“Beware!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
south lyon, Michigan
“Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

The first problem I had was that they advertise WiFi but that is not true unless you are in the office. When I explained that for the money I was paying for the room I expected WiFi they pretty much told me too bad. So as I sat in the office checking my online banking I was shocked to find that I was charged twice for the room. I asked the lady at the counter and again I got the that's too bad attitude. I asked what happen she told me that they charge my debit card on file a deposit charge on top of the room charge. I ask when I would get the money back and was told ten days. Finally after making a big stink did a gentleman name Milton called the bank and fix the charge. I wish I could say that was the only problem but it wasn't. The room was dirty (bloody sheets, dirty bathroom, spider webs). This hotel reminded me of the motels that charge by the hour.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
marquette,mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

We were told that the Navy shut down the service to all of Mackinaw city. I called several hotels in the immediate area and was told they did have internet access and didn't know anything about the shut down ordered by the navy. They had never heard of anything like that. The following morning we had internet access for about an hour and it went down. When we returned in the evening there was no internet again. So i called the Reservations number and talked to corporate and wow internet worked the rest of our visit.
room was clean and we had lakeside view. had a fridge and the rate was reasonable .but we stayed teusday till friday. with a friday checkout.
Not enough room for the breakfast area and was told if we went out to guard our food so the seagulls wouldn't get it. only 2 tables inside.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Southgate MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

After booking our room, I happened upon this web site and read the horrible reviews. I called and talked to Milton, who assured me that the hotel wasn't as bad as the reviews made it sound. I trusted him and was glad I did not cancel my reservations. My children and I had a WONDERFUL experience, not AT ALL like the reviews here. Everyone was more than helpful, the room was very clean, the beach was clean and we especially enjoyed the "breakfast lady" as we called her. There was more than enough coffee, food and fellowship, not to mention room to sit and eat. And we are not early risers, on most days it was close to 9:30 before we even got down to breakfast. She even made our waffles for us!!! I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a pleasant stay in Mackinaw City. Jody

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Holt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

We booked the room- one which sleeps 6, online, received a confirmation number, then arrived at 5:30 to find that, they gave away our room. They then offerred us the use of another room for $50.00 more per night. Since it was Labor Day weekend, our hands were tied. The room was filthy, poorly mainteined- cracks in ceiling, spiderwebs, broken blinds, holes in screens, stains on carpet, and was mildewy and moldy smelling. I had stayed at this hotel 3 years ago and didn't have this problem- management must be going downhill. Anyway, we reported our concerns and the only thing they did was send a maid up to spray lysol for the smell. The front desk workers, Frank and another lady, were so rude to us! The breakfast was horrible, just a bunch of cold donuts and pastries, (the Hamilton inn, next door had a ful hot breakfast), the pool area was dirty- the wallpaper in the pool area bathroom was peeling off the wall, revealing tons of black mold underneath, and there were dirty towels on the bathroom floor that were not picked up for over 6 hours! All this while the front desk people were sitting on their rear ends, playing on the computer (you can see them from the pool). I would advise you NOT stay in this hotel. There are certainly better hotels for your money!!! And I have been previously a loyal COMFORT INN customer, but this has turned me off this chain and I will be checking out others.

• Liked — location on the beach- although the beach was littered with trash-not kept picked up
  • Disliked — dirty rooms, rude front desk workers, minimal breakfast,
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Allegan, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

First of all don't even think they will let you check in early, when they say 4 PM, that is what time you will check in (not a minute sooner). As far as the Hotel (motel in my book, You enter rooms from outside). Wasn't anything fance just plain rooms, lots of bats outside of rooms in hallways, one bat did even chase our son down the hallway at night, talked to front desk about it and they said they will TRY to remove them, but insisted they are harmless. Harmless or not we didn't pay that much money to have our kids afraid to walk to the pool or car every night. All in all I would not recommend this hotel at all, the only thing we did like about the stay was the very friendly lady doing the morning breakfast. Pool and Hot tub could use a good cleaning as well.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

First of all I went here for my 30th birthday. What a dissappointment. My inlaws came with us. Saturday morning they woke up to find bed bugs in their room (room 115) we took the bug to the front desk and the lady denied it was a bed bug. Only to find out it was after looking on the internet. Wasn't hard to verify. The hotel moved them into another room next door that was non-smoking only to have the room just reek of smoke. My husband and I stayed 4 rooms down from them were we ran out of hot water in the morning, had bats living by our doorway and hanging & sleeping. We also did not have wireless internet as stated on the site & brochure.
The cleaning lady said that the bats won't bother if left alone, but they can emit rabies if they are awake. They did remove some of the bats, only to find more later at night when we got back to the hotel.
When we checked out we had asked for a discount or something to accomodate the problem and they said that they won't do anything about it.
The hotel was expensive and not worth the money.
As for the indoor water park, very kid friendly, but the water is ice ice cold and the hot tub area was only luke warm.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the bats & bed bugs
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
grand rapids
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

We had a terrible experience with this particular hotel. I found out last week that three of my family members died in an accident. My husband called that same day to let the hotel know we would need to cancel our reservations. Their response "because we hadn't called by noon, there was nothing they could do, and charged us for the room". After repeated phone calls we still have gotten no where. We are now in the process of fighting it through our bank.
I have never heard of such a thing especially with everything else I am going through.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn Lakeside? Share your experiences!