“Worst Place I ever Stayed” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Worst Place I ever Stayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

We looked over all the selections carefullly. We decided based on price, description and pictures online to choose this Hotel. We pulled in to see an old house with an "add on " modern office and seating area" as the lobby and eating area.The first Hotel rooms were what I remember from about 1960's in the traditional "L" shape. I thought surely this is the old part and the pics are from the ones on the waterfront. We did book the courtyard side so we expected to be the ones overlooking the parking lot, that would have not been any problem. The staff was courteous and handed us the keys and told us were were just footsteps away. We looked at one another and found our reservations were in the "old" 1960'ish courtyard rooms. Ok we parked our car and gathered our bags and opened the door to our room. No kidding we stepped in put our bags down and in front of us two steps was the bed, one side of the bed enough for one person to get in the other side one table and enough room to get into bed. We both looked at each other thinking it reminded us of the "movie featuring the Bates Motel". The room is about the size of a larger bedroom in an average house. We had trouble finding the air conditioner but closed the bathroom door to find a wall unit behind the door and not the best at cooling down the small room. We looked in the bathroom, my mothers house built in 1956 has very similiar tile. The bathtub caulk was orange and black in spots noting mold and mildew had set in and was seperating from the wall. There was what we took as black mold on the ceiling and wall paper. The shower head had lime deposits on it and the bathtub several rings in the tub already. We overlooked this and decided to take a shower and go to dinner. Well the water didn't drain, so trying to stay clean as the tub filled up was a challenge. With the small bathroom (room for one) and no fan we opened the "crank" window complete with spiders and spiderwebs and shows no sign of recent cleaning(the privacy of the window was secured with self stick "no see paper" that didn't quit cover the entire window. We then decided to sit on the back deck for a few minutes while deciding where to eat. The plastic chairs are old and filthy and not to mention the back side of the deck, it has not been washed in a long, long time. We told the desk about the drain in the bathtub (Sorry would have gone a long way) but ("thanks for bringing it to our attention). We went out for dinner and returned to see if we were too critical. Nope we were right the first time . We opened the curtains which brought light into the room, to show us the spills on the wall, "hooks" still in the wall from a previous painting, badly scratched furniture, filthy carpet and curtains from about 1960's in style. The place was just greatly misrepresented. We also noted that there were no GFI breakers in the bathroom, the lighting was so bad we could hardly read the paper at night. The carpet was dark and dirty. The "in room refrigerator and coffee maker" was all on top of a hand made mini wooden platform which was basically on top of a piece of 3/4 inch plywood stained to give the appearance of wood. I asked my partner is he wanted some coffee, he looked and said "your kidding". The ceiling had several water spots on it and one about the size of basketball. The slider to the deck needs to be cleaned or replaced its filthy. We got up in the morning for the free hot breakfast . Not all products are kept at 141 degrees that we ate so anything not hot we didn't eat. We know this Quality Inn clearly misrepresented itself both online and in person. We are both pretty mellow but candidly this is the worst place we have ever stayed at in our lives, and by far the dirtiest. Quality Inn's reputation has been dampened by this one in Mackinaw City.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Richmond, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

This was the worst place we have ever stayed at. My husband travels for work and we go on vacation 1-2 times year, so we have a lot of comparison. The place smelled badly. The walls were yellow. The ceiling had yellow stains on it. There was a big crack in the wall. We were suppose to have a lake front review and the only thing we could see was a big pine tree when we looked out our balcony doors. When we walked out of the balcony doors the screen door fell off. My husband had to fix it himself. The pool was suppose to be heated, it was not.

I would never recommend this place to anyone. It was horrible.
We try to get our money back and the manager refused. They said we had to give a 24 hour cancellation notice. To me there is a big difference between cancellation and customer satisfaction. I work in customer service, so I understand this.

We also contacted the Mackinaw City Chamber of Tourism the night we checked in [--]. We talked to someone and he said he would look into it and call us back. He never did. We cut our vacation short because of this. We will never return to Mackinaw City.

I hope everyone else has better luck then us!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Customer Service and the room quality
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

My family and I stayed one night in this hotel. The room was filthy. The beds were hard and uncomfortable. The manager and staff were so unfriendly. The room smelled so bad and moist after the weird air freshener dissipated. My daughter who has allergies kept coughing all night that we had to cancel our trip and go back home because of her condition.

Still the manager refused to refund our second night that we had booked but never used. She even got very rude with us. Any way, I would not recommend this hotel, especially for a family, and for people who have allergies to moist places. The smell was just horrible...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The overall quality of the room and hotel in general was way too bad
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Clio, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

This hotel wasn't the worst or the best of the places I have stayed at. My main complain was all the nats that were everywhere. When we first arrived I thought that it was because the hotel wasn't clean but I soon realized that every place we went to had nats everywhere. Apparently they get a lot up north. When we arrived and checked in, the staff was extremely nice. We had booked through expedia and when our booking went through to the hotel we were placed in a more expensive room. When she told me the total- I said that wasn't the price we had booked it for. I gave her my information and we ended up paying the price I had and got a free upgrade to a waterfront room because of the issue. I didn't even have to complain to get it! hehe I was a little worried when we arrived because I had read all the negative reviews.. but when we entered our room I was actually surprised. The rooms were spacious, clean, the beds were comfortable. They had feather pillows and although I don't like those my husband loves them. We had nice blankets and I never had a problem with them room.

I do agree with people when they complain about not having enough staff because- we were there for 3 nights and everyday we only seen 1 person cleaning the rooms. We weren't there during a busy time- so our rooms were always cleaned, new towels and stuff but had they been busy- they wouldn't of been. They do need to clean the balconys though. Not only were there nats but also spiderwebs and stuff because they hadn't been cleaned in a while.

They also have bonfires at night. They have a hot breakfast. Everything was pretty good. I never went away full. They had plenty to choose from: cereal, bread and bagels, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, waffle mix, fruits, fruit salad mix, muffins, juice, coffee...there are enough things there for everyone to find something.

There is a free shuttle to the ferry's and it will pick you up from your room or near your building if you request it. It is walking distance to many places..its a little farther than some of the hotels but its not bad. It probably takes about 10 minutes to get to the main shopping area and stuff if you walk casually.

• Liked — the location of the hotel, the price
  • Disliked — the pool water was to cold, and the hot tub water was warm but not hot at all
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kalamazoo, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

We booked our stay through the hotel's website. It showed a nice, 4-story beachfront hotel. Upon check-in, the clerk pointed across the parking lot to an old, "motor lodge" style building and told us our room was over there. Funny how this part of the "inn and suites" is not shown or mentioned in the website. We had to pay for an upgrade to stay in the building shown in the ads, which still was a huge disappointment. It is a Motel, not Hotel. All rooms open to an outside hallway. Our room smelled musty and smoky, despite claiming to be a non-smoking room. We tried to cancel our stay, only to be bluntly told by the front desk clerk that we would still be charged for it because they have a 72-hour cancellation policy! Our confirmation email said 24-hours. Also, we had to trek across the parking lot if we wanted ice or vending machines. This is my second bad experience at a Quality Inn -- they are not true to their name. Never again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Being deceived by the advertising
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago , IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

I should have read everything about the hotel. Instead I was hoping that they would fix or change things. I was not aware that they were privately owned and also called Aqua grand mackinaw inn and water park. I Have never had any problems with choice privileges hotels. Even had a great stay at econo lodge and days inn. Would much have rather been there. They only showed photos of the back of the building. So when we get there we pass it up because its a motel.. Then realize thats were we are staying.. Not in a hotel but Motel.. Ok so lets give this a shot.. I walk in and there is another couple arguing over a room move a room change and how they were being charged different prices then told.. There goes the red flag but we go.. even before we checked in I wanted to wait.. something just did not feel right.

So We go to our rooms.. after she finally gets the right keys.. we try to open the door and cant.. someone from the inside dead bolted the lock up top. WE get her try to explain she says there is no way that could happen the keys were bad. So we showed her. She said again no way it could have happened. WE asked if there were a joining rooms.. They cleaned the one and went out the other side. Mind you this is on the second floor.She just kept saying it was impossible no matter how many times we showed her. So after 45 minutes of this she trys to get us into another room.. Key cards dont work. She goes down and goes and gets more than after another 15 min because she cant remember what key cards went were we get in our room. Another bad feeling. The room looks nasty.. Small room nasty chair.. the beds did not look cleaned did not smell clean.. was just very nasty. After fighting with finacee about going to a different one Comfort inn across the street that we have never had problems with.. he said he would try. The price was the same.. for a beach front view and all that good stuff.. That way we did not have to go to one place for breakfast one place to swim..

SO I go down and argue they said that we would have to pay for two nights even though we were there for one if we wanted to move to a different chain.. I brought up the sign on the wall that says if we cant make you 100% happy you do not pay for your room. She then suggests a suite thats 90 dollars more a day.. but we would pay nothing. it has a king bed and a sofa bed. I explain that my step daughter can not sleep on a sofa bed.. even if it has a kitchen net. Shes like well there is nothing else we can do.

SO we go out to dinner to discuses this whole situation and my not paying attention to other reviews and decide to go with the sofa bed. My daughter wanted to be in anything else but that room since it was so nasty.. I even called choice privileges and they said that they could have voided out everything and we could have gone to comfort in but would not do it.. they make up excuses. SO I went back in and said ok we will take that room . She tells me that room is not available anymore.. Its gone.. Im like in a hour.. ok . Then she says ok we will put you in a different two queen bed room.. Ok another problem.. Our room that we WERE in and using was no longer available.. Glad we got out our stuff before then. So then it changes again.. Oh no that room is ok.. we have a bunch of people coming in and they wanted the rooms together we are just going to go put them in another room... and you may have to switch rooms later.. WE are hear for three days we are not switching rooms and other people should not be screwed because we were.
On my way to entering a room I see a person open a door and I hear this is my room and then no this is my room. They messed up rooms and room keys and this was not the first time...

SO thats not it.. WE go to swim in the pool its freezing.. with to many bugs to count floating around. The whole section is dirty.. we go to the hot tub.. water is not hot maybe luck warm.. we give up the water park was to crazy and the whole trip was nothing but unnecessary chaos. Our trip in newberry at comfort inn no problem had a blast.. didnt have to go from building to another building deal with bugs and dirty pools and screens.. THe only good thing was the view. Thats was the only good thing. I would have switched to any other hotel.. They did not stand up to there agreement we did not get the room for free and we were not 100% happy.. WE left very unhappy and ready to go home. NOw we have to worry about added charges from the room upgrade

• Liked — The view of the bridge but you could have seen that at any hotel everything is with in walking distance
  • Disliked — The hot tub not hot. Pool cold with a bunch of bugs, Rooms not clean, Prices changing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

1. We reserved a suite well in advance, so for a good price - BUT it was NOT available - they gave it away to someone else.
2. For even a higher price they gave us two queens @ beachfront and expected us to be happy (and we were 6 people, including small kids)!
3. Room was... well, not what you'd like to spend your family vacation in. Except for a very helpful and kind maid, the rest was very discouraging. Place is old, not very clean, smelly at places, and definitely NOT worth the money.
4. Very crowded breakfast area, hard to get to wafer machine.

• Liked — A helpful maid
  • Disliked — Almost everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront? Share your experiences!