“Our 5th return to Clarion Mackinaw City” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Chicago, Illinois
“Our 5th return to Clarion Mackinaw City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

This is the 5th year in a row we have stayed at the Clarion Beachfront room. The view is breathtaking you can see Mackinac Island from your room, the rooms are clean, the complimentary breakfast has everything for every indiviudal whether you like sweet food, healthy food, or hearty good. The Arnold Ferry Llne to Mackinac Island is next door, walking distance, which makes for an easy access . The hotel is located in Mackinaw City, it's a short walk to the downtown shops and restaurants. We love it here!

Room Tip: We like the beachfront rooms at the Clarion, I think any room in the beachfront is great
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Auburn Hills, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Although this hotel is priced similar to others in the area, it is overpriced for the ammenities and age of the facility. The room was clean but very dated and the walls were not insulated for sound very well. The staff was my biggest dissapointment. After seeing the property, I decided I didn't want to stay more than one day so I gave 24 hrs notice I wanted to cancel the rest of my stay. They looked up my record and told me I could not cancel because I payed in advance by charge card! I have no idea how that would matter but would advise anyone not to pay in advance in case you do not like the facilities. Also the first morning I was awakened to the alarm clock in the room nextdoor where the guests had apparently left the room. I called the desk after 20 minutes to ask to have someone turn off the alarm and was told they were alone at the desk and it would be ten minutes before they could send someone. They eventually arrived 30 minutes after I called. It is a very large hotel and the breakfast room was two buildings over and seating was very limited for the number of rooms this hotel has. One of the staff was emptying garbage containers AND refilling the syrup containers at the same time! Yuck! You could do much better with the vast choices in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Casper, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed at this hotel during our visit to Mackinac island. The staff was wonderful from the minute I walked in the door to the checkout. They were not only friendly and helpful, but they were able to help us sort out our many options for the area in terns of food, entertainment and transportation to the island.

The property is well kept and attractive. The room was huge and had every accommodation we needed. It was very clean and had a great view of the lake. The kids especially enjoyed the private beach. The indoor pool was really large for a hotel pool and deeper than most.

If there was any down side it would have been the breakfast. We have stayed in many hotels that provide a free breakfast so we have many with which to compare. The "fresh" fruit was actually canned or frozen cocktail of some sort and there wasn't any oatmeal or hot cereal options. This is actually small potatoes compared to the overall experience.

In all I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone traveling to the area. There are many from which to choose so it is not as if one had to stay here for lack of options.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a lake view, but if you can book in advance you should be able to get one.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Grand Rapids
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed at the Claion Hotel for a nice weekend getaway with our children.
* From the moment we arrived we were disappointed. They said we would have a beachfront room, and our view was the parking lot. When we asked if we had a beachfront room, we were told you can see the beach from your room. * The wireless internet did not work. * We requested extra towels for the pool, and 3.5 hours later still did not have the towels. * Some of the lights were not working. When we talked to the manager, he said we are very busy and it's hard to keep up with all the business. The manager was very rude. For the amount of money we spent they should have had a little remorse. This hotel gives Mackinac City a black eye. Mackinac is a wonderful place to visit. Staying at a Clarion or Comfort Suites Hotel is not so wonderful!! We should have camped instead!!!!

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I booked this hotel back in April for my vacation in July with my husband and the kids. Outstanding service, extremely clean room, fridge, microwave, nice pool area and hot tub, laundry facilities. Beach was clean and lots of fun!
A bit of a walk to downtown Mackinaw but not really bad at all. Within walking distance to the Arnold Ferry Service - received great service from them too! Best vacation I have ever had! Thank you Clarion!!!!

Room Tip: We had a parking lot side room - not too busy, slept through any noise.
Middleville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

After reading some reviews on this property I was reserved when we arrived. However, my family of 6 loved the hotel. The room is a little small but had 1 king bed in a room and 2 queen beds in another with a bathroom adjoining. It was clean and nicely decorated. I will say it is not a traditional hotel but rather a motel since the entrances to the room are on the outside of the building. The pool was warm and the kids enjoyed it thoroughly. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The online website had less expensive rates than when called.
Holt, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

When we went to check in (almost an hour after their check in time) everyone in the lobby was being told their rooms weren't ready. We were lucky and they switched us to another room but the couple next to us were waiting for a suite and were being told it was going to be another 40 minutes! All they would say was, "Sorry, we had a full house last night." Our room was very small and had cobwebs all over it. The carpet was discolored from the amount of dust! The parking is a nightmare.....not many spaces and very tight. The beach was a mess with towels and bottles all over that still were not cleaned up when we left at 9 the next morning. Breakfast was horrible. I couldn't even identify what half of the fruit was, eggs were gross. I will say though that other than the occasional door slamming, our room was quiet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Hotel Beachfront? Share your experiences!