“Care-and-Feeding in Mackinaw” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Mackinaw City/Beachfront Area

You added Super 8 Mackinaw City/Beachfront Area to your Saves list
Super 8 Mackinaw City/Beachfront Area
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   519 South Huron, Central & Huron, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
HASLETT
“Care-and-Feeding in Mackinaw”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Worst Internet access in our 23-day trip from Michigan out to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, etc., and back.
Front desk staff seemed preoccupied at Check-In, and two desk staff were having a big argument (Jamaican?) during breakfast!!
Well-dressed (Jamaican?) women just laughed off our comments about Internet being essentially unavailable.
Will NOT stay at this unit again! (Always pleasant experiences at other "8's" including the Bridgeview unit in Mackinaw,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Toronto Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here 2 night in mid-September. Not by choice though. We were late getting into the city after spening the day in the Agawa Canyon. When the Comfort Inn a few doors down couldn't reach us (no service!) they gave our room away. They were nice enough to call the Super 8 who had a room available. They did give us the same rate as the Comfort Inn and we even got a lakefront room (which we didn't have at the CI), so we were happy with that. The view is very nice.

The rooms are in dire need of updating. Old carpets and bedspeads, small tube TV's and NO working Wifi. This has been a complaint for a while apparently. I had to go into the lobby just to get a signal. You have to go across the parking lot to get to the pool. We never bothered. On the plus side, the bathroom was modern and clean and the beds were comfy.

As is somewhat of a pattern here, we found the young guy at the front desk to be somewhat rude and curt. The women I dealt with were all very nice and helpful.

We were a little disappointed not to get the hotel we wanted. This place was just ok. But I wouldn't stay here again.

michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

From the moment we checked in and Mr. Unfriendly waited on us till we checked out and there was someone a head of me that was leaving very unhappy, it was not a good experience. Our room was in the building next door. It was a beachfront room, but the patio doors were so dirty or stained you could not see out of them. The room was sooo outdated! The bathroom flooring was coming up. The small fridge was sitting on the floor and not on a table. The curtains did not fit the entire rod. The rack to hold the extra towels was hanging on the wall in front of the sink! I wished I would have taken a picture to post, it looked like a 10 year old hung it there! The room smelled very musty and I was pretty sure that the bedspread had not been cleaned in awhile. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! However, my daughters room was near the office and it was in much better shape. It looked like they started to remodel with some new flooring, etc., but it was not finished. Why they would rent out a room that exposed sub floor and nails?? We did not go to the breakfast area, just from peaking into the room I new I could not eat there.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and I decided to get an early start on our trip to break the driving up over an extra day. We drove the first afternoon up to Mackinaw City and overnighted at the Super 8. We did not have a reservation. We were also traveling with two pets. We were given a king bed room on the lower level with a doorwall facing the beach. We pulled in late and left early, so I cannot comment on any amenities or attractions.

The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. Furnishing were a bit dated and worn, but still in decent shape. I rate it slightly above average. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here with a large group for an annual family getaway. I called a couple months in advance to get a block of rooms at a reduced rate. I was somewhat disappointed that I had to secure all 8 rooms with my credit card, and cancel any unneeded rooms two weeks before our trip or else I would be charged for them. I had to cancel 1 room, as one couple didn't think they could go. However, the week before our trip, they decided to go and called the hotel. They said they were with my party, and even though there were rooms available, the hotel would not honor the group rate because I had already cancelled the 8th room. They ended up staying at a hotel across the street that gave them the same rates as our group rate. Another couple in my party also had a problem getting a room in my block because the girl that answered the phone didn't understand what she wanted and couldn't find my name in the computer system anywhere. They had to call back and speak with David, who had originally set up the block for me. The rooms were average motel rooms, nothing fancy. The chain lock was missing from our door, the cable on our tv was loose and could not be tightened so we didn't get good reception, and the beds were pretty hard. There was wifi, but the only place my daughter could connect was in the lobby directly in front of the router. I thought there was supposed to be a microwave in the room, but there wasn't. The parking lot was too small. There were never enough spaces for all of the cars, and it was a very tight squeeze when you did find a space. They did at least put all of our rooms together, so that was nice. The breakfast was ok, but not a lot of choices. The maids seemed to be cleaning a lot, inside the rooms, and the outdoor spaces, and everyone I encountered were very pleasant. We didn't have a beach view, but there is easy access, and it was a pretty view. We were able to easily walk to the shopping district which was nice. I would probably stay here again, as the location was nice, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for a fancy place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back have a beach view. There are two floors, and no elevator. We were in rooms 204-2...
Dearborn, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed here 1 night with mom and 2 dogs. Location is super.... Short want to main drag... Lots of grass for dogs to sniff. We had a beachfront room, which was nice. Room was nicely decorated, though bath was a bit tired, but both very clean. For convienience, beachfront loc, and pet friendly amenity, would stay here again. Nothing fancy here... Pretty basic, but fine for me.

• Stayed September 2012
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Basic motel. Cheap and cheerful. Just what we needed for a nights stay. Wifi was hard to connect to in our room though. Expect basic & outdated and you won't be dissapointed. We stayed here when driving west, it seemed in the middle of all the other hotels and restaurants. No complaints from us.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Super 8 Mackinaw City/Beachfront Area? Share your experiences!