“Bad experience, would not recommend.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #31 of 41 hotels in Mackinaw City
Livonia, Michigan
“Bad experience, would not recommend.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Picture is very deceiving. Stayed here for 1 night for a wedding and would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel. First off, I reserved for $89 for 1 night, and a fellow co-worker saw an online price of $59. When I called back to have them match the price, they told me they could not accomodate me. I should have called and cancelled my reservation then, but I stuck with it. Upon arriving, I asked again, and they still refused to match the price. The manager got involved both times but did not care. Regarding the room itself - the sink did not work, there was a smell in the room (could not tell where it came from), and the sheets and towels smelled of this odor as well. I am not a very tall person, and the shower head was below my forehead. Lastly, breakfast was mediocre.

One last thing, the pool is separate from the hotel - meaning, you have to walk outside of the pool area, cross the parking lot, to get back to the hotel.

Overall, poor experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Howard City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Was not sure about this place at first after reading reviews. The staff was excellent. I' am a ChoiceHotel member and requested an upgrade to a suite and was upgraded to a two room suite. The room was great. The cost was only $48.00 per night due it starting to be off season. I stayed on a sunday night. If it was friday or saturday the upgrade would not have been possible. The room was clean and had a great view of the lake and island. Walking distance to downtown was acceptable. Will stay there again. I have stayed at other places in Mackinaw City that cost quite a bit more that were not as nice. Remember hotels in Mackinaw City get alott of use during the summer and it is hard to keep them a 100% perfect. The breakfast was one of the best I have had lately. Overall a good place to stay.

Room Tip: In Mackinaw City try and stay Sunday thru Thursday room rates are much higher on the wekends.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
West Olive, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for two nights for the truck show. We won't be staying there again any time soon. The room we had was somewhat clean but very dated. Small television,chipped tub with old worn vinyl on the floor.
The breakfast room was filthy the first morning we went down to eat. Although we were told that breakfast was til ten, when we got there at 9;20 there were no eggs and they never did refill them. We saw an attendant come through twice without ever looking at anything. The tables were empty but dirty and there was food laying all over the food tables and the floor. By 9:45 there were still people comming in but she was taking all the food away. The next day was a bit better. The price may be right but I would pay a bit more for a cleaner and better run operation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ypsilanti, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I booked a 2-night stay for a bike trip in Mackinaw City. We were put in a two-room condo-type building (which looked NOTHING like the photos). When we walked in we noticed a terribly overwhelming, chemical air-freshener smell. It seriously just about knocked us out. I also noticed that the bathroom and back bedroom windows were open. Being (stupidly) positively, I thought maybe the cleaning crew accidentally dumped some cleaning product while tidying up the room.

As we unpacked, I stepped next to the bed in the front "room" of the suite and noticed that the carpet was damp...ewwww. I called to the front desk and said that I noticed the damp carpet and strange mildew odor. They said that they would send the maintenance guy out to check it out. He came in and confirmed that the carpet was wet (duh) but did no further investigation (wouldn't you be worried that there was some sort of leak?!?) and grabbed a fan from the office.

When we woke up...omg...it smelled like someone died in the room. It was the most repulsive smell I have ever smelled. I called the front desk and they said that there was nothing they could do because all of their rooms were booked even though the vacancy sign was up (as mentioned by other tripadvisor reviewers). I pitched a fit at the front desk and was able to get out of the second night without a charge, but they refused to give me a discount for the night we stayed in that [--].

Dirty room, terrible customer service, room description couldn't have been further from the truth.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: We were able to get a nice room at the Fairview Inn right next door.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was a very nice hotel, and I was quite pleased. The room was somewhat small (but large enough for one/two). I had a private balcony looking out at Lake Huron, which was nice. The room was clean and quiet. The breakfast was surprisingly good for a mid-price motel. I even got to see Memorial Day fireworks from my balcony.

The hotel's private beach was pretty small and not that nice, but I didn't really care about that anyway.

The hotel is located about 1.5 miles from downtown Mackinaw City, but it's very close to the ferry terminals if you're going to Mackinaw Island (within walking distance).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Washington. MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The only thing going for this hotel is the view of Lake Huron and the surroundings. When I booked it shows a photo of a nice looking 3 story building. When we got there we were put into a dumpy 2 story. It is out of date which does not bother me this also is misrepresented in the photos online. What bothers me is the bugs in there. Dead and alive dead bug stains on walls and just the lack of cleanliness. The lock on the sliders are broken so they have you use a bar to close door. Things are in desperate need of repair. Spider webs everywhere. I would not recommend this hotel for anything other than the view.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel is by far the worst that I have ever stayed in. The manager shouldn't have his job. He belongs working on a computer in a windowless room, never dealing with the public. He was by far the rudest individual that I have ever encountered in the hospitality industry. I travel a great deal and have experienced all types of accomodations. This hotel shouldn't be in business. The hotel is desperately in need of cleaning and updating. The pictures on the internet are far off and this should be illegal since you are expecting some degree of matching and you make a reservation based on this information. The area around the bed was soaking wet and the wallpaper was peeling off. The bathroom was filthy. The TV wasn't working. The towels were worse than those used at a car wash for drying cars. When I called down to get help from the front desk, I was told by the Manager to not bother them and would be forced to leave if another call was made. The entire experience ruined our vacation. The elevator wasn't working and with a handicapped member of our party, this was near impossible to get down from the third floor. The concrete outside the room was filthy. The beach had runoff that appeared to be sludge. I would never let my children go anywhere near the beach. The pool was closed so my children were very disappointed. No explanation was given. No passes to any water park were ever offered. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront? Share your experiences!