“Very good for the price” 5 of 5 stars

Thunderbird Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   146 Old US Hwy 31, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #15 of 41 hotels in Mackinaw City
Kingston, Canada
“Very good for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was the cheapest room we could find while passing through.

Check in and out was excellent. Room itself was fine - basic but clean. We requested and received a ground floor room so it was nice being able to park right outside our door.

Breakfast in the morning was the usual continental assortment - toast, waffles etc. The staff in the breakfast room was amazing though.

The indoor pool was a big bonus and we really enjoyed it. The water was very warm and a pleasant to swim in. Our only complaint was that it wasn't open at the time it was supposed to be, so several of us were standing outside in the cold waiting to find out if the fellow was going to come and open it.

ktown

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room for easy access to your vehicle.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I would like to start by apologizing for maintenance not open the pool at the designated time, and I'm sorry you had to stand in the cold that is unexceptable. I will make the nessessary changes to make sure this does not happen again. I am glad you enjoyed the room and breakfast. I will pass your comments along to the attendant as well. Its always nice to hear your doing a good job.:)

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Grand Bend, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Reviews were very good so decided to try on return trip. It turned out to be an excellent choice for comfort, service and value. Breakfast was better than average with a spacious eating area. Rooms were very nice an comfortable. The pool looked nice but we didn't try it. The wireless Internet worked well after a call and starting by going out to the pool area and returning to room. Some sort of weak signal problem. All in all this was a great choice and worthy of a repeat.

Room Tip: For Internet close to office as possible
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. I do apologize for the internet signal it is something we are constantly working on, and I have no plans on stopping until the issue is resolved.

Calumet, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My friend and I just returned from Mackinac City. We stayed at the Thunderbird on 9/ 15 & 16th. We had a nice clean room, great breakfast, big clean pool! I only have 1 complaint and that is towards the housekeeping. When we checked in we didn't have any towels in our rm. We called the desk in which we were told that they were still being washed. We never got any!! We went and had to take pool towels to use. The next day we got back from the island and we came back to find that our beds weren't made, no clean glasses , 4 bath towels, ( no smaller ones) and no toilet paper! I have NEVER been in any motel where they didn't make the beds , even if you agreed to not having the sheets changed! Overall though, had a good stay!!! Wish the pool opened earlier though, so we could swim before checkout! ;-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay, I do apologize about the housekeeping and will work very hard to see that that does not happen to anyone else. I will also get some new towels ordered so people arn't having to wait. I hope you enjoyed Mackinaw.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We pulled in just before midnight looking for a clean motel at a good price. We usually stay at larger chains but find the price high in tourist areas. They had a king available at a great price. The room was very clean and in good condition with the room amenities found in chain Boyle's. The hot breakfast was tasty. The folks were friendly and even allowed us to fill our coffee thermostat for the road. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I am very happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you on your next trip to Mackinaw. If I may be of any further service please don't hesitate to let me know.

South Lyon, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Location was good.room was clean,towels and linens could be updated.could have gotten a better rate as a walkin because end of season. Breakfast was good. Bed to soft for me but overall nice place

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

I am glad you enjoyed your stay I apologize if the beds were to soft. I hope we will see you again when you come through the area and we will work on a better price for you.

Appleton, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My boyfriend picked the hotel on our recent weekend getaway to Mackinac. He was drawn in by the price, the fact that there was a "indoor pool", and that they offered a continental breakfast. When we pulled in to the motel I didn't have high hopes. Walked in to the lobby to find every surface covered in cat hair and a cat jumping up on the counters, all over the sofas, etc. I didn't even want to set my bag down. Not the warm greeting someone with cat allergies needs. The room was ok - no signs of cat hair, at least. Bed/bedding was quite comfortable and contemporary. Decor was dated, but I didn't expect anything too fancy from Mackinaw City, especially for the price. TV was old and the reception often poor. Would have appreciated more outlets or powerstrips for charging the cell phones, iPad, electric razor, etc.

Hotel is very close to a couple ferry lines. In fact we walked back to the hotel when the ferry returned to dock rather than waiting for the shuttle to drop us off. There's a sidewalk the whole way, but you do have to cross two main roads to get back to the hotel. When we got back to the parking lot, we found a note on my windshield stating the housekeeping cart had been blown into my car while we were away. There must have been a hurricane while we were on the island. We found a fairly sizable dent on the front drivers side fender and a large divot and scuffs on the factory chrome rim. Not cheap repairs! Guess the Thunderbird Inn really did leave an impression. It's been almost a month and the hotel's insurance company has yet to even acknowledge the incident, let alone pay out so I can repair my damaged "baby". The manager was very nice and apologetic about the whole thing, but that doesn't fix the $1500 damage done.

If housekeeping had kept better control of their cart, this hotel would easily earn an extra point or two on the ratings scale. If you do chance it and stay here, park as far away from your room as possible. We will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Once again I would like to apologize for the cart. There was not a hurricane but it was a very windy day. We have taken way more preventable measures to ensure this does not happen again. If you are still having issues with the insurance company please call me and I will do whatever I can to assist you.

Teresa Anderson/GM

Been to Thunderbird Inn? Share your experiences!