“Not Satisfied Overall” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
New Ulm, Minnesota
“Not Satisfied Overall”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2005

We stayed on 9/15-9/18 which is near the end of the tourist season for the city.

Plus's: Rooms were clean and well appointed (fridge, TV, nice overall). Breakfast was excellent, and pool/jacuzzi was a nice amenity. Were allowed to use the breakfast room for a get together one evening.

Negatives:
I know weddings are a pain in the rear, but my new wife and I booked multiple rooms for multiple nights and were paying for it ourselves for out of town guests. The front desk was continuously confused about what to do when people arrived (give them their room key?????). We couldn't get the room keys to distribute before they arrived. The hotel was somewhat empty, but rooms weren't ready at 2PM (granted check in was at 3PM) even though ample information/requests were given. NUMEROUS phone calls to verify reservations were fouled up and panic inducing. The end of the tourist season seemed to coincide with the lackadaisical service.
Also, all of the chain hotels are run by the same management group in the off-season. We booked in May (just before the tourist season started), and learned that negotiating (needed 10 rooms for 2 nights, plus a few more for a 3rd night) was somewhat fruitless. These hoteliers seem to know that they have a monopoly, and the independents around there have to overcharge to keep up, it seems.

Would strongly recommend St. Ignace for staying at. Nice town, good food, hotels seem more organized and more flexible. We would have done this but for a semi-truck show that takes over the town in late September every year.

• Stayed September 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

Wife and I just got back from a 5 day stay at the Quality Inn in Mackinaw City. Found the hotel to be as advertised, with very clean spacious rooms and a good view of Lake Huron. Used the pool 3 different times and had it all to ourselves. The free morning breakfast was a good deal and we took advantage every day of our stay. Found Mackinaw area beautiful, and had plenty to see and do each day. Overall would highly reccomend if you are looking for a relaxing vacation and not wanting to spend a whole lot of money.

• Stayed October 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WASN'T GOING TO BE GOOD WHEN SHE PUT ME ON HOLD TO SEE IF SHE COULD GET ME A "BETTER" PRICE...It felt like the car dealer going back to his manager...

I was initially quoted $158 per night (2 Queen beds, not lakeside). When I mentioned the Hampton Inn had a $99 special that same weekend she asked me to hold on and "see what see could do". She dropped the price to $128 and mentioned the free tickets to the largest water park in Mackinaw. We have small children and I thought this was a great deal. I booked for 3 days.

We arrived at the hotel which looked nice enough. It is apparent that the intial 1 story hotel was built about 50+ years ago, and they later added a second 4-story building on the beach within the last few years.

We were given a room in the 1 story section, which I thought would be nice since we had small children and didn't want to deal with stairs. Upon entering the dark and musty room with BEDS THAT LITERALLY SWAYED IN THE MIDDLES we were grossed out and immediately wanted to leave. The front desk said they could show us the only rooms they had left which were a lakeside 2-room suite--of course this room would cost $60/night extra.

The 2 room suite was small with only 1 queen bed and the other was a sofa sleeper. It did have a nice view of the bridge and lake, but most importantly, the bed had about 20 years less use than the former room!

I would never pay over $200 per night for this room! It was worth $120 at best! At this point though, we were literally caught, because with a 3 day minimum cancellation policy they were going to charge us $300 if we left.

NET, NET, WE ENDED UP PAYING over $430 TO STAY AT A MEDIOCRE HOTEL WHEN WE WERE QUOTED $287!!! We were very disappointed and will never stay there again.

In addition, I have read other reviews, and I must agree, these hotels, and Mackinaw city in general, are completely misleading in their marketing and are overpriced!!

AS I READ MORE AND MORE OF THESE NEGATIVE REVIEWS I SEE PRICES DROPPING IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS...as folks with bad experiences will simply stop going:

* The beach pictures on the net look great, in reality, it is not a sandy clean beach, but full of weeds in many places and not very nice.
* It may be the largest water park in Makinaw, but don't get too excited!!The water park was ok for our kids ages 2 & 3. Any older they would be dissappointed. They also don't tell you that 6 HOTELS OFFER THE FREE WATER PARK AND THERE ARE NO LIFEGUARDS!! In addition, you have to drive to get there!! It is a very small & busy place for 6 hotels worth of guests.
* The coupon book is a waste of time -- when a hotel needs to offer you a coupon book, look out!!

In general Makinaw City is a bunch of old hotels with minimal updates trying to charge resort prices!! Unless you get a GREAT deal, SKIP it!

Stayed August 2005
saginaw, mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

We had an island view room . Room is clean but needs some remodelling, a little bit outdated. Bathroom is small and had a very noisy fan. Nice clean beach, very close to restaurants, shops and to the dock area to go to Mackinaw Island.

Complimentary breakfast is great. Having a hot, good breakfast to start the day is wonderful. Pool is clean, however, it is located on a separate building.
The day that we were there was cold and windy, we have to bring our towel and clothes to change by the restroom inside the pool area.

will come back again but will get a balcony room.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

Good stay, however on Sept 9 2005 I left a jacket there in Room 28 I have made three long distance calls and I have yet to make another one to check with the maid. Why cannot they have a Lost & Found Dept where everyone of the staff can access it. These calls cost me money. I still have to call tomorrow Sept13, to see if it is there. Why do they not have a Toll Free Number. Other than this the location is wonderful. Can you please reply to me about the jacket.
Pat

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

The beachfront photo on the hotel's website is not accurate. There is actually a wetland there, and only a small patch of sandy beach. Did someone airbrush that beach in on that photo?

The breakfast that came with the hotel package was mediocre at best. The sausage was pure pig fat, the biscuits were as hard as hockey pucks, and the fruit provided for the fruit cup was unrecognizable except for the pineapple. We weren't sure if the scrambled eggs were actually chicken eggs -- they tasted a bit weird. But, the coffee was pretty good and always fresh.

Customer service and courtesy were hit and miss. The people in the lobby were very nice to us, but I happen to witness a family whose things were being booted out at 9 a.m. way before the 10 a.m. checkout time. Several websites list this place as having an 11 a.m. checkout time, but that is not the case. It is 10 a.m. Apparently the issue got resolved, but still, what is up with the cleaning people kicking guests out at 9 a.m.? The people who were working in the breakfast room were quite friendly and very polite. I give them 5 stars. The rest get 2.

The "indoor" pool is actually in a building separate from the other buildings. That meant we had to run through pouring rain to get to the "indoor" pool. The pool also was missing a rope separating the shallow from the deep end of the pool. Parents of kids who don't know how to swim better keep a veeerrrry close eye on their children.

Our room was nicely kept and very clean. We had a wonderful view of Mackinac Island and Lake Huron from our balcony. The aforementioned "beach" was disappointing. That is what I'm sure we were really paying for -- the view. But as far as the quality of everything else, well, there is room for improvement.

• Stayed August 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2005

I preauthorized room rates for the three nights I stayed. Upon checking out I was notified for a rate change that I was supposed to have signed for. The document in questions appears to have been altered after I approved the rates on my check-in document. I was required to wait 45 minutes for the manager to show-up at 8:45 in the morning. I can not advise going to this motel. In fact by its location to all of Mackinaw and the cheesey room I would suggest not staying (the old rooms have not been replaced rather remodeled and it smelled dank).

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront? Share your experiences!