and eat it in front of us while the other maids cleaned.
The room was dirty - hair in the tub and bathroom floor, dresser surfaces were all sticky and dirty, towels were not folded in any order and the sheets smelled as if they had been slept in before.
The toilet was not secured to the floor of the bathroom.
There were bed bugs in the bed - I went to bed without bites and woke up with over 9 on my legs.

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Don't be fooled by the word beachfront!! Only about a third (if that) of this hotel is beachfront. The beach that is there is beachlike but far from being a real beach.

The people at the front desk had a crappy attitude the 2 times I went there to deal with them. Once we got to the room it was like a dark cave. The carpet was so dark it made the room feel unwelcoming and cavernous. All I can say was that it was good that we did not spend much time in the room. It was a place to lay our heads for the time we were in Mackinac.

Northville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Really enjoyed the beautiful view from the balcony. Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Very nice breakfast. The staff was very friendly. Dave was very accomadating with our reservation. They even moved our luggage to another room for us due to the room being booked. I left my bag in the breakfast room and a staff member brought it down as I was leaving the parking lot. My son left his favorite pillow in the room and they were nice enough to mail it to us.

• Stayed August 2012
Woodland Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed her 2 nights in a family suite. The room was very comfortable and clean. The front office staff were not overly friendly and at times ignored you. The beach is clean, but the water in front of the hotel has some algae and slimy feel at the bottom. The breakfast buffet is standard. The location was OK, but I would have preferred something within walking distance of town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

It's very hard to find a hotel/suite in Mackinaw that is not over priced with good quality/service. Mackinaw is over priced because they only have a good few months to work with. Hotel prices drop atleast $50 in the fall.

Service - Clarion has great customer service that took their time with my family.

Room size - We got a room with 2 beds, 2 bathrooms, and each was seperated by a door for the bedrooms but one door to exit both rooms together. Room 1 - There was a coffee maker, large flat screen, bed, bathroom, sink. Joined Room 2 - There was a large flat screen, bed, bathroom, sink, microwave, mini fridge. Seperate AC/Heater in each room, and window. We had first floor not facing the lake.

Room service - The ladies were very nice. The only reason I didn't give five star is because I wish the carpet in the rooms felt cleaner. Bring slippers. The corners of the rooms need to be vacumed. The towels need to be washed in better detergent because they didn't smell fresh or feel as fresh as I've usually had. Same with bedding.

Breakfast - Skip it. I only ate one sausage and a little bit of scrambled eggs. Bring a banana and yogurt or eat at a local restaurant. It was just too greasy and generic tasting.

Eat at Pancake Chef. They have a buffet and menu and their service is fantastic and food is 4 out of 5.

Would I stay here again? Maybe. It cost around $150 for the room that we paid around $100 for a month later last year. It's one of the few best you can get in this city. But we love Mackinaw and come every year.

Room Tip: If you can get lake view it makes the room better worth it. Bring a spray sanitizer to spray down th...
North Ridgeville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel was nice. I liked that my room was close to the breakfast room - otherwise I perhaps would not have liked it soo much. The pool is seperate from the hotel which was nice. The rooms were nice and clean. They smelled a little musty though. Some of the front desk staff were not so excited to be working but still did their job. Computers were in good working condition - coffee was always ready. The price was a little high, the neighbors upstairs a little loud (not the hotels fault - but why can't they do something about the noise?)...The room was a little cramped. Lobby a little small.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel Beachfront? Share your experiences!