“DO NOT STAY HERE!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 41 hotels in Mackinaw City
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I booked a 2-night stay for a bike trip in Mackinaw City. We were put in a two-room condo-type building (which looked NOTHING like the photos). When we walked in we noticed a terribly overwhelming, chemical air-freshener smell. It seriously just about knocked us out. I also noticed that the bathroom and back bedroom windows were open. Being (stupidly) positively, I thought maybe the cleaning crew accidentally dumped some cleaning product while tidying up the room.

As we unpacked, I stepped next to the bed in the front "room" of the suite and noticed that the carpet was damp...ewwww. I called to the front desk and said that I noticed the damp carpet and strange mildew odor. They said that they would send the maintenance guy out to check it out. He came in and confirmed that the carpet was wet (duh) but did no further investigation (wouldn't you be worried that there was some sort of leak?!?) and grabbed a fan from the office.

When we woke up...omg...it smelled like someone died in the room. It was the most repulsive smell I have ever smelled. I called the front desk and they said that there was nothing they could do because all of their rooms were booked even though the vacancy sign was up (as mentioned by other tripadvisor reviewers). I pitched a fit at the front desk and was able to get out of the second night without a charge, but they refused to give me a discount for the night we stayed in that [--].

Dirty room, terrible customer service, room description couldn't have been further from the truth.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: We were able to get a nice room at the Fairview Inn right next door.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Northern PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was a very nice hotel, and I was quite pleased. The room was somewhat small (but large enough for one/two). I had a private balcony looking out at Lake Huron, which was nice. The room was clean and quiet. The breakfast was surprisingly good for a mid-price motel. I even got to see Memorial Day fireworks from my balcony.

The hotel's private beach was pretty small and not that nice, but I didn't really care about that anyway.

The hotel is located about 1.5 miles from downtown Mackinaw City, but it's very close to the ferry terminals if you're going to Mackinaw Island (within walking distance).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Washington. MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The only thing going for this hotel is the view of Lake Huron and the surroundings. When I booked it shows a photo of a nice looking 3 story building. When we got there we were put into a dumpy 2 story. It is out of date which does not bother me this also is misrepresented in the photos online. What bothers me is the bugs in there. Dead and alive dead bug stains on walls and just the lack of cleanliness. The lock on the sliders are broken so they have you use a bar to close door. Things are in desperate need of repair. Spider webs everywhere. I would not recommend this hotel for anything other than the view.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel is by far the worst that I have ever stayed in. The manager shouldn't have his job. He belongs working on a computer in a windowless room, never dealing with the public. He was by far the rudest individual that I have ever encountered in the hospitality industry. I travel a great deal and have experienced all types of accomodations. This hotel shouldn't be in business. The hotel is desperately in need of cleaning and updating. The pictures on the internet are far off and this should be illegal since you are expecting some degree of matching and you make a reservation based on this information. The area around the bed was soaking wet and the wallpaper was peeling off. The bathroom was filthy. The TV wasn't working. The towels were worse than those used at a car wash for drying cars. When I called down to get help from the front desk, I was told by the Manager to not bother them and would be forced to leave if another call was made. The entire experience ruined our vacation. The elevator wasn't working and with a handicapped member of our party, this was near impossible to get down from the third floor. The concrete outside the room was filthy. The beach had runoff that appeared to be sludge. I would never let my children go anywhere near the beach. The pool was closed so my children were very disappointed. No explanation was given. No passes to any water park were ever offered. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lake City, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family decided to surprise our sister who is retiring in September with a weekend getaway to Mackinaw Island. The staff at quality Inn was excellent. The Hotel Manager made sure all 14 of us were is very comfortable rooms, offered the use of their breakfast room and checked on us several times throughout the stay. As the planner in the group he checked in often to be sure that we had what we needed and was very friendly and even offered for us to have a campfire on the beach for our last night there. We all were very pleased and found the rooms clean and inviting and comfortable., We had never done anything like this before but everyone enjoyed the time together and we were all able to be together to celebrate this great event in our sisters life. We will defiantly be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Dirty. Even the kids were grossed out. We were put in an outdated building ( not the nice one in the photo). It was quite a hike from the car to the room. The room was rundown and dirty. We couldn't wait to get out of there. I felt sorry for all the people who booked more than one night. I will say that the staff was nice. Also,the pool was not bad. But I would not go back.

• Stayed August 2012
Lewiston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Dirty, paid to see the bridge put on end room had to walk past other rooms on balcony to the end to see the bridge. I do not recommend anyone stay here. Lots of barking, disturbing dogs. Cheap coffee pot didn't work. They should be ashamed to offer this place to the public!

Room Tip: Stay someplace else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront? Share your experiences!