“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 41 hotels in Mackinaw City
MN
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the area for our honeymoon. I booked the room online, based on other reviews and the fantastic prices. When we arrived, the lady(Teresa was her name) that greeted us was warm and welcoming and very friendly. She gave us tips and stuff for the area and some coupons for the city and the ferry to the island. Check in was a breeze and we were given a gift certificate to a great restaurant in town and a bottle of champange to celebrate our honeymoon:) Our room was VERY clean and spacious. The jacuzzi tub was great and the room was very quaint and cute. Bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good. We will most definitely return to the Thunderbird Inn when we return to the area! Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here two nights in October. The room was clean and comfortable. The appliances are a bit old but they all work fine. Everything is a bit dated but the price is right and for use as a base for exploring the surrounding area it works very well. They provide a very nice breakfast with cereal, eggs, waffles, coffee, juice etc. It is more than enough to get you going in the morning. It is a little ways out from the docks and the center of town. you could walk, but it is a easy short drive. The staff was helpful and friendly. It's a no frills type of place and not a resort type place so don't expect that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for the great and honest comments. We realize we are not brand new also, but our goal has been and will remain clean, comfortable, and affordable. That being said I will work on upgrading some of the appliances as soon as I can. And I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us and Mackinaw City. :)

Teresa Andrson/GM
Traverse City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I'll admit it. I'm a cheapskate. Always searching for the best deal, I sometimes skimp on quality. I lucked out this time. Thunderbird Inn was a delightful surprise - clean, spacious rooms with a decent breakfast and an indoor pool too! You can't beat the price or the location. Beds were really comfortable and the place was quiet - we even had a big bus tour there and we didn't hear a thing. We will definitely check this one out again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, and I'm glad to hear you'll be joining us again. Safe travels, have a great day!

Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was the cheapest room we could find while passing through.

Check in and out was excellent. Room itself was fine - basic but clean. We requested and received a ground floor room so it was nice being able to park right outside our door.

Breakfast in the morning was the usual continental assortment - toast, waffles etc. The staff in the breakfast room was amazing though.

The indoor pool was a big bonus and we really enjoyed it. The water was very warm and a pleasant to swim in. Our only complaint was that it wasn't open at the time it was supposed to be, so several of us were standing outside in the cold waiting to find out if the fellow was going to come and open it.

ktown

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room for easy access to your vehicle.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
I would like to start by apologizing for maintenance not open the pool at the designated time, and I'm sorry you had to stand in the cold that is unexceptable. I will make the nessessary changes to make sure this does not happen again. I am glad you enjoyed the room and breakfast. I will pass your comments along to the attendant as well. Its always nice to hear your doing a good job.:)

Grand Bend, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Reviews were very good so decided to try on return trip. It turned out to be an excellent choice for comfort, service and value. Breakfast was better than average with a spacious eating area. Rooms were very nice an comfortable. The pool looked nice but we didn't try it. The wireless Internet worked well after a call and starting by going out to the pool area and returning to room. Some sort of weak signal problem. All in all this was a great choice and worthy of a repeat.

Room Tip: For Internet close to office as possible
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. I do apologize for the internet signal it is something we are constantly working on, and I have no plans on stopping until the issue is resolved.

Calumet, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My friend and I just returned from Mackinac City. We stayed at the Thunderbird on 9/ 15 & 16th. We had a nice clean room, great breakfast, big clean pool! I only have 1 complaint and that is towards the housekeeping. When we checked in we didn't have any towels in our rm. We called the desk in which we were told that they were still being washed. We never got any!! We went and had to take pool towels to use. The next day we got back from the island and we came back to find that our beds weren't made, no clean glasses , 4 bath towels, ( no smaller ones) and no toilet paper! I have NEVER been in any motel where they didn't make the beds , even if you agreed to not having the sheets changed! Overall though, had a good stay!!! Wish the pool opened earlier though, so we could swim before checkout! ;-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay, I do apologize about the housekeeping and will work very hard to see that that does not happen to anyone else. I will also get some new towels ordered so people arn't having to wait. I hope you enjoyed Mackinaw.

Teresa Anderson/GM

Been to Thunderbird Inn? Share your experiences!