“towels, what towels?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 41 hotels in Mackinaw City
Calumet, Michigan
“towels, what towels?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My friend and I just returned from Mackinac City. We stayed at the Thunderbird on 9/ 15 & 16th. We had a nice clean room, great breakfast, big clean pool! I only have 1 complaint and that is towards the housekeeping. When we checked in we didn't have any towels in our rm. We called the desk in which we were told that they were still being washed. We never got any!! We went and had to take pool towels to use. The next day we got back from the island and we came back to find that our beds weren't made, no clean glasses , 4 bath towels, ( no smaller ones) and no toilet paper! I have NEVER been in any motel where they didn't make the beds , even if you agreed to not having the sheets changed! Overall though, had a good stay!!! Wish the pool opened earlier though, so we could swim before checkout! ;-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay, I do apologize about the housekeeping and will work very hard to see that that does not happen to anyone else. I will also get some new towels ordered so people arn't having to wait. I hope you enjoyed Mackinaw.

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We pulled in just before midnight looking for a clean motel at a good price. We usually stay at larger chains but find the price high in tourist areas. They had a king available at a great price. The room was very clean and in good condition with the room amenities found in chain Boyle's. The hot breakfast was tasty. The folks were friendly and even allowed us to fill our coffee thermostat for the road. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I am very happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you on your next trip to Mackinaw. If I may be of any further service please don't hesitate to let me know.

South Lyon, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Location was good.room was clean,towels and linens could be updated.could have gotten a better rate as a walkin because end of season. Breakfast was good. Bed to soft for me but overall nice place

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

I am glad you enjoyed your stay I apologize if the beds were to soft. I hope we will see you again when you come through the area and we will work on a better price for you.

Appleton, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My boyfriend picked the hotel on our recent weekend getaway to Mackinac. He was drawn in by the price, the fact that there was a "indoor pool", and that they offered a continental breakfast. When we pulled in to the motel I didn't have high hopes. Walked in to the lobby to find every surface covered in cat hair and a cat jumping up on the counters, all over the sofas, etc. I didn't even want to set my bag down. Not the warm greeting someone with cat allergies needs. The room was ok - no signs of cat hair, at least. Bed/bedding was quite comfortable and contemporary. Decor was dated, but I didn't expect anything too fancy from Mackinaw City, especially for the price. TV was old and the reception often poor. Would have appreciated more outlets or powerstrips for charging the cell phones, iPad, electric razor, etc.

Hotel is very close to a couple ferry lines. In fact we walked back to the hotel when the ferry returned to dock rather than waiting for the shuttle to drop us off. There's a sidewalk the whole way, but you do have to cross two main roads to get back to the hotel. When we got back to the parking lot, we found a note on my windshield stating the housekeeping cart had been blown into my car while we were away. There must have been a hurricane while we were on the island. We found a fairly sizable dent on the front drivers side fender and a large divot and scuffs on the factory chrome rim. Not cheap repairs! Guess the Thunderbird Inn really did leave an impression. It's been almost a month and the hotel's insurance company has yet to even acknowledge the incident, let alone pay out so I can repair my damaged "baby". The manager was very nice and apologetic about the whole thing, but that doesn't fix the $1500 damage done.

If housekeeping had kept better control of their cart, this hotel would easily earn an extra point or two on the ratings scale. If you do chance it and stay here, park as far away from your room as possible. We will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Once again I would like to apologize for the cart. There was not a hurricane but it was a very windy day. We have taken way more preventable measures to ensure this does not happen again. If you are still having issues with the insurance company please call me and I will do whatever I can to assist you.

Farmington Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The word "Inn" should be exchanged with "Motel". That is exactly what this place is. Small to average size room. Table top surfaces looked clean but it could have used a more thorough vacumming. Few updates have been made but this place definitely could use a few more. Hairdryer is availble but it is ancient. Bathroom was clean. My husband went to take a dip in the pool and came right back because there was a strong odor that he could not stand in the pool area. The continental breakfast was actually decent. It was better than most continental breakfasts I have had. Not a far drive to the ferry's for Mackinac Island. This room was good for one night of sleep. If we were staying in the area any longer I would have looked for somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for leaving a comment for our hotel and being honest. We know we are not brand new but we strive to be clean, comfortable, and affordable. We are making more and more improvments everyday the hairdryers have already begun to be changed out. I hope you enjoyed Mackinaw City and your vacation.

Teresa Anderson-DItta/GM
Ringgold, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This "hotel" had so many good reviews, we decided to stay here for our anniversary weekend. I have to say I was disappointed. This is a motel not a hotel. If I knew that, I would have adjusted my expectations. here is a list of the highlights.
- The first thing to greet me were 3 bats living on the screen window.
- The internet never worked.
- The iron was ducked taped together.
- The shower faucet just dripped down, I had to move the setting to massage to get water to come out.
- The room itself is outdated. Old carpet.
- The breakfast was small. Long wait for waffles. They should invest in another waffle maker.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Let me start with apologizing for your stay, I would love it if you could call me to speak directly with you about it, as I don't know your full name or what room you were in so i can start correcting the issues you had. The bats get removed on a daily basis but sometimes they fly right back I do apologize about them as well. Please call me at your earliest convience so we may discuss this further.

Coopersville, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had made reservations at a different motel and when we got there it was such a dump we couldn't stay so we came over to this motel and were glad we did. The price was reasonable for someone like us who cannot afford the luxury places and the room was a lot bigger than we expected for the price which really impressed us. We liked the room and were very comfortable here which to us is a big part of a vacation. There was an issue with no not water the first night and the sink and bath fixtures could use some repair and also the little minifridge doesn't work the best but they were not problems that made us want to leave and not come back. The staff were all very friendly and pleasant and very willing to help us with any concerns we had. They even welcomed our cat that travels with us. We will definitely stay here again and would recommend this motel to others.

Room Tip: We like the rooms across from the breakfast and pool area.